Old January 21st 10, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How do you spell Haringey?

In message , at 14:10:14
on Thu, 21 Jan 2010, DW downunder remarked:
What's AltGr?

A key often found near the righthand end of the space-bar. It stands for
ALTernative GRaphics, but is just another super-shift key.
Old January 21st 10, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

Acute accents are the easy ones in Windows, just Ctrl+Alt+letter.

Or, more easily, AltGr+letter.

What's AltGr?

A little-used key on standard keyboards, which is why I forgot it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 21st 10, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:10:14 on
Thu, 21 Jan 2010, DW downunder remarked:
What's AltGr?

A key often found near the righthand end of the space-bar. It stands for
ALTernative GRaphics, but is just another super-shift key.

The one on my Toshiba lappie brings up the [Edit] menu. I think we can
conclude that mileages do vary quite a bit on this one ......

Cheers

DW downunder

Old January 21st 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:38:19
on Thu, 21 Jan 2010, DW downunder remarked:
What's AltGr?

A key often found near the righthand end of the space-bar. It stands
for ALTernative GRaphics, but is just another super-shift key.

The one on my Toshiba lappie brings up the [Edit] menu.

You can set "shortcuts" on keyboard keys, so your Toshiba must have that
one active. AltE I presume.

I think we can conclude that mileages do vary quite a bit on this one

IBM PC keyboards are hugely complex, and to some extent a forgotten art;
although I suspect the Internationalised Domain Names project is
resurrecting some of the skills. Start here and see how byzantine it all
is; "mileage varying" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page

And inevitably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr

AltGr4 is one of the most useful here, being a Euro Symbol. Which
would be defeated if AltGr has the kind of shortcut you describe
installed.

Phew. This takes me back to designing keyboards in the mid-80's. One of
my staff did what I believe to be the first mass-produced Russian
keyboards, as well as our efforts in about 15 different traditional
European languages.
Old January 21st 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:38:19 on
[...]

I'm not going off the planet, just at the other end of it.

The answer is here (copied from the wiki reference on AltGr above):

QUOTE
Using the AltGr key on UK & Irish keyboards in some versions of Windows (for
example XP) in combination with vowel characters produces acute accents over
the vowels (for example, á,é,í,ó,ú and Á,É,Í,Ó,Ú).
end QUOTE

My lappie KB is clearly not British - my word, chaps, that just won't do!

In fact, it most likely is US International. I shall have to have a play
sometime to see if it is a user choice, etc. So, while good for those on ukr
with British/Irish keyboards, if it doesn't work, chances are that it's a US
International keyboard, requiring use of the CTL-ALT-nnn keystrokes.

DW downunder

Old January 21st 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:23:13
on Thu, 21 Jan 2010, DW downunder remarked:
In fact, it most likely is US International. I shall have to have a
play sometime to see if it is a user choice, etc. So, while good for
those on ukr with British/Irish keyboards, if it doesn't work, chances
are that it's a US International keyboard, requiring use of the
CTL-ALT-nnn keystrokes.

It's a combination of things, but few Brits are likely to have a US
keyboard (unless it's a grey import) because of the lack of a Ł key.
Mapping between the key positions and what the software "sees" is
explained in great detail in the links I gave.
Old January 21st 10, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:39:56 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
although I suspect the Internationalised Domain Names project is
resurrecting some of the skills. Start here and see how byzantine it all

Isn't that a great idea. Make it impossible for most of the world to type
in certain URLs.

my staff did what I believe to be the first mass-produced Russian
keyboards, as well as our efforts in about 15 different traditional

I'm pretty sure the russians mass produced their own keyboards before you
got in on the act albeit maybe not for the IBM PC.

B2003

Old January 21st 10, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, wrote:

In article ,

(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but
the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came. Manea
still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

tom

--
An unreliable programming language generating unreliable programs
constitutes a far greater risk to our environment and to our society than