Old January 27th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default SWT Closes Platform 1 Entrance/Exit at Feltham at 23.00

In a master stroke of inconsideration for hapless passengers trying to
get home late at night South West Trains - the company headed by a bus
driver - has in its wisdom - decided to make things really difficult
at Feltham Station.

At 23.00 to 06.30 it is now closing all entrances and exits at
platform 1 (on the up line). It just so happens that the major bus
station interchange is also situated just outside platform 1. The 285
all night bus runs to/from Healthrow and Kingston and uses that bus
station - the area IS a major bus/rail interchange for the area.

Now with the late night closure of all entrances/exits between
platform 1 and the bus station any arriving or departing passengers
will have to lummox their luggage over the railway footbridge in order
to use the gate at platform 2. This gate effectively dumps them late
at night in the station car park which is not served by any buses at
all. In order to get from platform 2 to the bus station (outside
platform 1) this means a walk of about half a mile around the
industrial zone; or alternatively along an unlit alley-way to the
level crossing - in an area of town more noted for its drunks and
feral youths. That is if anyone knows the way.

However, in yet further inconsideration to its hapless passengers, no
direction signs have been erected to help them. The extrance/exit
gates at platform 1 are simply locked at 23.00 and that's that. And
for the disabled, aged, or less than mobile - this unwarranted closure
is a gross inconvenience.

But then with a trainco headed by an ex-bus driver I suppose that
consideration for the paying public is the least of priorities.

CJB.

Old January 27th 10, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message
In a master stroke of inconsideration for hapless passengers
trying to
get home late at night South West Trains - the company headed
by a bus
driver - has in its wisdom - decided to make things really
difficult
at Feltham Station.

At 23.00 to 06.30 it is now closing all entrances and exits at
platform 1 (on the up line). It just so happens that the major
bus
station interchange is also situated just outside platform 1.
The 285
all night bus runs to/from Healthrow and Kingston and uses that
bus
station - the area IS a major bus/rail interchange for the
area.

Indeed. I used the recent Network Rail survey opportunity, as
published on this group, to "complain" about this decision.

Now with the late night closure of all entrances/exits between
platform 1 and the bus station any arriving or departing
passengers
will have to lummox their luggage over the railway footbridge
in order
to use the gate at platform 2.

But there are lifts, if needed (and assuming they are working)!

This gate effectively dumps them late
at night in the station car park which is not served by any
buses at
all.

Agreed - but if you know the area, it's a short walk to
alternative bus stops, or alternative routes.

In order to get from platform 2 to the bus station (outside
platform 1) this means a walk of about half a mile around the
industrial zone; or alternatively along an unlit alley-way to
the
level crossing - in an area of town more noted for its drunks
and
feral youths. That is if anyone knows the way.

*I* know the way - but then, I live in Feltham (no, I'm not
drunk, and I'm not a feral youth!). I wouldn't use that alleyway
late at night. A nearby block of flats at the end of that alley
was recently raided by the police, and several arrests were made,
in connection with supply of drugs. I'd walk through the car park
to the foot of the road bridge, where there are traffic lights,
and cross the main road into Hanworth Road, where the 285 also
stops.

However, in yet further inconsideration to its hapless
passengers, no
direction signs have been erected to help them. The
extrance/exit
gates at platform 1 are simply locked at 23.00 and that's that.
And
for the disabled, aged, or less than mobile - this unwarranted
closure
is a gross inconvenience.

Indeed, it may actually be illegal under the Disability
Discrimination Act - but it needs a genuine complaint, from
someone with mobility problems, to the Equal Rights Commission in
order to follow that particular route of action to get the
original situation restored.

There aren't many arrivals / departures on P1 between 23:00 and
06:30. From the LDBs tonight, and the Journey planner for
tomorrow:

23:05, 23:10, 23:15, 23:35, 00:05...05:06, 05:45, 06:16 - a total
of 8 trains.

If arriving on one of those trains, and wanting to catch an
onward bus, it could only be Service 490, 285, or H25. The 490
and 285 can be boarded at the Hanworth Road stops. If, however,
one needs the H25, or, if, as you say, one has mobility
problems - hard luck. Surely it can't be saving huge sums of
money by closing early / opening late?

