Old February 25th 10, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Evening parking on Edgware branch

Hi all,
I'm going to a gig at the Camden Roundhouse tomorrow evening and,
ideally, would like to park somewhere further up the Edgware branch of
the Northern Line. Somewhere around Hendon Central would be good, as
I'll be coming down the A1.

I've checked on the TfL website and the car parks aren't big (or are
non-existent) for that area. I know you can park (for free!) at Brent
Cross shopping centre, but I don't know whether I can stay there until
11pm or so.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

Thanks,
Sam

Old February 25th 10, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:20:36 on Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Sam Holloway
remarked:
I'm going to a gig at the Camden Roundhouse tomorrow evening and,
ideally, would like to park somewhere further up the Edgware branch of
the Northern Line. Somewhere around Hendon Central would be good, as
I'll be coming down the A1.

I've checked on the TfL website and the car parks aren't big (or are
non-existent) for that area. I know you can park (for free!) at Brent
Cross shopping centre, but I don't know whether I can stay there until
11pm or so.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

The car park at Edgware station (shared with Sainsburys, but costs
money) is the normal suggestion in these circumstances.
Old February 25th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam Holloway wrote:

Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

The streets around Brent Cross station are free parking except for one hour
at lunchtime. Google Streetview suggests the sidestreets near Hendon Central
are the same.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 25th 10, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 25, 3:20 pm, Sam Holloway wrote:
Hi all,
I'm going to a gig at the Camden Roundhouse tomorrow evening and,
ideally, would like to park somewhere further up the Edgware branch of
the Northern Line. Somewhere around Hendon Central would be good, as
I'll be coming down the A1.

I've checked on the TfL website and the car parks aren't big (or are
non-existent) for that area. I know you can park (for free!) at Brent
Cross shopping centre, but I don't know whether I can stay there until
11pm or so.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

There was a short utl thread about parking in Edgware in August of
last year - one of my posts has links to info about the Broadwalk
Centre's car park, whilst Helen Vecht suggested said car park might be
free in the evenings (annoyingly the website info is silent on any
free periods) - also noteworthy was 'Basil Jet' saying that on-street
parking in Edgware is restricted until 1am - it can be read he

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...fea6a715f4175/

I tried to look at LB Barnet's mapping system to work out what the
parking situation was near Hendon Central,as suggested on their CPZs
webpage (which I checked as some other Boroughs' websites are helpful
in this regard)...

http://www.barnet.gov.uk/index/trans...king-zones.htm

However getting into the mapping system is a bit of a battle - it's IE
only, and then you need to download and install a not-unsubstantial
map viewer, aka an ActiveX helper application by the name of "Autodesk
MapGuide". Having done all that, I'm afraid I struggled to decipher
the mapping system, and failed to work out whether what on-street
parking might be on offer around Hendon Central. By all means, give it
a go yourselves though!
http://maps.barnet.gov.uk/

Brent Cross shopping centre closes at 8pm on weekdays, I'm not sure
what happens about the car park after then but I have my doubts that
it'd be a free for all - likewise I think there are measures to
prevent commuter parking (poss. a 4 hour limit or something), but the
centre's website doesn't go into any detail:
http://www.brentcross.co.uk/visitor-.../getting-here/
Old February 25th 10, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Brent Cross shopping centre closes at 8pm on weekdays, I'm not sure
what happens about the car park after then

The barriers shut at some point, maybe 30 or 60 minutes after the centre
closes. It's not really near enough to Hendon Central station to be of much
use anyway, and it's even further from Brent Cross station, ironically.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 25th 10, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 25, 11:42*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Brent Cross shopping centre closes at 8pm on weekdays, I'm not sure
what happens about the car park after then

The barriers shut at some point, maybe 30 or 60 minutes after the centre
closes. It's not really near enough to Hendon Central station to be of much
use anyway, and it's even further from Brent Cross station, ironically.

Hmm, not so sure about that - it's undoubtedly a non-straightforward
faff-around to get from the centre to Brent Cross tube station (the
renaming of which was a bit hopeful), but despite that I'd say the
walking distance would still be less, if not by much - here's a street
map:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=188250&ar=N

Thanks for the confirmation re the car park's night time closure - it
did seem rather unlikely that it'd remain open and thus available for
such exploits as that the OP had in mind.
Old February 26th 10, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 25, 11:42 pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

The barriers shut at some point, maybe 30 or 60 minutes after the
centre closes. It's not really near enough to Hendon Central station
to be of much use anyway, and it's even further from Brent Cross
station, ironically.

Hmm, not so sure about that

You're right. I was, for no good reason, comparing the driving routes rather
than the walking routes.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 27th 10, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Feb, 17:45, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Sam Holloway wrote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

The streets around Brent Cross station are free parking except for one hour
at lunchtime. Google Streetview suggests the sidestreets near Hendon Central
are the same.

Thanks - I had a look on Streetview to suss out the lie of the land,
and ended up parking a couple of streets away from Hendon Central.
Although I got stuck at Fiveways for about 15 mins so it probably
would have been quicker to go for Edgware.

Sam

Old March 3rd 10, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
Sam Holloway wrote:

Does anyone have any other suggestions for that area?

The streets around Brent Cross station are free parking except for one
hour at lunchtime. Google Streetview suggests the sidestreets near Hendon
Central are the same.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

North of the North Circular has no restrictions.

Kevin