Old March 16th 10, 06:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Blackfriars Bridge widening

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:35:08 -0700 (PDT), Mwmbwls
wrote:

On Mar 16, 1:32*pm, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:10:01 -0000, "Paul Scott"

wrote:
New Civil Engineer magazine's online version has some interesting pictures
of the widening works on the downstream side of Blackfriars Bridge. So
something really is happening behind all those hoardings...

http://www.nce.co.uk/news/structures...iars-rib-arche...

I expect being able to expand the piers above the waterline was a bit of a
bonus when it came to the detailed design...

A word of warning:

As from 17 March 2010 the New Civil Engineer web site will be
subscription only. *To gain access, you will need a subscription to
NCE magazine (£99 peer annum) or be a fully paid-up member of the
Institution of Civil Engineers.

So enjoy it while you can - just for today. *;-)

EMAP have transitioned a large number of their journals behind a pay
for view barrier including NCE. It is a great pity but is undoubtedly
the shape of things to come.

Although I have continuing access to NCE through my membership of ICE,
I was disappointed to find that I would not be able to access NCE's
sister titles from EMAP. I have used them to tout for business in the
past but I'm not sure whether it is worth paying the subscription.

NCE is fairly cheap at £99; the two others I regularly read cost £150
each. That would be a total of £399 a year. Ouch.

Old March 16th 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Basil Jet wrote:

Bruce wrote:

you will need a subscription to NCE magazine (?99 peer annum)

Oh Lord!

You'll have to duke it out with them.

tom

--
Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. But that usually will create another problem. -- David
Old March 16th 10, 10:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 7:06*pm, Bruce wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:35:08 -0700 (PDT), Mwmbwls
wrote:

On Mar 16, 1:32*pm, Bruce wrote:
[snip]
[...]

The £99 price is a special offer - normal cost is £130.

See:
http://www.nce.co.uk/home/subscribe
---quote---
Terms and conditions: This is a special introductory offer available
to new/renewing subscribers which closes on the 7 April 2010. For UK
residents the special subscriptions price is £99, the regular, full UK
subscriptions price is £130. The special overseas price is £150 for an
annual subscription, the regular, price for Europe is £180 and for the
rest of the world £200. The subscription will provide you with one
year's complete, unrestricted access to nce.co.uk and a year of New
Civil Engineer magazine. [...]
---/quote---
Old March 17th 10, 11:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Mar 16, 1:32*pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. The £150 subscriptions are also special offers. Although I
obviously don't pay for the £99 one, and I apologise for giving the
impression that I did.

Old March 17th 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Alas, too late for poor Roberto Calvi.

Old March 17th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 2:43*pm, Offramp wrote:
Alas, too late for poor Roberto Calvi.

Though the scene of his demise was the underside of the road bridge,
was it not?

The still on this BBC "On This Day" webpage would seem to suggest that
it was the rail bridge, but the accompanying video report shows the
road bridge...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3092625.stm
Old March 17th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:06:54 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

I was disappointed to find that I would not be able to access NCE's
sister titles from EMAP. I have used them to tout for business in the
past but I'm not sure whether it is worth paying the subscription.

Why does an image of ads with a premium rate number come to mind?
"Call 09xxxxx and ask for Tony"...
Old March 17th 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 Mar, 15:18, Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 17, 2:43*pm, Offramp wrote:

Alas, too late for poor Roberto Calvi.

Though the scene of his demise was the underside of the road bridge,
was it not?

The still on this BBC "On This Day" webpage would seem to suggest that
it was the rail bridge, but the accompanying video report shows the
road bridge...http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...9/newsid_30920...

Talking of Blackfriars, I went over the top of it in a train today and
it seems that the whole District Line tunnel has been exposed and then
removed, and you can see the outside of the hoarding that I assume the
trains are running through.
Old March 17th 10, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Bruce) wrote:

wrote:

New Civil Engineer magazine's online version has some interesting
pictures of the widening works on the downstream side of Blackfriars
Bridge. So something really is happening behind all those
hoardings...

http://www.nce.co.uk/news/structures...ib-arches-inst
alled/5215416.article

I expect being able to expand the piers above the waterline was a
bit of a bonus when it came to the detailed design...

A word of warning:

As from 17 March 2010 the New Civil Engineer web site will be
subscription only. To gain access, you will need a subscription to
NCE magazine (£99 peer annum) or be a fully paid-up member of the
Institution of Civil Engineers.

So enjoy it while you can - just for today. ;-)

That's a pity. Their Crossrail information is far better than the
official Crossrail site...

I think I'll spend a while downloading a few drawings...

If you ever need anything from the NCE web site, just ask. ;-)

I was 10 minutes too late looking. I get "Subscriber only content".

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 8th 10, 02:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:44:19 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Bruce wrote:

you will need a subscription to
NCE magazine (£99 peer annum)