Old September 9th 10, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Javelin Trains Side-lined

wrote in message
news

[snip]

Curious. The trains are timetabled at only 125MPH, with higher speeds
only used to catch up when running late.

Presumably the speeds in tunnel are lower still?

Old September 9th 10, 09:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 8, 5:55*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I'd also propose that NO trains have been 'sidelined' at any time. Some are
modified, and some aren't, that's all.

Still in service, then? The Standard seemed to be reporting as if
they'd all been withdrawn for mods with all trains cancelled.

Is the lurching any worse than, say, a Pendolino through Berkhamsted
(just before Berko there is a particularly bad lurch and bang where
the tilt mechanism reaches its full extent at the same time as a bad
bit of track makes the suspension bottom and the cant increases).
Actually, I've been tempted to report it in case there's actually
something wrong - does anyone else know what I mean and have a view?

Neil
Old September 9th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 8, 5:55*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I'd also propose that NO trains have been 'sidelined' at any time. Some are
modified, and some aren't, that's all.

Still in service, then? The Standard seemed to be reporting as if
they'd all been withdrawn for mods with all trains cancelled.

Is the lurching any worse than, say, a Pendolino through Berkhamsted
(just before Berko there is a particularly bad lurch and bang where
the tilt mechanism reaches its full extent at the same time as a bad
bit of track makes the suspension bottom and the cant increases).
Actually, I've been tempted to report it in case there's actually
something wrong - does anyone else know what I mean and have a view?

I think I know exactly what you mean. There was a particular spot on
my commute home from London to Haywards Heath/Brighton where there was
a terrific 'lurch', just south of Redhill station where the "Quarry
Line" (Redhill-avoiding main line) rejoined the line that runs through
Redhill station. It was at its worst in seats at the trailing ends of
Class 319 coaches, or in the motor coach of a 4-BIG, CIG or VEP when
the suspension would bottom out with a bang. I did report it, several
times, as did many other passengers (apparently) and eventually some
work was done to the track that reduced the 'lurch' to something more
tolerable.

What you have described as 'lurching' that is pretty common in
Pendolinos. I've had about 15-16 trips in them this year, all north
of Milton Keynes, and they all suffer that problem at several points
between Rugby and Stafford - to the point where I doubt they were ever
credibly going to run in service at 140 mph as I have said on here
before.

The 'hunting' of the Class 395s is quite different. Rather than a
one-off 'lurch' at a particular location, 'hunting' is a resonant
oscillation of a dynamic system that can continue for several minutes.
It is loud, uncomfortable and unpleasant. It can be quite alarming to
passengers because it is quite clearly uncontrolled, even though it
probably poses a low risk to safety.

This continuous 'hunting' is therefore quite different from the
one-off 'lurching'.

Old September 9th 10, 10:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 9 Sep, 10:29, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 8, 5:55*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I'd also propose that NO trains have been 'sidelined' at any time. Some are
modified, and some aren't, that's all.

Still in service, then? *The Standard seemed to be reporting as if
they'd all been withdrawn for mods with all trains cancelled.

Is the lurching any worse than, say, a Pendolino through Berkhamsted
(just before Berko there is a particularly bad lurch and bang where
the tilt mechanism reaches its full extent at the same time as a bad
bit of track makes the suspension bottom and the cant increases).
Actually, I've been tempted to report it in case there's actually
something wrong - does anyone else know what I mean and have a view?

Neil

No, it's old fashioned hunting due to the lateral damping being too
soft. solved by a simple mod.

Roger
Old September 9th 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 9, 10:29*am, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sep 8, 5:55*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I'd also propose that NO trains have been 'sidelined' at any time. Some are
modified, and some aren't, that's all.

Still in service, then? *The Standard seemed to be reporting as if
they'd all been withdrawn for mods with all trains cancelled.

The Standard report is thoroughly misleading - they're still in
service, but trains are being taken out of service for mods.

Old September 9th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ivor The Engine" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 20:49:35 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I must go down and scout it out when it's finished. Hopefully the
entrance to the park is near the station (like the Dome), not half a
mile round the corner?

Apparently the entrance will be at the station but people face a walk
of up to a mile to get to some of the venues...

How shocking! People will have to do some exercise? And at an Olympic site?!
This sort of thing should be stopped at once! ;-)

Old September 9th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
wrote in message
news
[snip]

Curious. The trains are timetabled at only 125MPH, with higher speeds
only used to catch up when running late.

Presumably the speeds in tunnel are lower still?

No, the max speed in the newer section from Southfleet Jn to London is 230
km/h (140 mph). It is Eurostar that is running below normal speed in this
whole section, including the London tunnels...

The proper LGV speeds cease where they used to turn off into South London

Paul S

Old September 9th 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Ivor The Engine
writes

Apparently the entrance will be at the station but people face a walk
of up to a mile to get to some of the venues...

More like a walk of 150 miles to get to the furthest venue.

Actually, I doubt that the public would have to walk as far as a mile to
get to any of the venues within the park, as the more distant areas from
the entrance are not for the public (e.g. the athletes' warm-up area and
the huge media centre are both on the far perimeter). The Olympic Park
is actually quite small (c.500 acres) - not much bigger than Regent's
Park, in fact.
--
Paul Terry