Old December 12th 12, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London buses to offer contactless payment card option from tomorrow(12/12/12)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL modes
(Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

I think the previous thread contains a number of misconceptions as to
how the system will work - both immediately and when it's rolled out
fully - so if I get a mo I'll try and return to them. (Well, I should
add that's *my* understanding as to how the system will work - which may
be no understanding at all. In particular the notion that a PIN may need
to be entered on the bus as is possible with other contactless
transactions is rather far of the mark, because AIUI public transport /
transit payments using contactless aka payWave cards are a rather
different beast to regular contactless payments in retailers etc.)

Old December 12th 12, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and voila
it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no capping
initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL modes (Tube,
DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

So

With only XX percentage of customers having a "contactless" bank card (I
don't have one, and I have 3 bank cards in my wallet).

Only usable on the bus

and no capping even to the one day buss pass.

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

tim

Old December 12th 12, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2012 21:43, Mizter T wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL modes
(Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

Chiltern are doing a limited experiment with contactless payment for
Singles and Returns (including, strangely, Senior Railcard discounts,
but *only* Senior Railcard discount) from Great Missenden to Marylebone.

You can't just "touch in" at Great Missenden and out at Marylebone,
instead you buy a "ticket" from a reprogrammed Parkeon Strada car park
payment machine at Great Missenden, which prints a slightly modified car
park type ticket.

Photos of the machine and a ticket can be found on Flickr at
http://sn.im/gmn_contactless

Cheers,

Barry

Old December 12th 12, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL
modes (Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

So

With only XX percentage of customers having a "contactless" bank card (I
don't have one, and I have 3 bank cards in my wallet).

Only usable on the bus

and no capping even to the one day buss pass.

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

It's an experiment to test the technology in the real world, not to prove
that large numbers of people will use this limited, first stage
implementation. On that basis, it'll be a success if the technology works
reliably, even if relatively few people use it at first (perhaps mainly
people who left their Oyster cards at home). Oyster also had limited
capabilities at first, and features were added in stages.
Old December 12th 12, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2012 22:37, tim..... wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL
modes (Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

So

With only XX percentage of customers having a "contactless" bank card (I
don't have one, and I have 3 bank cards in my wallet).

Only usable on the bus

and no capping even to the one day buss pass.

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

I (genuinely) totally disagree with you - I think this will eventually
become one of the so-called 'killer applications' that pushes the
contactless card payment method into the mainstream.

(And FWIW, I haven't got a contactless card in my wallet either!)

Old December 12th 12, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London buses to offer contactless payment card option from tomorrow(13/12/12)

[...]

Re the end of original subject line - it read "(12/12/12)" when it
should of course have read "(13/12/12)".
Old December 12th 12, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

tim

Its not an experiment. All London buses have Oyster readers and now they all
also read NFC cards if anyone wants to use them - indefinitely. I imagine
that like Oyster their use will increase steadily and the tube will follow
quite soon. They avoid worrying about topups and visitors do not need to buy
a special card just to use buses in central London where you cannot pay cash
to the driver.

Old December 12th 12, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I (genuinely) totally disagree with you - I think this will eventually
become one of the so-called 'killer applications' that pushes the
contactless card payment method into the mainstream.

(And FWIW, I haven't got a contactless card in my wallet either!)

I have two, and it means I have to get my Oyster out of my wallet now,
while I used to be able to just bang the whole wallet on the reader.

But yes, I agree, this will become a "killer app" - particularly for
non-London bus companies who don't wish to spend a fortune on the
infrastructure to do a PAYG smartcard when the banks can do it for them.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old December 13th 12, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2012 22:37, tim..... wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL
modes (Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

So

With only XX percentage of customers having a "contactless" bank card (I
don't have one, and I have 3 bank cards in my wallet).

Only usable on the bus

and no capping even to the one day buss pass.

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

tim

I thought that banks were starting to redistribute cards with the
contactless feature, however.

Old December 13th 12, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2012 22:58, Mizter T wrote:

On 12/12/2012 22:37, tim..... wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

The timescale of this was what I asked about just two weeks ago, and
voila it's here - not the full version by any means, as they'll be no
capping initially, and it'll be some while longer before other TfL
modes (Tube, DLR, LO etc) accept it, with no word yet on NR.

So

With only XX percentage of customers having a "contactless" bank card (I
don't have one, and I have 3 bank cards in my wallet).

Only usable on the bus

and no capping even to the one day buss pass.

I predict a complete failure of this experiment

I (genuinely) totally disagree with you - I think this will eventually
become one of the so-called 'killer applications' that pushes the
contactless card payment method into the mainstream.

(And FWIW, I haven't got a contactless card in my wallet either!)

Will this eventually mean the demise of Oystercards?