Old July 7th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 07/07/2010 20:59, Lorenzo wrote:
1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

I'm fairly certain he would mind!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...33. 14,,3,1.4

Old July 8th 10, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 July, 21:59, Basil Jet wrote:
On 07/07/2010 20:59, Lorenzo wrote:

1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

* Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

I'm fairly certain he would mind!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...9&spn=0,0.0048...

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.
Old July 8th 10, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 July, 07:36, Paul wrote:
[...]

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

Ganesh
Old July 8th 10, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Lorenzo writes

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

In my experience, taxis will not pick-up anyone from the drop-off point
in York Way.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 8th 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 8, 9:11*am, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
Lorenzo writes

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

In my experience, taxis will not pick-up anyone from the drop-off point
in York Way.

Quite - taxi drivers don't really break rank when it comes to
situations like this.

Old July 8th 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
00:33:56 on Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Ganesh Sittampalam
remarked:
Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". *However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?
Old July 8th 10, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place...

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:
Old July 9th 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 8 July, 23:15, Phil Richards
wrote:
Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place...

The best way to get into the Northern line at Kings Cross is to ignore
the sign that points to the Underground (takes you most of the way
back to Yorkshire on foot) and go to the street at the front of the
station where the LU entrance really is.

Then go into the Victoria Line and get a train to Euston and get the
Northern there. If it's southbound you want, it's an easy interchange.
Old July 9th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 8, 11:15*pm, Phil Richards
wrote:

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place....

I normally only see them at rush hour when they are normally all in
operation.

Ganesh