Old August 23rd 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
fvw fvw is offline

Default Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

On 22 Aug, 19:16, Neil Williams
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:27:03 +0100, "Ian F."

wrote:
We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. *What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? *We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. *How about a shuttle? *What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

Don't know the taxi fare, but your options are basically public
transport or taxi - I'm not aware of any US-style shuttles - it was
tried but was a failure, probably because of London's traffic.

Assuming you don't have lots of luggage I would abandon the "don't
want to deal with buses, lightrails or trains", take the DLR to
Canning Town then the Jubilee Line to Swiss Cottage which is the
nearest Tube station (it's nowhere near Regent's Park station). *It's
not overly complicated (though it will require one change - just a
quick walk downstairs) and it'll cost four quid each (or less with an
Oyster card if you have one).

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Off a transatlantic journey? If so, £40 for a taxi seems like fair
value, compared to a nerve-frazzling encounter with a foreign public
transport system. Depends on budget and age of traveller,
obviously.

Old August 23rd 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:13:41 -0700 (PDT), fvw
wrote:

Off a transatlantic journey? If so, £40 for a taxi seems like fair
value, compared to a nerve-frazzling encounter with a foreign public
transport system. Depends on budget and age of traveller,
obviously.

When I'm tired off such a journey, I tend to look for a nice logical
public transport system rather than the potential to be ripped off by
an unscrupulous[1] taxi driver who doesn't know where they're
going[2].

The public transport journey noted is extremely simple, and I and
others have given detailed descriptions of how to undertake it.

[1] This potential is rather low in London compared with many
countries, of course. But as a "foreigner" I wouldn't know that.

[2] Again, not in London.

Neil
Old August 23rd 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
14:13:41 on Mon, 23 Aug 2010, fvw remarked:
Off a transatlantic journey?

The only flights arriving that time of night seem to be from
Switzerland, but the OP could have got a "deal" by flying transatlantic
with a stopover there. (Traditionally transatlantic flights land in
Europe the morning, so even if by a roundabout route, getting to the UK
at 9pm is a bit odd).

Old August 23rd 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message OYtco.163011$6C1.65588@hurricane, Robin
writes
I've not used London City recently (and am a UK national). The OP
appeared to be posting from the USA and I don't think has given
nationalities. So possibly a bit more than 20 minutes if arriving from
outside the UK and hits a queue for immigration?

Things might have changed since I last used City airport (over a year
ago) but about 99% of users seem to be EU citizens so they don't appear
to bother with separate immigration lines. A few years ago I came back
with a colleague who had US passport but the airline didn't hand out the
landing cards for non-EU citizens as they generally do. It took City
Airport a bit by surprise that anyone would need a landing card, but
they found him one, it took him all of a minute to fill it in, and we
were on our way. Out to the street within 10 minutes of landing, as is
so often the case there. If only all airports were as efficient.

--
Clive Page
Old August 23rd 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On 08/23/2010 11:54 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
14:13:41 on Mon, 23 Aug 2010, fvw remarked:
Off a transatlantic journey?

The only flights arriving that time of night seem to be from
Switzerland, but the OP could have got a "deal" by flying transatlantic
with a stopover there. (Traditionally transatlantic flights land in
Europe the morning, so even if by a roundabout route, getting to the UK
at 9pm is a bit odd).

I didn't notice the OP said he was flying transatlantic.

Old August 24th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Aug 23, 2:54*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
14:13:41 on Mon, 23 Aug 2010, fvw remarked:

Off a transatlantic journey?

The only flights arriving that time of night seem to be from
Switzerland, but the OP could have got a "deal" by flying transatlantic
with a stopover there. (Traditionally transatlantic flights land in
Europe the morning, so even if by a roundabout route, getting to the UK
at 9pm is a bit odd).

good guess. We are flying in from Zurich on a one hour flight. So
shouldn't be too tired.
Old August 24th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:26:24 on Tue, 24 Aug
2010, Tom P remarked:

I didn't notice the OP said he was flying transatlantic.

Nor did I, which was why I said the time of day was a bit strange for
that. The only transatlantic flight at City airport is the "BA2" from
New York at 7.15 am.
Old August 27th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
14:13:41 on Mon, 23 Aug 2010, fvw remarked:
Off a transatlantic journey?

The only flights arriving that time of night seem to be from Switzerland,
but the OP could have got a "deal" by flying transatlantic with a stopover
there. (Traditionally transatlantic flights land in Europe the morning, so
even if by a roundabout route, getting to the UK at 9pm is a bit odd).

Most transatlantic flights do indeed arrive in the morning, but by no means
all, especially from the East coast of the US to London. I recently
returned from New York and was just about going through baggage reclaim at
Heathrow at 9pm.

Martin

Old August 27th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:43:54 on Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Martin Rich
remarked:
Most transatlantic flights do indeed arrive in the morning, but by no
means all, especially from the East coast of the US to London. I
recently returned from New York and was just about going through
baggage reclaim at Heathrow at 9pm.

I've arrived back from NY at about that time too. Although having
travelled at Mach 2

Currently there's only two JFK-LHR flights that arrive after midday:

VS 46 dep 1.50am arr 1.17pm
AA 142 dep 8.30am arr 8.25pm
BA 178 dep 8.40am arr 8.35pm

compared to 14 that arrive between 6.35am and 11.35am
Old August 27th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On 8/27/2010 10:48 AM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
14:43:54 on Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Martin Rich
remarked:
Most transatlantic flights do indeed arrive in the morning, but by no
means all, especially from the East coast of the US to London. I
recently returned from New York and was just about going through
baggage reclaim at Heathrow at 9pm.

I've arrived back from NY at about that time too. Although having
travelled at Mach 2

Currently there's only two JFK-LHR flights that arrive after midday:

VS 46 dep 1.50am arr 1.17pm
AA 142 dep 8.30am arr 8.25pm
BA 178 dep 8.40am arr 8.35pm

compared to 14 that arrive between 6.35am and 11.35am

There's a Continental flight EWR-LHR that arrives around 9 pm. I suppose
it may have been discontinued recently, but it was certainly available
this Spring.