Old December 1st 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bendibus 18

Hi all,

I love the leaflet about the new Citaro Bendibuses on route 18. It features
a picture of a grinning driver taking an 18 through a bizarre minimal
landscape like something out of the Magic Roundabout, while all the
passengers look out the windows wondering if they are being abducted.

The picture also shows that the back two sets of doors go up to the roof
while the front set doesn't. Does anyone know why?

It mentions that the cashless operation and multi-door loading will speed
journey times. I am wondering whether the route will now have fewer buses
and fewer drivers, or whether they will they run a more frequent service
with the same number of buses and drivers. Do the buses cost more than
double deckers? Do they cost more to run? Do the drivers get paid more?
Overall, does running a bendibus route cost less, over a 50 year period?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 2nd 03, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:15:46 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

The picture also shows that the back two sets of doors go up to the roof
while the front set doesn't. Does anyone know why?

The back doors are plug-sliding doors like those found on newer
trains, while the front are traditional bus doors. I think the door
height would have to do with how much equipment needs to be above the
door for the latter versus the former?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old December 2nd 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I sometimes get the bendy 18 from opposite The Euston Tower. The buses
really struggle to get round past Warren Street tube station onto the
Euston Road - the corner's too tight.

Old December 10th 03, 12:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
.uk...

The buses really struggle to get round past Warren Street
tube station onto the Euston Road - the corner's too tight.

I rode one the other day and looked out for that, but the bus had no
problem. Maybe some of the drivers are less capable than ours. One thing I
did notice was that at a number of the (westbound) stops, the driver stopped
with the front door alongside railings: this even happened at the startpoint
at Euston.

As we went through Harlesden it struck me that, with the exception of the
former Red Arrows, these "free buses" have all been targeted at London's
most notorious areas... is this a deliberate policy of redistribution of
wealth, by making sure that people in the poorest neighbourhoods can get in
and out of Central London free of charge? Is Livingstone, Gavron or someone
similar deciding which routes should get burndibuses?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 10th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

As we went through Harlesden it struck me that, with the exception of the
former Red Arrows, these "free buses" have all been targeted at London's
most notorious areas...

otherwise known as the areas with the worst (or no) tube service??

Old December 10th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
As we went through Harlesden it struck me that, with the exception of the
former Red Arrows, these "free buses" have all been targeted at London's
most notorious areas... is this a deliberate policy of redistribution of
wealth, by making sure that people in the poorest neighbourhoods can get in
and out of Central London free of charge? Is Livingstone, Gavron or someone
similar deciding which routes should get burndibuses?

More likely they decided that its safer for the drivers to work in these
scumbag areas if they don't have any money on board so theres 1 less reason
for them to be mugged or assaulted.

B2003