Old March 17th 10, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster travelcard oddity

In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes

Yes but with travelcard seasons on Oyster one has never needed an extension
ticket.

Never? How would one have got to (say) Barnes in Zone 3, with only a
Zones 1-2 travelcard on an Oyster before this year?

Someone with a zones 2-4 could enter at Stratford and leave at
Liverpool Street with a straightforward extension deducted.

You are using a particular (and quite unusual) example of historic
Oyster inter-availability to make a general point that didn't apply to
the overwhelming majority of NR passengers in London.

Forget the special case of Stratford to Liverpool Street and consider
how a Zone 2-4 travelcard could have been extended to Waterloo at this
time last year (bearing in mind that there were no Oyster readers at
Waterloo NR and that PAYG was not accepted by SWT). The same applies to
London terminii used by other TOCs, except in the few cases where there
was already an agreement to accept Oyster PAYG.

--
Paul Terry

Old March 17th 10, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 01:04:31PM +0000, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
They're clearly capable of learning, but it's not made obvious that
there is anything to learn in the first place. It certainly *appears*
to work the same way as the tube - slap your wallet on the yellow thing
and usually the barriers open (but at other times you need to do it
several times) just like at tube stations.

Except that the majority of NR stations don't have barriers.

My local one does. So if anything they should do even more to publicise
OEPs there because it's even less obvious that you might need one. But
they don't, there's exactly the same amount of it, just as poorly designed,
as there is at ungated stations on the same line.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

[OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
-- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery
Old March 17th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:42:54PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:35:31
on Tue, 16 Mar 2010, David Cantrell remarked:
They're clearly capable of learning, but it's not made obvious that
there is anything to learn in the first place.

They have to learn to pick up an OEP before starting the journey.

What's your point?

I don't do .INI, .BAT, or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files.
I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have
a computer to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby.
-- Fritz Anderson
Old March 18th 10, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:52:20
on Wed, 17 Mar 2010, David Cantrell remarked:

They're clearly capable of learning, but it's not made obvious that
there is anything to learn in the first place.

They have to learn to pick up an OEP before starting the journey.

What's your point?

That there is something to learn.
Old March 19th 10, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 04:57:27PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:52:20
on Wed, 17 Mar 2010, David Cantrell remarked:
They're clearly capable of learning, but it's not made obvious that
there is anything to learn in the first place.
They have to learn to pick up an OEP before starting the journey.

What's your point?

That there is something to learn.

I'm not disputing that. Please re-read the bit where I wrote "it's not
made obvious that there is anything to learn".

Aluminum makes a nice hat.
All paranoids will tell you that.
But what most do not know
Is reflections will show