Old May 6th 10, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo Eurostar platforms and "The Railway Children"

On 5 May, 14:20, Old Central wrote:
That brings IN money for the railway. *It's not like it's an either/or
choice!

The figures quoted for mothballing are breathtaking. There again I
suspect maintaining a guard force on a property 500m long and 70m wide
in Central London requires a substantial number of staff 24/7 365
days. Add on top routine maintenance and you have a big bill, see

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4284

OC

But the platforms have not been mothballed. There are weeds everywhere,

Old May 6th 10, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:

On 5 May, 14:20, Old Central wrote:

The figures quoted for mothballing are breathtaking

But the platforms have not been mothballed. There are weeds everywhere,

But no moths.
Old May 6th 10, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 5, 2:49*pm, "Paul Scott"

But the point that everyone seems to be missing is WHY are the
platforms at Waterloo not being brought into use NOW?

Despite all the media hype, because platforms on there own wouldn't help
much if at all. *SWT's standard platforming uses 18 of the 19 platforms (one
is usually spare) because they only have enough rolling stock to use that
many, anyway not all trains are run at maximum length yet. *Spreading the
current services out amongst more platforms wouldn't increase capacity,
because the approaches into Waterloo from Clapham Junction are the major
limiting factors.

At least two of the five disused platforms, (bearing in mind platform 20 is
already usable if needed) will be brought into use during 2011 before
current platforms 1 and 2 are closed - they are too short for 10 car
operations.

I know platform 20 is now usable - but is it ever actually used?
Old May 6th 10, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

I know platform 20 is now usable - but is it ever actually used?

I think it wasn't finished until a few months ago, so I doubt that it
will come into use until the next timetable change in a few weeks time.
--
Paul Terry
Old May 6th 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

I know platform 20 is now usable - but is it ever actually used?

I think it wasn't finished until a few months ago, so I doubt that it
will come into use until the next timetable change in a few weeks
time.

I'll suggest it won't ever be normally timetabled until additional rolling
stock is organised, and there is no sign of that happening in the near
future. You're looking at 2012 some time I reckon.

Paul

Old May 6th 10, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes
Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

I know platform 20 is now usable - but is it ever actually used?

I think it wasn't finished until a few months ago, so I doubt that it
will come into use until the next timetable change in a few weeks
time.

I'll suggest it won't ever be normally timetabled until additional rolling
stock is organised, and there is no sign of that happening in the near
future. You're looking at 2012 some time I reckon.

So why spend so much money getting Platform 20 ready for domestic
service now?
--
Paul Terry
Old May 6th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 May, 08:18, solar penguin wrote:
Offramp wrote:
On 5 May, 14:20, Old Central wrote:

The figures quoted for mothballing are breathtaking

But the platforms have not been mothballed. There are weeds everywhere,

But no moths. *

Good one! LOROL!
Old May 6th 10, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 May, 12:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:

I'll suggest it won't ever be normally timetabled until additional rolling
stock is organised, and there is no sign of that happening in the near
future. *You're looking at 2012 some time I reckon.

A figure I heard is 2021.
Old May 6th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
On 6 May, 12:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:

I'll suggest it won't ever be normally timetabled until additional
rolling stock is organised, and there is no sign of that happening
in the near future. You're looking at 2012 some time I reckon.

A figure I heard is 2021.

I'm suggesting 2012 based on the April 2010 rewrite of the Network Rail CP4
enhancements plan. I guess you're not...

Paul S

Old May 9th 10, 04:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote in
:

On 6 May, 12:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:

I'll suggest it won't ever be normally timetabled until additional
rollin

stock is organised, and there is no sign of that happening in the
near future. *You're looking at 2012 some time I reckon.

A figure I heard is 2021.

To quote Flanders and Swann - "It all makes work for the working man to
do!"