Old March 8th 10, 02:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Splat Nav

About a year ago, I broke down in the petrol station in Southwark Bridge
Road and phoned the RAC. The guy took several hours getting to me and told
me that he had gone to "the other Southwark Bridge Road in Bermondsey" and
when he couldn't find me, cancelled the job and went on to do someone else.
I said "I think you mean Southwark Park Road" but he said no, it was the
other Southwark Bridge Road. Wanting his help, I didn't argue and forgot
about it. Tonight I was driving up Jamaica Road and noticed my Tomtom said I
was in Southwark Bridge Road! The same data is used in Google Maps... you'd
think they would have debugged all the main roads by now.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 9th 10, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on 08 March
2010 03:57:35 ...
About a year ago, I broke down in the petrol station in Southwark Bridge
Road and phoned the RAC. The guy took several hours getting to me and told
me that he had gone to "the other Southwark Bridge Road in Bermondsey" and
when he couldn't find me, cancelled the job and went on to do someone else.
I said "I think you mean Southwark Park Road" but he said no, it was the
other Southwark Bridge Road. Wanting his help, I didn't argue and forgot
about it. Tonight I was driving up Jamaica Road and noticed my Tomtom said I
was in Southwark Bridge Road! The same data is used in Google Maps... you'd
think they would have debugged all the main roads by now.

I've just reported that glitch to Tele Atlas who are the map provider
for this area of Google Maps. I don't have much confidence that
anything will happen though. I've been trying to get them to show
Chiswick High Road correctly (it calls it King Street for more than half
a mile beyond the actual end of King Street) and to remove the absurd
extension of Acton Green/Chiswick Common into all the residential
streets to the east of it. I've also complained about the omission of
the (above ground) District and Piccadilly lines in the area. But none
of them have progressed beyond the "we have received your report" stage.
In the case of the King Street error, despite giving precise latitude
and longitude of both ends of the incorrectly labelled road, I was told
that "your report either lacked necessary data or described an imprecise
geographic location".

I also tried to get TfL to take an interest as they use Google maps, but
I got a "not us guv" response.
--
Richard J.
Old March 9th 10, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Richard J. wrote:

Basil Jet wrote on 08 March
2010 03:57:35 ...
[...]

Could these "errors" be the deliberate ones the cartographers insert to
detect copyright infrigement?

A road 100 yards from my home is mis-spelled on the Garmin maps, and the
error has been perpetuated through several new map releases, despite the
numerous times I have reported the error.

Old March 9th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

I've just reported that glitch to Tele Atlas who are the map provider
for this area of Google Maps. I don't have much confidence that
anything will happen though.

Thanks. I suppose they have a product that is good enough that people will
buy it, so they see no justification for fixing it.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 9th 10, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Fardell wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Richard J. wrote:

Basil Jet wrote on 08 March
2010 03:57:35 ...
Tonight I was
driving up Jamaica Road and noticed my Tomtom said I was in
Southwark Bridge Road!

I've been trying to get them to show
Chiswick High Road correctly (it calls it King Street for more than
half a mile beyond the actual end of King Street)

Could these "errors" be the deliberate ones the cartographers insert
to detect copyright infrigement?

No. Such errors are always designed so as not to prevent users from finding
properties, whereas these errors do.

On the subject of Chiswick map errors, several different companies' maps
show the northern end of Great Chertsey Road as "Alexandra Avenue". Is this
an old name, or a deliberate error?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 9th 10, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes

On the subject of Chiswick map errors, several different companies' maps
show the northern end of Great Chertsey Road as "Alexandra Avenue". Is this
an old name, or a deliberate error?

It's the original name of the road built in 1923 from Burlington Lane
down to the Thames. After this was extended to become the Great Chertsey
Road in the 1930s, only the short stretch alongside Chiswick Community
School retained the name Alexandra Avenue, and even that has now dropped
out of use, although the estate on the opposite side of the road is
still known as the Alexandra estate.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 10th 10, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message Pine.LNX.4.44.1003091039080.17154-100000
@menace.crumblenet.co.uk, Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:41:59, Tim Fardell
posted:

Could these "errors" be the deliberate ones the cartographers insert to
detect copyright infrigement?

I have a friend who lives in a road which the DoJ maps used by
FixMyStreet label as "Popular Grove". No street of that name is listed
is either of my two handiest A-Zs. DoJ fail to name the street round
the back of here (a genuine street, with several houses) and at least
one nearby roadlet.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms