Old July 13th 10, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 13, 10:08*am, MIG wrote:

On 13 July, 09:17, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 13, 4:09*am, "
wrote:
Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up when
using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows), so you'd
probably have to top it up at a self-service ticket machine at
Heathrow tube station and you'd need to have the correct amount of
British coinage to do so, as they won't give change when topping up an
Oyster card with cash - note that some Tube ticket machines only take
cards, so make sure you don't join a queue for one of them!

Not knowing the minimum, I went to a counter to top up £3 and was told
it was a minimum of £5. *I said "so I have to use the machine then?"
and then she topped up £3 anyway.

If you are down to your last fiver and need to put on £3 so that you
can get to work and need £2 to buy a sandwich at lunchtime, it's not
very user-friendly to have to top up £5 at the counter or use a
machine that won't give change.

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

Yes, I know: get used to diverting to a friendly shop so that LU can
close down their ticketing facilities.

Old July 13th 10, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

I'm sure I read (here?) that they don't apply the limit to children topping
up at ticket office windows.

Paul S

Old July 13th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 13 July, 10:53, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

I'm sure I read (here?) that they don't apply the limit to children topping
up at ticket office windows.

Paul S

I'll take that as a compliment from the lady concerned.

Old July 13th 10, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a ticket
office and not a ticket stop. I never top up as much as £5.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 14th 10, 12:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 14, 12:51*am, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a ticket
office and not a ticket stop. [...]

January:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13958.aspx

Though I think that's when it was applied across the network, as it's
existed beforehand at certain busy stations (London termini) for a
while (can't recall when that started).

[...] I never top up as much as £5.

I'm tempted to ask why, but as I reckon I could quite easily script
some of the likely responses (not necessarily all coming from you
though) I'm not sure I'll bother!
Old July 14th 10, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:51*am, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a
ticket office and not a ticket stop. [...]

January:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13958.aspx

Though I think that's when it was applied across the network, as
it's
existed beforehand at certain busy stations (London termini) for a
while (can't recall when that started).

Hmm. I see I topped up by £1.80 in March and £1.30 in April. I think at
least one of those was made at a tube station without a murmur. It is just
possible it was done at a ticket machine, I suppose.

[...] I never top up as much as £5.

I'm tempted to ask why, but as I reckon I could quite easily script
some of the likely responses (not necessarily all coming from you
though) I'm not sure I'll bother!

I need to get receipts for the odd rail journeys I make. That is easiest
by topping up by the same amount. I mainly use my bicycle around London
these days, plus an occasional weekend bus journey for which I have a free
pass.

My Oyster balance last went to £5 when I thought I would meet the cap on a
trip to Heathrow but the plane I was meeting was diverted so I never made
the extra journeys I had planned.

--
Colin Rosenstiel