Old January 21st 10, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default How do you spell Haringey?

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Jeremy Double wrote:

Peter Beale wrote:

Surely Hannover/Hanover is not a misspelling, but simply the English
version - cf Wien/Vienna and countless others.

And of course there are even alternative language placenames within the UK
(Abertawe-Swansea, Wrecsam-Wrexham, Manchester-Manceinion etc)...

And, dragging this back on topic, Llundain!

tom

--
An unreliable programming language generating unreliable programs
constitutes a far greater risk to our environment and to our society than

Old January 22nd 10, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but
the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came.
Manea still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

I wouldn't mention it either. It's pronounced completely differently for a
start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 22nd 10, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but
the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came.
Manea still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

I wouldn't mention it either. It's pronounced completely differently for a
start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

So is it Wittel - sea, or Wittel - say, or Wittel - see - uh
Man - ee - uh, Man - ay - ah or Man - ee
Jude - ay - ah and Jude - ee - ah seem to me equally common among those who
speak of the area, preachers being a large subgroup thereof.

So, what am I to make of all this ..... while the good folks in Whittlesea
near Melbourne, Victoria are a little more concerned about whether they will
have a town to give a name to after the severity of recent bushfires not
only through Victoria, but we've seen some serious wildfires occuring in
Western Australia now. Having put that in perspective, I've always known
Whittlesea to be Wittel - sea ... and the end of the line from Melbourne
through Epping.

DW downunder

Old January 23rd 10, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

wrote in message
In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/
but the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably
wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came.
Manea still uses the same ending.

Not to mention Judea.

I wouldn't mention it either. It's pronounced completely differently
for a start.

So is it Wittel - sea, or Wittel - say, or Wittel - see - uh

Wittel - sea.

Man - ee - uh, Man - ay - ah or Man - ee

May - nee.

Jude - ay - ah and Jude - ee - ah seem to me equally common among
those who speak of the area, preachers being a large subgroup
thereof.

Pass. Not the same and Manea, anyway.

So, what am I to make of all this ..... while the good folks in
Whittlesea near Melbourne, Victoria are a little more concerned
about whether they will have a town to give a name to after the
severity of recent bushfires not only through Victoria, but we've
seen some serious wildfires occuring in Western Australia now.
Having put that in perspective, I've always known Whittlesea to be
Wittel - sea ... and the end of the line from Melbourne through
Epping.

I suppose you can't pronounce the village of Quy either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 23rd 10, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

wrote in message
In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010,
wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

[...]

It doesn't involve a change at Edgeware Rd, by any chance?

Ah, thought not. In that case, like approximately 98% of place names not
based on English, or my limited smattering of French and Hebrew, most likely
have to make a prat of myself, or humbly ask.

On the other hand, I do know that there's a Vale of Bee-vah, that horses go
round the Dah-bee and that Berks live in Bark-shar (all of which are
pronounced in a terribly un-British way over here). And if there was an
Arabic influence on Quy, it'd come out Guy (like guide), or with French
influence: Ghee (like glee, key, we, etc).

Colin - hope you've found a way with luggage, non-folding bicycle and
children/grandchildren tugging to get from A to B with least drama. There's
been a lot of thought put in by folks here about how to minimise the impact
of the T-Cup on one of those on the "losing" side of the balance sheet.

Cheers

DW downunder

Old January 23rd 10, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

On the other hand, I do know that there's a Vale of Bee-vah, that
horses go round the Dah-bee and that Berks live in Bark-shar (all
of which are pronounced in a terribly un-British way over here).
And if there was an Arabic influence on Quy, it'd come out Guy
(like guide), or with French influence: Ghee (like glee, key, we,
etc).

None of the above. It's pronounced like the bridge over the river.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 23rd 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

On the other hand, I do know that there's a Vale of Bee-vah, that
horses go round the Dah-bee and that Berks live in Bark-shar (all
of which are pronounced in a terribly un-British way over here).
And if there was an Arabic influence on Quy, it'd come out Guy
(like guide), or with French influence: Ghee (like glee, key, we,
etc).

None of the above. It's pronounced like the bridge over the river.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

The one in Burma (or whatever name is in use today by the regime to identify
the place and people it oppresses), rendered "Kwai" in most (albeit 30+
years past) occasions I've seen reference to it? I s'pose Quy conveys the
same sense, but less unambiguously..

But haven't we taken this far enough off topic, after all it isn't
uk.colony.railway or japan.oppressors.slavelabour.railway.bridges G

DW downunder