Old April 30th 10, 07:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New tube map - Apr edition

On Apr 30, 12:00*am, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 28, 8:39*pm, Bruce wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:39:26 +0100, Ian Jelf
[snip]
I'm turning off my radio microphone as we speak.......

A wise move. *;-)

But for those who always wanted to be a "fly on the wall" and see
exactly what the *real* Gordon Brown is like, now we know! *:-)

Cameron can apparently be more than a little tetchy from time to time
- smooth operator that he is, this wouldn't be the kind of thing that
would happen to him of course! And now this has happened every
politician will be on guard for it happening to them forever more...
(Though courtesy of open mikes- albeit not radio mikes - we've had the
benefit of Major and the cabinet *******s, Bush and "yo Blair" -
though it was actually "yeah Blair", presidential candidate Bush
sounding off to Cheney about a reporter being a "major league
asshole", current Vice-President Biden describing the signing of the
healthcare bill to Obama as "a big f***ing deal", and several sundry
other unwittingly reproduced outbursts

The most notorious case being former cowboy actor Ronald Reagan during a
microphone check before a speech in 1984, which he didn't realise would be
audible to everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv13ZnkpWos

Yeah that was fantastic! I'm not quite sure who that went out to
though - many accounts are a bit muddled and even contradictory, but I
think it happened just before he was going to give one of his (weekly)
radio addresses and so may have just gone down the line to
broadcasters, but wasn't actually broadcast by them. I did read
somewhere that it caused the Kremlin to step up the Soviet alert
status, but if it wasn't actually broadcast I can't quite see how
they'd have heard it - unless of course they had tapped in on one of
the lines which was being used to distribute it - so I rather suspect
that part of the story might be nonsense. I'll try and get to the
bottom of it sometime.

Old April 30th 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:33:53PM +0100, Recliner wrote:

Actually, it's a pity that Lord Pearson of Rannoch hasn't featured more
in this election campaign. He's almost as funny as yesterday's extended
edition of The Thick of It, guest starring the PM.

Nigel Farage was pretty good on HIGNFY.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

In this episode, R2 and Luke weld the doors shut on their X-Wing,
and Chewbacca discovers that his Ewok girlfriend is really just a
Womble with its nose chopped off.
Old April 30th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:49:32AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
The central Thameslink route, between London Bridge/ E&C and Kentish
Town (but not beyond), was shown on Tube maps in years past, as was
the Great Northern Electrics route between Moorgate and Finsbury Park
(aka the Northern City line). For whatever reason they were dropped -
several possible explanations spring to mind e.g. frequency

Can't be that, as it runs about as often as London Overground does
through Shepherds Bush (which is included) which runs less often than
Southern between Croydon and Victoria (which isn't included).

speed,

Thameslink from Blackfriars to St Pancras is quicker than any tube
route between those stations.

hours of operation, usefulness, and levels of crowdedness - I imagine
the decision to omit them out was an amalgam of several
considerations.

More likely to have been because it made an already crowded part of the
map even harder to read. These days, it's also excluded for stupid
political reasons - namely that it's not run by TfL.

"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
to build an operating system without adult supervision."
-- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c
Old April 30th 10, 11:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:33:53 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

Actually, it's a pity that Lord Pearson of Rannoch hasn't featured
more in this election campaign. He's almost as funny as yesterday's
extended edition of The Thick of It, guest starring the PM.

Oh he was on Campaign Straight Talk with Andrew Neil a couple of weeks
ago. Struck me as a slightly odd character. He was perfectly happy
to admit that the chance of UKIP getting anyone into Parliament was
close to zero but he happily slagged off all the other parties
nonetheless.

UKIP seem to have put him back in the cupboard now, with Nigel Farage
resuming his media spokesman role. He's nowhere near as bonkers as Lord
Pearson.

Old April 30th 10, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 29, 9:44*pm, (Mark Brader) wrote:
Regents Park certainly had a ticket window when I last used it in the
1970s. *The internal feel of the station had a toned down Leslie Green
feel to it. *But, I am pretty sure it was not one of his.

If I read "Rails Through the Clay" correctly, it was. *Almost all of the
original stations on the three Yerkes tubes were.
--

Just did a quick check, and it is one of Mr. Green's. The lack of a
surface building had me fooled.

Old April 30th 10, 03:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:23:30 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , d
writes
Having a small chair symbol at the side would be just as effective
and stop the map looking its suffering from smallpox.

I may turn a few heads in writing this phrase but here goes.......

"I agree with Boltar."

It is worrying when that happens isn't it? It's like finding you
agree with the leader of UKIP or with Bob Crow.

Actually, it's a pity that Lord Pearson of Rannoch hasn't featured more
in this election campaign. He's almost as funny as yesterday's extended
edition of The Thick of It, guest starring the PM.

Lord Pearson was on R4 PM the other day. The BBC's Eddie Mair left him
sounding lost and confused by the deeply unfair and completely
unpredictable ploy of asking him about his party's policies. Pearson
explained that he wasn't very good with such details, not being a
professional politician. Mair replied with another unfair and completely
unexpected quip about Pearson having been in the Lords for 14 years.

It was no surprise to see Farage speaking on the BBC news after the PM
debate last night. He, at least, was coherent, even if continuing to be
deeply unconvincing, and he managed to avoid any comments about people
looking like bank clerks.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683816.html
(156 477 at Kyle of Lochalsh, 5 Jun 1999)
Old April 30th 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 30, 4:39*pm, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

Recliner wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[snip]
It is worrying when that happens isn't it? * It's like finding you
agree with the leader of UKIP or with Bob Crow.

Actually, it's a pity that Lord Pearson of Rannoch hasn't featured more
in this election campaign. He's almost as funny as yesterday's extended
edition of The Thick of It, guest starring the PM.

Lord Pearson was on R4 PM the other day. The BBC's Eddie Mair left him
sounding lost and confused by the deeply unfair and completely
unpredictable ploy of asking him about his party's policies. Pearson
explained that he wasn't very good with such details, not being a
professional politician. Mair replied with another unfair and completely
unexpected quip about Pearson having been in the Lords for 14 years.

Yes, I heard that - he was shambolic, Eddie Mair didn't probe him very
hard because he didn't need to, Lord Pearson's condemned himself with
his witless babbling!

It was no surprise to see Farage speaking on the BBC news after the PM
debate last night. He, at least, was coherent, even if continuing to be
deeply unconvincing, and he managed to avoid any comments about people
looking like bank clerks.

Farage is at least quite entertaining - though my take on him from now
on will be coloured by his rather pathetic attempt to 'do a Dan
Hannan' w.r.t. his rather pathetic attack on Rompuy - the nasty side
of his character that seemed to reveal wasn't very appealing, even if
it was perhaps rather forced on his behalf, and he rather did himself
a disservice.

This Deborah Ross interview with Farage in the Independent from 2004
is a good laugh:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/553972.html

And no, I don't support them!
Old April 30th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 28, 8:39*pm, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Ronald Wilson Reagan's remarks vis-a-vis the USSR were not broadcast
at that moment. However, later that day they were played during news
broadcasts. He won the electoral votes of 49 States in the following
election.
Old April 30th 10, 07:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/04/2010 16:06, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
Includes core ELL routes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Preview service starts tomorrow afternoon (perhaps)...

Paul S

It doesn't show any direct service between Harrow & Wealdstone and
Kensington Olympia (there is one).

It also doesn't show any Thameslink.

Whilst I appreciate they are not Underground or Overground services
operated by TFL, they are surely still likely to be of use to a
traveller within London and should be included?

The "Oyster Rail services map" shows what you're looking for.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."