Old February 4th 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line Tunnels at Kings Cross

I was standing half way along the southbound Victoria Line platform at
Kings Cross, when I happened to look up through the vents in the
roof. Through them, I could see daylight, coming in through what
appears to be another tunnel running more or less parallel to the
Victoria Line.

I've used this platform many times, but have never noticed this other
tunnel before. Is it new (in some way connected with the northern
ticket hall works), or has it always been there? If so, has something
been done to allow light into this tunnel?

Or, has it always been like this, and I've never noticed.

Cheers,

Simon

Old February 5th 07, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 00:38, "SimonD" wrote:
I was standing half way along the southbound Victoria Line platform at
Kings Cross, when I happened to look up through the vents in the
roof. Through them, I could see daylight, coming in through what
appears to be another tunnel running more or less parallel to the
Victoria Line.

I've used this platform many times, but have never noticed this other
tunnel before. Is it new (in some way connected with the northern
ticket hall works), or has it always been there? If so, has something
been done to allow light into this tunnel?

Or, has it always been like this, and I've never noticed.

There's not much above the Victoria Line, except the York Curve:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...9/ltkxplan.gif

Note the Victoria is above the Northern and Piccadilly:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...69/ltkxiso.gif

It's also east of KX itself, so a long way from the Northern ticket
hall.

Old February 5th 07, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 01:57, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article . com,

(SimonD) wrote:
I was standing half way along the southbound Victoria Line platform
at Kings Cross, when I happened to look up through the vents in the
roof. Through them, I could see daylight, coming in through what
appears to be another tunnel running more or less parallel to the
Victoria Line.

I've used this platform many times, but have never noticed this
other tunnel before. Is it new (in some way connected with the

northern
ticket hall works), or has it always been there? If so, has
something been done to allow light into this tunnel?

Or, has it always been like this, and I've never noticed.

Are you sure it's not artificial light in another tunnel?

I had another look today, and it is daylight.

The tunnel is lined with black cast iron segments. Invert level
appears to be just above soffit level of the Victoria line tunnel, and
the whole thing is about a tunnel diameter distant from the Victoria
line line.

Simon

Old February 5th 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 02:07, wrote:

There's not much above the Victoria Line, except the York Curve:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...9/ltkxplan.gif

Note the Victoria is above the Northern and Piccadilly:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...69/ltkxiso.gif

It's also east of KX itself, so a long way from the Northern ticket
hall.

I had a look at these scans before making my original post. Looking
at the plan I'd say the mystery tunnel is slightly west of the York
curve, and runs perpendicular to it. It is also much lower than I
imagine the York curve to be.

I'm not familiar with the proposed layout of the northern ticket hall,
but I understand that there are to be deep level connections to the
tube platforms, which is why I wondered if it was anything to do with
those works.

Simon

Old February 5th 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 16:50, "zerodayz" wrote:
Those plans look great, have you any of other stations?

They are indeed great. There are others on the "See How They Run"
website he
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/stations.html

This site was put together by John Rowland, who's a regular poster
here on utl. The site isn't really updated regularly these days but
that doesn't stop it from being a splendid resource for an assorted
collection of transport related information.

Old February 5th 07, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 00:38, "SimonD" wrote:
I was standing half way along the southbound Victoria Line platform at
Kings Cross, when I happened to look up through the vents in the
roof. Through them, I could see daylight, coming in through what
appears to be another tunnel running more or less parallel to the
Victoria Line.

I've used this platform many times, but have never noticed this other
tunnel before. Is it new (in some way connected with the northern
ticket hall works), or has it always been there? If so, has something
been done to allow light into this tunnel?

Or, has it always been like this, and I've never noticed.

I think the tunnel has always been there - the shafts leading into the
Victoria line platform tunnel are integrated with and of the same
design as the original panelling. I noticed that they are artificially
illuminated at night at least - I haven't seen during the day. From
the design of the grilles on the Victoria line tunnel roof, I think
they are part of the ventilation system for the station. I'm not sure
if they are being modified or incorporated into the works connected
with the Northern Ticket Hall though.

Old March 7th 07, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
SimonD writes
I had a look at these scans before making my original post. Looking
at the plan I'd say the mystery tunnel is slightly west of the York
curve, and runs perpendicular to it. It is also much lower than I
imagine the York curve to be.

I finally got round to looking at this tunnel this morning. It appears
to be running under (and perpendicular to) York Way itself. I haven't
figured out where the light is coming from (i.e. where the hole is
that's letting in the light).

I wonder if it's along the line of the north-to-west curve that was
never used, but I thought that was a brick tunnel.

Most mysterious.

I'm not familiar with the proposed layout of the northern ticket hall,
but I understand that there are to be deep level connections to the
tube platforms, which is why I wondered if it was anything to do with
those works.

I believe they are running from rather further east.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old March 8th 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
I finally got round to looking at this tunnel this morning. It appears
to be running under (and perpendicular to) York Way itself. I haven't
figured out where the light is coming from (i.e. where the hole is
that's letting in the light).

I think it has to be behind that hoarding at the south-east corner of
the station. There's some kind of derrick with "tunnelling" on it.

The Victoria Line is about 12m below the booking office, so about 16m
below street level. So the light is coming down a 6 or 7 metre hole.
Still very curious.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: