Old May 17th 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick - London: first time traveller needs advice

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a
ticket
from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick,

Yes, but not in the other direction.

and by which route would this ticket be
valid?

I think you may get a choice, depend on the boundary zone. For BZ6 Any
Permitted is available and it's valid on Gatwick Express.

--
DAS

Old May 17th 10, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Paul Scott wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a
ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick, and by which route would this
ticket be valid?

No, because he is starting at Gatwick, and such tickets can only be sold
'from' the zonal area.

He's starting at Gatwick on the way in, but going to Gatwick on the way
out. On account of how you have to end up in the same place as the
aeroplane if you want to get on it, i think.

He could buy a BZ5 to Gatwick ticket, and use it on any train which stops
at East Croydon (provided the ticket is valid on that train, of course).
The Victoria and Thameslink trains both call there. I don't think any
reasonably fast train has the stop on Z6 which would be required to enable
the joining-up of the travelcard and a BZ6 ticket.

tom

--
Initial thoughts - who cares? Subsequent thoughts - omg!!! (Female, 14,
Scotland) -- 4.5 million young Brits' futures could be compromised by
Old May 17th 10, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2010 21:04:42 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen
wrote:

We are flying back together early on Monday June 21 - plane takes off at
0910.

We plan to take the first tube from Walthamstow Central (0522) to Kings
Cross (0539) and then take either the 0602 or 0622 to Gatwick. I have never
been to that station complex. How much time should be allowed for changing
from the Victoria to FCC with potentionally very heavy luggage (depedning
on the amount of shopping carried out )?

We are staying at the Sleeping Beauty Motel at Bakers Arms / Lea Bridge
Road. How early do you think we should be at the bus stop outside the
hotel? "Planned engineering works are taking place" at some routes.

The Jouney Planner gives different results for "Bakers Arms / Lea Bridge
Road" and "Lea Bridge Road / Bakers Arms". I am not sure exactly what to
put into the planner to get buses serving stop EA which is right outside
the hotel. (See spider map
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...sarms-2157.pdf
.)

At that time of day you only have one option - the

Not the!

For the benefit of Jarle, the is a bus service so secret MI5 erase all
mention of it from the British internet. You will never read about the
online, or the amazing journeys from to one can make on it.

Oddly enough, you are allowed to mention that it goes to Clapton Pond.

tom

Old May 17th 10, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

- get off at the right station

Once again, St Pancras (low level) is quite well signed and shouldn't be a
problem recognising. I suggest he then goes up the escalators and out of the
barriers and meets you in the vicinity of the Farmers Market.

Where you should eat scotch eggs.

tom

Old May 18th 10, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 17, 11:15*pm, Theo Markettos theom
wrote:

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

We plan to take the first tube from Walthamstow Central (0522) to Kings
Cross (0539) and then take either the 0602 or 0622 to Gatwick. I have never
been to that station complex. How much time should be allowed for changing
from the Victoria to FCC with potentionally very heavy luggage (depedning
on the amount of shopping carried out )?

The official interchange time is 15 minutes, I think, but I might allow a
little more especially if you don't know the place. *23 mins should be fine.
It helps if you can buy a ticket in advance (which you can do at any manned
National Rail station up to 12 weeks ahead, or book online and collect from
a machine) so you don't have to traipse over to the machines/ticket office
(and queue, though I don't imagine there's much queue at 0540).

(If you have an Anytime Return then you'll already have a valid ticket
assuming you return within a month, so this might not be a problem. *It only
applies if you're buying singles)

A rough guess at the walk, excluding lifts etc, would be at least 600m.

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a ticket
from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick, and by which route would this ticket be
valid?

Given that he's planning to to get a weekly *zone 1-3* Travelcard,
then getting an extension from Boundary Zone 6 isn't a wildly good
idea...

It would however be possible to get a *Boundary Zone 3* extension to
Gatwick. I assume that this would be valid on both Southern and FCC
but not GatEx. however given that rail ticketing to Gatwick is a bit,
er, 'special', I wouldn't want to say for certain.

(Of course any Boundary Zone shenanigans are dependent on the
aforementioned weekly Travelcard still being valid - Jarle's post
suggests that he's going to be here for longer than a week, if not his
associate as well.)

In all honesty I wouldn't bother - any saving of a Gatwick-London
single plus BZ3 to Gatwick extension over the straightforward return
fare is likely to be nominal at best I'd think, plus add in the hassle
factor of actually obtaining the BZ extension too (esp. as the return
trip is going to be early in the morning).

Old May 18th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

rth.li...