--
MatSav

Old January 28th 10, 06:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 28, 12:23*am, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot
| pipex | dot | com wrote:

If arriving on one of those trains, and wanting to catch an
onward bus, it could only be Service 490, 285, or H25. The 490
and 285 can be boarded at the Hanworth Road stops. If, however,
one needs the H25, or, if, as you say, one has mobility
problems - hard luck. Surely it can't be saving huge sums of
money by closing early / opening late?

It may also create a risk, in that many will be tempted to walk along
the track for a short distance (a couple of metres if I recall
rightly) to exit via the level crossing rather than walk round.

Neil
Old January 28th 10, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

pipex | dot | com wrote:

If arriving on one of those trains, and wanting to catch an
onward bus, it could only be Service 490, 285, or H25. The
490
and 285 can be boarded at the Hanworth Road stops. If,
however,
one needs the H25, or, if, as you say, one has mobility
problems - hard luck. Surely it can't be saving huge sums of
money by closing early / opening late?

It may also create a risk, in that many will be tempted to walk
along
the track for a short distance (a couple of metres if I recall
rightly) to exit via the level crossing rather than walk round.

Neil

I've also seen people enter the station that way. They only have
to negotiate the 'trespass grid'. CCTV covers the area, but I
doubt it will prevent such activity.

--
MatSav

Old January 28th 10, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

pipex | dot | com wrote:

If arriving on one of those trains, and wanting to catch an
onward bus, it could only be Service 490, 285, or H25. The
490
and 285 can be boarded at the Hanworth Road stops. If,
however,
one needs the H25, or, if, as you say, one has mobility
problems - hard luck. Surely it can't be saving huge sums of
money by closing early / opening late?

It may also create a risk, in that many will be tempted to walk
along
the track for a short distance (a couple of metres if I recall
rightly) to exit via the level crossing rather than walk round.

Neil

I've also seen people enter the station that way. They only have
to negotiate the 'trespass grid'. CCTV covers the area, but I
doubt it will prevent such activity.

--
MatSav- Hide quoted text -

Yup - that short cut - well known to many locals - means trespassing
on the LIVE railway to exit platform 1. This leads directly to the bus
interchange. And anyone not knowing the short cut but who is watching
locals use it will surely follow. I only hope that they don't have
heavy luggage with them when they do. The mind boggles at the stupity
of SWT is making a decision to close the proper exit when the
alternative can put lives at risk. CJB.

Old January 28th 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

I've emailed SWT and Travel Watch - but do not expect a reply. Who is
the local MP? CJB.
Old January 28th 10, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 28, 1:45*pm, CJB wrote:
I've emailed SWT and Travel Watch - but do not expect a reply. Who is
the local MP? CJB.

You have internet access.
Old January 28th 10, 01:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 Jan, 14:05, Mizter T wrote:
On Jan 28, 1:45*pm, CJB wrote:

I've emailed SWT and Travel Watch - but do not expect a reply. Who is
the local MP? CJB.

Alan Keen (Labour)

Old January 29th 10, 09:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Jan 28, 1:45*pm, CJB wrote:
I've emailed SWT and Travel Watch - but do not expect a reply. Who is
the local MP? CJB.

Dear Mr Brady

Ref. No: 204130 - SWT Closes Platform 1 Entrance/Exit at Feltham at
23.00

Thank you for contacting us on the above matter. I can only imagine
how frustrating it must be to find that the entrances/exits are
closed.

As we are independent of all transport companies, I need to make
representations on your behalf to South West Trains asking them to
investigate your concerns and provide me with an appropriate
response. This means that I will be sending them copies of the
correspondence you have sent. Also, if any correspondence is missing,
I may have to ask them to send it to me so that I have the full
picture.

Then, once I have received their response, I will get back to you with
the outcome. But, it may be that I need to take further action before
I can reply to you in detail, such as asking for a further review or
seeking the views of colleagues or a third party, but I will let you
know if this is the case.

If you need to contact me in the meantime, please quote your case
reference number which is 204130.

Yours sincerely

Margaret Croucher
londontravelwatch.org.uk