Old October 25th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do cabbies own the road?

This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the
first time. Previously I've seen them stop suddenly in a red route to
pick up a fare,
sometimes blocking the road, cut up other drivers, jump red lights and
almost run
down some pedestrians. What is it about these guys that they think the
rules of
the road don't apply to them? Is it some macho compensation for having
to drive
around in a car that going by looks should have Noddy at the wheel? Or
are
they (as I suspect) just a bunch of arrogant b*stards who don't give a
damn
about anyone or anything else on the road?

B2003

Old October 25th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Or are they (as I suspect) just a bunch of arrogant b*stards who don't
give a damn about anyone or anything else on the road?

That's them alright - well a good number of them, anyway. It's the ones
who stick their indicator on and pull out without actually caring that
there might be someone behind them not expecting them to do that. It's
plain dangerous - but you tend to notice the ones that do that are in a
knackered old Fairway and probably would be pleased if you hit them.

They're nearly as bad as bus drivers.

D.

Old October 25th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the
first time. Previously I've seen them stop suddenly in a red route to
pick up a fare,
sometimes blocking the road, cut up other drivers, jump red lights and
almost run
down some pedestrians. What is it about these guys that they think the
rules of
the road don't apply to them? Is it some macho compensation for having
to drive
around in a car that going by looks should have Noddy at the wheel? Or
are
they (as I suspect) just a bunch of arrogant b*stards who don't give a
damn
about anyone or anything else on the road?

And I've seen some private cars do all of the above... bang goes your
"noddy" theory...

B2003

Old October 25th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the first time.

Doing a U-turn is a legal manoeuvre, unless there is a no-U-turn sign.
Unlike most drivers, taxis do not know where they are going to go when
they start their journey.

As long as the taxi did his U-turn in a safe manner I can't see why he
shouldn't.

Previously I've seen them stop suddenly in a red route to pick up a fare,
sometimes blocking the road,

Taxis are allowed to stop in red routes to pick up a fare. Obviously
they shouldn't "stop suddenly" but my guess is that he indicated then
slowed down and stopped. Perhaps you weren't watching properly or were
tailgaiting.

cut up other drivers, jump red lights and almost run down some pedestrians.

True that those are not permitted.

Old October 25th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote:

"Boltar" wrote in message
And I've seen some private cars do all of the above... bang goes your
"noddy" theory...

Not nearly to the same extent given the number of private cars versus
the number of black cabs.

B2003

Old October 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Earl Purple wrote:

Boltar wrote:
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the first time.

Doing a U-turn is a legal manoeuvre, unless there is a no-U-turn sign.
Unlike most drivers, taxis do not know where they are going to go when
they start their journey.

I didn't see a no u turn sign on this road but I reckon its a safe bet
theres
one hidden somewhere given he was blocking one lane of traffic and
sticking out into oncoming. Hardly safe.

Taxis are allowed to stop in red routes to pick up a fare. Obviously

So a red route is No Stopping At Any Time (unless you're a cabbie
and then its no problem , block the traffic for as long as you like
mate)?
So what makes cabbies exempt? Plenty of other people have to drive
in london for a living. Why shouldn't we permit delivery drivers,
couriers
and so forth to stop too? They need is probably even greater than the
cabbies since they can't just drive further on and drop the delivery
off
somewhere else.

cut up other drivers, jump red lights and almost run down some pedestrians.

True that those are not permitted.

Nice to know.

B2003

Old October 25th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes

Earl Purple wrote:

Boltar wrote:
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the first time.

Doing a U-turn is a legal manoeuvre, unless there is a no-U-turn sign.
Unlike most drivers, taxis do not know where they are going to go when
they start their journey.

I didn't see a no u turn sign on this road but I reckon its a safe bet
theres
one hidden somewhere given he was blocking one lane of traffic and
sticking out into oncoming. Hardly safe.

Taxis are allowed to stop in red routes to pick up a fare. Obviously

So a red route is No Stopping At Any Time (unless you're a cabbie
and then its no problem , block the traffic for as long as you like
mate)?

Taxis are only permitted to stop on a red route for the purposes of
picking up and setting down passengers. They are not allowed to wait any
longer than the time it takes for this purpose. They may have to take
some time if they have a disabled passenger in a wheelchair to get in
and out, but they may not wait while the passenger goes to the bank to
get money. Taxi driver have been done for this on several occasions and
this is published in the trade press. This can sometimes cause friction
with the passengers when we tell them that we have to go around the
corner before stopping!

So what makes cabbies exempt? Plenty of other people have to drive
in london for a living. Why shouldn't we permit delivery drivers,
couriers
and so forth to stop too? They need is probably even greater than the
cabbies since they can't just drive further on and drop the delivery
off
somewhere else.

Most deliveries *can* be done outside the normal 'rush hours' and there
are usually marked off bays for delivery vehicles to stop.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old October 25th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Earl Purple wrote:

Boltar wrote:
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road.
And
not for the first time.

Doing a U-turn is a legal manoeuvre, unless there is a no-U-turn
sign. Unlike most drivers, taxis do not know where they are going to
go when they start their journey.

I didn't see a no u turn sign on this road but I reckon its a safe bet
theres
one hidden somewhere given he was blocking one lane of traffic and
sticking out into oncoming. Hardly safe.

Most London roads do not have u-turn bans. Which road was it?

Taxis are allowed to stop in red routes to pick up a fare.

So a red route is No Stopping At Any Time (unless you're a cabbie
and then its no problem , block the traffic for as long as you like
mate)?

No, taxis are allowed to stop long enough to pick up or set down. Any taxi
driver who stops long enough for a passenger to use a cash point runs the
risk of being fined, same as anyone else.

So what makes cabbies exempt?

The law. That's the whole reason red routes were invented, as distinct from
Clearways (where not even taxis can stop).

Plenty of other people have to drive
in london for a living. Why shouldn't we permit delivery drivers,
couriers
and so forth to stop too? They need is probably even greater than the
cabbies since they can't just drive further on and drop the delivery
off somewhere else.

Because those deliveries would take MUCH longer than the 5-100 seconds that
a taxi takes to pick up or set down. There are loading bays liberally
located on red routes.

Old October 25th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
This morning I saw a black cab do a u-turn on a busy 4 lane road. And
not for the
first time. Previously I've seen them stop suddenly in a red route to
pick up a fare,
sometimes blocking the road, cut up other drivers, jump red lights and
almost run
down some pedestrians. What is it about these guys that they think the
rules of
the road don't apply to them? Is it some macho compensation for having
to drive
around in a car that going by looks should have Noddy at the wheel? Or
are
they (as I suspect) just a bunch of arrogant b*stards who don't give a
damn
about anyone or anything else on the road?

B2003

I reckon driving a black cab must be one the most crap & stressfull jobs in
London,I know several cab drivers & they all hate the job,imagine having to
drive around all day/night picking up strangers,I know for a fact that at
night cabbies have got to have their wits about them,one cab driver told me
that he picked up a fare in the West End & took him to Putney & on the way
there the guy took a **** on the floor of his cab,I asked him if that was
his tip but he didn't get the joke.

Old October 25th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , FreddyFrith
writes

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sh*t happens :-)

Just like any job there are always some who hate it. Personally I love
the job. I start when I feel like it, finish when I feel like it, don't
have to ask anyone for permission to take holidays. I work nights. You
develop a sixth sense when it comes to people. As for the money, well
you'll never get rich as a London taxi driver but you'll never be poor
as long as you have your health.