Old April 8th 10, 02:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Blackfriars Bridge widening

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:33:17 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Mar 16, 7:06 pm, Bruce wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:35:08 -0700 (PDT), Mwmbwls
wrote:

On Mar 16, 1:32 pm, Bruce wrote:
[snip]
A word of warning:

As from 17 March 2010 the New Civil Engineer web site will be
subscription only. To gain access, you will need a subscription to
NCE magazine (£99 peer annum) or be a fully paid-up member of the
Institution of Civil Engineers.

So enjoy it while you can - just for today. ;-)

EMAP have transitioned a large number of their journals behind a pay
for view barrier including NCE. It is a great pity but is undoubtedly
the shape of things to come.

Although I have continuing access to NCE through my membership of ICE,
I was disappointed to find that I would not be able to access NCE's
sister titles from EMAP. I have used them to tout for business in the
past but I'm not sure whether it is worth paying the subscription.

NCE is fairly cheap at £99; the two others I regularly read cost £150
each. That would be a total of £399 a year. Ouch.

The £99 price is a special offer - normal cost is £130.

See:
http://www.nce.co.uk/home/subscribe
---quote---
Terms and conditions: This is a special introductory offer available
to new/renewing subscribers which closes on the 7 April 2010. For UK
residents the special subscriptions price is £99, the regular, full UK
subscriptions price is £130. The special overseas price is £150 for an
annual subscription, the regular, price for Europe is £180 and for the
rest of the world £200. The subscription will provide you with one
year's complete, unrestricted access to nce.co.uk and a year of New
Civil Engineer magazine. [...]
---/quote---

Oh dear. The £150 subscriptions are also special offers. Although I
obviously don't pay for the £99 one, and I apologise for giving the
impression that I did.

And for me, about AUD$440 (200 quid). Yikes. No doubt, Tony, you'll let us
know about anything interesting.

DW downunder