Old August 13th 10, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stepless platforms

"michael adams" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:32:46AM +0000, d wrote:

Can anyone think of any tube stations where the platforms lead directly out
onto the street without any lifts/steps/escalators? The only ones I can think
of are Woodside Park, Epping and Kew Gardens. I'm sure there must be lots more
that I've not been to.

Olympia is certainly stepless from the District line and the northbound
Overground, I think it's also stepless from the southbound platform too.

Sudbury Town.

Another is Uxbridge.

Sudbury Town has a gateline to each platform leading directly from the
street\alleyway while at Uxbridge being a terminus the gateline is at the
end of all the platforms.

There are others such as North Ealing and North Acton with a street\alleyway
level gateline to one platform but where access to the other platform
is by means of a footbridge.

There's a map and accompanying details here.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-guide-map.pdf

According to the map neither North Acton nor North Ealing qualify in any respect.
Maybe on account of the footbridge access to one platform; or because my memeory
is playing me tricks; or because of rebuilding or remodelling in the last few years.

michael adams

Planckton: n, the smallest possible living thing

Old August 13th 10, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

michael adams wrote on 13 August 2010 19:34:24 ...
"michael wrote in message

"michael wrote in message

"David wrote in message
[...]

The Central Line at North Acton is in quite a deep cutting. According
to an old accessibility spreadsheet that I acquired years ago, there are
at least 26 steps down to each platform.

North Ealing is shown as level access to the ticket hall, then 14 steps
down to the westbound platform, which is the one you don't need the
footbridge for.
--
Richard J.

Old August 13th 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"michael wrote in message

"michael wrote in message

"David wrote in message
[...]

From about 20 years ago can I only remember two steep alleys from either end of
Victoria Road both leading down to the station and the westbound platform but
no steps. There was no outside access to the eastbound platform as the main
freight line ran directly behind it. However having wiki'd it, seems there were
and are stairs between the booking hall at the bottom of the slope, and the
platform, which I totally forgot. Plus the station has now been remodelled with an
extra platform. The former eastbound platform now being an island platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Acton_tube_station

North Ealing is shown as level access to the ticket hall, then 14 steps
down to the westbound platform, which is the one you don't need the
footbridge for.

Correct. And that howler was only from a couple of years ago. It's maybe
just as well I haven't been called to give evidence in any murder trials

michael adams

Richard J.

Old August 16th 10, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 04:06:52AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:45=A0am, David Cantrell wrote:
Olympia is certainly stepless from the District line and the northbound
Overground, I think it's also stepless from the southbound platform too.

It is, yes. Long way round on street to change platforms though!

Incidentally, London Overground advertise Clapham Junction as having
step-free access to the street. Never mind that their trains ain't
exactly at platform level, *none* of the platforms have step-free access
to the street. And even when all the lifts from platform to bridge are
commissioned, there's still not been any work that I can see on having
an exit from the bridge to St John's Hill. And even when that has been
done, there's still no lift for platform 17, which LO occasionally use.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way
Old August 16th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes

Incidentally, London Overground advertise Clapham Junction as having
step-free access to the street. Never mind that their trains ain't
exactly at platform level, *none* of the platforms have step-free access
to the street. And even when all the lifts from platform to bridge are
commissioned, there's still not been any work that I can see on having
an exit from the bridge to St John's Hill. And even when that has been
done, there's still no lift for platform 17, which LO occasionally use.

I guess it's possible that the step-free reference refers to the
stair-creepers for wheelchairs on the steps down to street level. But
they're hugely inconvenient (National Rail recommend adding an hour if
using them for an interchange!) and are of no help for non-wheelchair
users with mobility problems.

--
Paul Terry
Old August 18th 10, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:48:26PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

I guess it's possible that the step-free reference refers to the
stair-creepers for wheelchairs on the steps down to street level. But
they're hugely inconvenient (National Rail recommend adding an hour if
using them for an interchange!) and are of no help for non-wheelchair
users with mobility problems.

What are these "stair creepers"? Is this something like a portable
stair lift that they install when needed?

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!
Old August 18th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:48:26PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

I guess it's possible that the step-free reference refers to the
stair-creepers for wheelchairs on the steps down to street level. But
they're hugely inconvenient (National Rail recommend adding an hour if
using them for an interchange!) and are of no help for non-wheelchair
users with mobility problems.

What are these "stair creepers"? Is this something like a portable
stair lift that they install when needed?

Is this the sort of thing? 'Creepers' seems a less used term than
'climbers'.

http://www.mobilitystairclimbers.co.uk/

Paul S