Old July 9th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Paddington barriers again

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

Old July 9th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more! You
have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

Paul S

Old July 9th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8 & 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

I'm not sure if there was any pedestrian access next to the cab road
in those days, as the cast iron bridge it uses (which now forms part
of that northern exit) is quite narrow - nor am I sure whether or not
there was any other pedestrian exit up this way.

There did used to be a direct entrance onto the H&C line platforms
from Bishop's Bridge too - I'm not sure when this fell out of use, it
may have even been before the H&C line tracks and BR tracks on the
approach to Paddington were disentangled in the 60's. The current
emergency exit bridge between the H&C island platform and platforms
13/14 is I believe a remnant of this.

You're right about the cab road coming from Bishop's Bridge down the ramp
and along platforms 8/9. In the far distant past there was also a cab road
down platforms 10/11.

When I was working for BR (WR London DMO) in 1967 I recall a reference to
Paddington E Booking Office which I was led to believe was the one on
Bishop's Bridge, but that it had closed some little time before. The
rearrangement of the tracks, moving the westbound H&C to from 13 to 15
happened later in 1967.

If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can think of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

Peter

Old July 9th 10, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 9, 12:59*pm, wrote:

(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote:
There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more!
You have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's
cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

I was thinking of Paddington (Circle and District), not the one half way
to Ealing.

What, you mean Paddington?
Old July 9th 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 03:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.
Old July 9th 10, 06:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

Which I *think* there might be somewhere along there (the 'not
dedicated as a public R-O-W one).
Old July 9th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

There are other ways of ensuring that a way does not become a public right
of way by presumed dedication. One is to close it for one day a year, and
retain evidence of having done so. It is also possible to deposit a map and
statutory declarations with the highway authority. But I agree that the
normal way is to post a sign.

Peter

Old July 9th 10, 11:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:09:59 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can think of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

This was my proposal, pretty much, though that other exit is an issue.
The easier short-term one, as practiced by LM, is just to open the
barriers in the peaks and use them off-peak only, taking the very
slight revenue hit in favour of good customer service and safety
management.

The disused bridge to 13-14 may well be of use here - perhaps this
could be the exit and the main one the entrance. But I'm sure I read
about existing overcrowding issues on those platforms as well.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.