Old July 1st 10, 12:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Roger Traviss wrote:

Conversely, there are cases where post-colonial guilt and PC willy-waving
mean Britons use "local" names which the natives might not themselves use.

But at least it's reasonably close to the Spanish, unlike "bowkay" and
"larngeray" for certain French words, as I've mentioned somewhere.

Anyone mentioned Bombardier yet? (being from Quebec, the train and plane
manufacturer is not pronounced like the beer)

Bom-BAR-d'se-ay. That's how it's pronounced in Quebec.

And speaking of post-colonial guilt why do Brits insist on calling North
America "America" and ****ing off the Canadians, Mexicans, the people of
the Caribbean Islands etc., by calling us all "Americans"?

America and Americans refers ONLY to the peoples of the U.S. of A. The
continent is correctly called North America, no matter what you may think.

"But don't blame the Canadians!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieT_lf9wK28

tom

--
22% Essential Components, 22% Repetitive Patterns, 56% Pauses

Old July 1st 10, 06:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

Graeme wrote:

In message
Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 30/06/2010 09:46, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
19:01:49 on Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Maybe for the same reason Brits insist on calling the Netherlands
"Holland"?

But so do the Dutch (and more so than the British these days, I suspect).

We must move in different circles

I've never knowingly met you, so I guess so!

- I never meet people from Holland, always "the Netherlands".

What about when you are in southern Lincolnshire?

Or Bracknell...

That's more the nether world, though.

Tell*me about it!

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old July 1st 10, 06:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2010 10:58, Graeme wrote:
In
wrote:

On 29/06/2010 18:28, Roger Traviss wrote:
Why do americans insist on calling britain "england"?

Is that North Americans or South Americans?

In this case, "Americans". Those of the U.S.A.

And yes, Americans do constantly call anything from the UK "English".
Canadians aren't so bad.

I was accused of being Australian in the USA...

I was accused of being Australian in Ilford!

Well Ilford is in Essex isn't it?

Old July 1st 10, 06:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:27:14 on
Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Chris Tolley remarked:
We've always said Puh-KIP-see. *When I was an undergraduate at mostly
male Yale, Poughkeepsie, the location of all-female Vassar College,
was of great interest.

I've heard other people pronounce it closer to pickup-see.

Not necessarily indicative. Pronunciations like that could just be pet
names rather than poor attempts to pronounce the name properly.

e.g. Brummagem.

I was on a KLM plane to Birmingham a few years ago, and the cabin crew
announcements were done in a thick Dutch accent, apart from the word
"Birmingham" which was pronounced with a perfect local (Birmingham)
accent.
Old July 1st 10, 08:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 Jun., 19:42, Paul Corfield wrote:

You get Bay-zill (Basil), Fill-ey (Fillet but pronounced as the French
would??!?), Erbs (Herbs) and several others that I can't recall.
That's before you get to Arugula for Rocket, everything being measured
in cups and other nonsenses ;-)

and they eat entrees as main dishes ...
and I gort some strange looks when I wanted a biscuit with my tea.

Old July 1st 10, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:42:41 on Thu, 1 Jul 2010, amogles remarked:
I gort some strange looks when I wanted a biscuit with my tea.

"Biscuits and gravy" for breakfast - a bit like an [English] muffin with
white sauce on top.
Old July 3rd 10, 08:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30/06/10 19:56, Zhang Dawei wrote:
Grantham was never in the part of Lincolnshire called "Holland": it
was in Kesteven,

It still is, or at least the district council is that of South Kesteven.

the other part (if we omit Lincoln itself), in the
north of the county, being Lindsey. If you have ever been to Boston,
then that was the largest town in the part of Lincolnshire called
"Holland".

The other significant town (with a railway station) in Holland being
Spalding.

(Sometimes, the parts of Lincolnshire seemed also to be
called "counties" when I lived there, back in the 60s as well.)

I didn't know that until 1974 they had their own county councils as
"Parts" of Lincolnshire, apparently in a similar arrangement to the
Ridings of Yorkshire.

Roger
Old July 3rd 10, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roger Lynn" wrote
I didn't know that until 1974 they had their own county councils as
"Parts" of Lincolnshire, apparently in a similar arrangement to the
Ridings of Yorkshire.

And it seems that each of the county councils used the form 'parts' (plural)
in their full title within legal documents, e.g. "The County Council of the
County of Lincoln, Parts of Lindsey". Or so I'm told.

Old July 4th 10, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:51:05 +0100, Chris Tolley
(ukonline really) wrote:

Mind you, it's fair to acknowledge that Majors rarely look how one might
imagine fully-grown Majorettes to look.

You _really_ don't want to see what I saw here (Salisbury) yesterday -
a group of middle-aged men, dressed in short red skirts, white socks
or stockings and so on, with fairly heavy makeup, doing a majorette
routine with pompons. I think (hope!) it was supposed to be a joke.
Certainly, a lot of other passers-by seemed to find it amusing. I'm
afraid I just found it gross. But then, I wouldn't have enjoyed it
even if the performers had been young girls: it's just not to my
taste.

(See http://www.devizesmalemajorwrecks.co.uk/.)

Peter.
Old July 4th 10, 11:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:11:01 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

Is that Norrich or Naarridge?

Oh, there are definitely no ridges - it's all flat round there.