Theo Markettos wrote:

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a
ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick, and by which route would this
ticket be valid?

No, because he is starting at Gatwick, and such tickets can only be sold
'from' the zonal area.

He's starting at Gatwick on the way in, but going to Gatwick on the way
out. On account of how you have to end up in the same place as the
aeroplane if you want to get on it, i think.

Sure, but making use of a BZ extension on the way back is a waste of money
if he already has a 'return' from Gatwick. He doesn't have to buy singles
each way (like most journeys near London), as Gatwick is an airport
station - so returns are available valid one month.

AFAICS a return for his in and out journey will be fare simpler than any
fiddling about with BZ fares (which would have to be from Z3 as a Z1-3
travelcard is mentioned)

(A 7 day travelcard is a season by the way, but with a BZ extension there is
no need to call at a station anyway - that is part of their whole
rationale...)

Paul S

Old May 18th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 06:04:13PM +0200, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

My annual London vacation is coming up, and this time I will be joined by a
friend who will arrive a few days later than me. This is his first visit to
London, so he is a bit nervous about travelling in the big city. We have
agreed to meet in a Central London station since travelling down to Gatwick
to meet him is deemed to expensive and time consuming. I haven't done that
journey myself, so can you advice on how to

- buy the correct ticket
- get on the right train
- get off at the right station

Decide whether to meet at Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars or St
Pancras.

Go to the ticket office at Gatwick. Ask for a ticket to wherever. If
asked whether you want to use the Gatwick Express, say no. Wait for
your train to show up on the TV screens. Go to the platform. Get on
the train. Get off at the right station. You'll know it's the right
station either by robotic announcements "THE. NEXT. STATION. IS.
KILLALLHUMANS. LONDON. BRIDGE" or by looking out of the window.

Job done.

He will be arriving at Gatwick Airport around 2pm on Monday June 14. We are
staying near Walthamstow Central. My reaseach shows that the cheapest fare
is £17 return with FCC to St. Pancras, which is convenient for the Victoria
Line.

Getting a train to Victoria would work too. If your friend is staying
for more than a coupla days and you'll be usign public transport to get
around London, then buy a weekly Travelcard at Gatwick. It's far more
convenient than buying lots of seperate tickets.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Fashion label: n: a liferaft for personalities
which lack intrinsic buoyancy
Old May 18th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Theo Markettos wrote:

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a
ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick, and by which route would this
ticket be valid?

No, because he is starting at Gatwick, and such tickets can only be sold
'from' the zonal area.

He's starting at Gatwick on the way in, but going to Gatwick on the way
out. On account of how you have to end up in the same place as the
aeroplane if you want to get on it, i think.

Sure, but making use of a BZ extension on the way back is a waste of money
if he already has a 'return' from Gatwick.

Yes, good point.

(A 7 day travelcard is a season by the way, but with a BZ extension
there is no need to call at a station anyway - that is part of their
whole rationale...)

Isn't there a specific exclusion for PTE tickets like travelcards, though?

tom

--
Coldplay is the kind of music computers will make when they get smart
enough to start making fun of humans -- Lower Marsh Tit
Old May 18th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:49:18 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

(A 7 day travelcard is a season by the way, but with a BZ extension
there is no need to call at a station anyway - that is part of their
whole rationale...)

Isn't there a specific exclusion for PTE tickets like travelcards, though?

I think the exemption "they are zonal tickets" applies in this
situation. PTE tickets are different again.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old May 18th 10, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Theo Markettos wrote:

Aside to the regulars, if the OP has a 7 day travelcard, can he get a
ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick, and by which route would this
ticket be valid?

No, because he is starting at Gatwick, and such tickets can only be sold
'from' the zonal area.

He's starting at Gatwick on the way in, but going to Gatwick on the way
out. On account of how you have to end up in the same place as the
aeroplane if you want to get on it, i think.

Sure, but making use of a BZ extension on the way back is a waste of money
if he already has a 'return' from Gatwick.

Yes, good point.

(A 7 day travelcard is a season by the way, but with a BZ extension
there is no need to call at a station anyway - that is part of their
whole rationale...)

Isn't there a specific exclusion for PTE tickets like travelcards, though?

Travelcards aren't PTE tickets though. TfL isn't (and LRT wasn't) a
PTE, plus the Travelcard is not solely a TfL ticketing product - it's
a joint TfL and National Rail product (the NatRail element being
managed through the "London Schemes Council" of ATOC).

FWIW. Boundary Zone extension tickets are available for *both* season
(weekly, monthly etc) Travelcards *and* Day Travelcards.