Old July 5th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

Peter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:51:05 +0100, Chris Tolley
(ukonline really) wrote:

Mind you, it's fair to acknowledge that Majors rarely look how one might
imagine fully-grown Majorettes to look.

You _really_ don't want to see what I saw here (Salisbury) yesterday -
a group of middle-aged men, dressed in short red skirts, white socks
or stockings and so on, with fairly heavy makeup, doing a majorette
routine with pompons.

You're right. I wouldn't have.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10907002.html
(33 056 at Stratford Depot, 11 Jul 1981)

Old July 5th 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The Iron Jelloid wrote:
Once upon a time, Guy Gorton wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

The French kitchen equipment company Moulinex (which mum always said
should be pronounced "Moliknow") actually ran adverts where they
pronounced it "Moon-li-nex", because that was how most UK people said
it.

Hyundai is normally pronounced to rhyme with "high un dry" in the UK, but in
Australia etc. is normally pronounced closer to how the Koreans would
pronounce it, like "shiunday"...

In the UK we pronounce "nissan" as "Niss Ann", to rhyme with "Miss Anne", but
in the US&AUS, it's pronounced "Knee ssahn"

And we pronounced BMW very different to how the Germans pronounce it....
Old July 5th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:54:18 on Mon, 5 Jul
2010, chunkyoldcortina remarked:
Hyundai is normally pronounced to rhyme with "high un dry" in the UK,
but in Australia etc. is normally pronounced closer to how the Koreans
would pronounce it, like "shiunday"...

In the UK we pronounce "nissan" as "Niss Ann", to rhyme with "Miss
Anne", but in the US&AUS, it's pronounced "Knee ssahn"

Another, from the electronic industry is Orion. They call themselves
Orry-on, not Oh-Rye-on.

Old July 7th 10, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"chunkyoldcortina" wrote in message
The Iron Jelloid wrote:
[...]

But for Nissan the pronunciation came from their marketing with the 'Datsun
Nissan one and the same'. Perhaps they preferred the UK'd version so would
seem less foriegn and exotic.

Cheers,
Simon

Old July 13th 10, 09:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:54:24 +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

how I pronounce "raspberries"

'a' as in rats?

--
Alex

Old July 13th 10, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 28, 3:52*pm, Graham Murray wrote:
Josie writes:
On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

Would be perfectly correct if referring to Arkansas City, in the state
of Kansas. Although, as Wikipedia says, "Very few people from other
states, and even much less from the state of Arkansas, use or have
ever heard the anglicized pronunciation. Because of this, and for the
sake of brevity, Arkansas City is most often referred to as simply Ark
City."

John
Old July 13th 10, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Alex Potter
writes
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:54:24 +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

how I pronounce "raspberries"

'a' as in rats?

No, A as in "Ark".

as in "... the erald angels sing"?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9628967.html
(03 158 at Colchester, 13 Apr 1980)
Old July 13th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:45:25 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Alex Potter
writes
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:54:24 +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

how I pronounce "raspberries"

'a' as in rats?

No, A as in "Ark".

as in "... the erald angels sing"?

Not in the choir in which I sang as a boy

--
Alex
Old July 13th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 5, 10:54*pm, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
The Iron Jelloid wrote:
[...]

I've never heard an Aussie say anything other than Hyundai ("high un
dry") - that's what the TV ads sound like,. Likewise Nissan - rhymes
with Miss Anne. What part of Australia are you referring to with
shiunday and "Knee ssahn"?

John