Old April 28th 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New tube map - Apr edition

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
MIG wrote:
Its about time they changed the disabled symbol. Its begnining to look a bit
silly plastered over so many stations. Why can't they just have a little icon
similar to the nation rail sign? Just because someones in a wheelchair

doesn't
mean they're blind.

B2003

It's only the same size as the blob for an interchange station, and
indicates something about what kind of station it is. The NR symbol

So you end up with a blob on stations that are not interchange stations.
Not really a great idea. Having a small chair symbol at the side would be
just as effective and stop the map looking its suffering from smallpox.

B2003

Old April 28th 10, 12:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:47:30 +0100
Bruce wrote:
Boltar proves that even an idiot who regularly posts random and
bizarre ideas can get it right occasionally.

It's monkeys and typewriters all over again ...

My monkey resigned , its all my own work!

B2003

Old April 28th 10, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:
Boltar proves that even an idiot who regularly posts random and
bizarre ideas can get it right occasionally.

It's monkeys and typewriters all over again ...

My monkey resigned , its all my own work!

Nobody needs to make a monkey out of you, dear Boltar. ;-)

Old April 28th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Boltar proves that even an idiot who regularly posts random and
bizarre ideas can get it right occasionally.

It's monkeys and typewriters all over again ...

My monkey resigned , its all my own work!

Was he fed up with being spanked?
Old April 28th 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Its about time they changed the disabled symbol. Its begnining to look a bit
silly plastered over so many stations. Why can't they just have a little icon
similar to the nation rail sign? Just because someones in a wheelchair

doesn't
mean they're blind.

B2003

It's only the same size as the blob for an interchange station, and
indicates something about what kind of station it is. The NR symbol

So you end up with a blob on stations that are not interchange stations.
Not really a great idea. Having a small chair symbol at the side would be
just as effective and stop the map looking its suffering from smallpox.

B2003

If you put a small chair by a station, people may be fooled into
thinking they can exit to street from all lines passing thru that
station; take Waterloo for example, if the above were followed and a
chair-bound passenger wanted to ride frmo West Finchley to Waterloo,
they'd have a hard time getting up the stairs from the Northern
platform... same goes for Shadwell, KXSP & Euston (amongst others, I'm
sure).

Unfortunately, the map may look like it's got a spotty ailment, but
Boltar's suggestion has a couple of holes in it... and, let's face it,
that's all that's needed sometimes for a mega-complaint ton minifest itself.

Regards,
Ernesto.

--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."
Old April 28th 10, 01:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

*wrote:
[...]

I don't know whether the symbol is the right size, but it seems to me
that there is a logic to clearly showing stations where you can
connect to something else and map out a route between them.

The wheelchair blobs are an indication where there is an "interchange"
between the world and the system for the benefit of those for whom the
rest of the network doesn't allow it.

The ideal situation would be that only a few exceptions to
accessibility needed to be indicated at all, working towards none.

So maybe the blobs are big, but it's much clearer for route-planning
to mark out the station types clearly than to have other symbols
floating off them. Symbols floating off really are clutter.