Old September 8th 10, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Javelin Trains Side-lined

On 08/09/10 22:13, wrote:
On 08/09/2010 21:31, Daniel Smith wrote:
On 08/09/10 20:16,
wrote:
On 08/09/2010 19:17, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 08/09/2010 18:48, David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 09:27:40 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be CJB
wrote this:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...0mph-wobble.do

I see that the campaign for the mass media to not call these trains
Javelins at the moment seems to have had an effect.

Rail operator Southeastern today admitted the trains were suffering
“sideways movement” — an embarrassment for Japanese manufacturer
Hitachi,

Which ISTR tells us that their trains will "work straight out of the
box".

What manufacturer is going to say otherwise? (maybe AnsaldoBreda!)

The problem is believed to be caused because the trains have
to switch between the high-speed line and conventional tracks at
Ashford and Ebbsfleet.

Trains have to switch between high-speed lines and "conventional
tracks" at quite a large number of places around the world. What is
it about Ashford and Ebbsfleet that makes them different?

Didn't a Turkish high speed train derail while moving to or from the
classic lines a few months ago?

How does the signalling system differ on the high-speed lines, compared
with the classic lines? I think that the former does not have AWS.

It dosent have signals full stop.... its signaled on TVM430 (the french
TGV system, that is used in the channel tunnel)

i belive that ETRMS level 2 is also overlaied on this, but im not sure
exactly how much this is used

Even if it does not have wayside signals, I would imagine that it has
some sort of signalling system to regulate the Javelins' movements.

Does it have any waysides, by the way, such as at stations or at points?

AFAIK just the normal TVM430 yellow and blue boards

Old September 8th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
22:42:55 on Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I’ll have you know I once drank in a not for profit state owned bar,
one of the members’ bars in the House of Commons.

When I checked the price of my beer, boy had the state delivered.

Figures I've seen quoted in recent "OMG MPs and their guests eat and
drink it's disgusting!!!!" newspaper articles suggested the prices are
more than in, say, a Trafalgar Square pub.

When I was last bought a drink on the Terrace outside the HoL (about a
year ago) I was surprised how much it cost. According to my host, any
subsidies there once might have been are long gone.
Old September 8th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:02:46 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Sep 8, 6:53*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
[snip]
taking spectators from St Pancras to the Olympics park in Stratford in
seven minutes.

To the Park. Really? Surely that's only going to get as far as the
station, near the park.

Yes, to the Park (Really) - Stratford International is bang on the
edge of the Olympic Park.

How far away is the opposite "edge" ?

The problem is believed to be caused because the trains have
to switch between the high-speed line and conventional tracks at
Ashford and Ebbsfleet.

Dodgy points then. Do they have no "wobble" anywhere else?

Did you read the article?

Old September 8th 10, 10:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

[...]

I've seen them, and they are shaped in an arrow. Is that where they pick
up hits?

Can you provide a link about TVM 430, so that I might read and learn
about it?
Old September 8th 10, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Philip) wrote:

On 08/09/2010 18:57, allantracy wrote:

Which ISTR tells us that their trains will "work straight out of the
box".

It_s still an unfortunate fact that most of the recently imported
foreign technology has worked a darn sight better from day one than
anything home produced we have encountered before.

The days of newly delivered stock parked up for months on end, for one
problem or another, before finally entering service does seem to be a
thing of the past.

I thought that was a German problem right now.

I seem to recall that the Derby built Class 357 was named Britain's
most reliable train at this year's Golden Spanners.

It wasn't like that when they were new.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 8th 10, 11:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

[...]

sure, but googling it gives this as the top hit...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Voie-Machine

also some info on Railsigns.co.uk

http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/tvm1/tvm1.html

Old September 9th 10, 12:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 20:49:35 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I must go down and scout it out when it's finished. Hopefully the
entrance to the park is near the station (like the Dome), not half a
mile round the corner?

Apparently the entrance will be at the station but people face a walk
of up to a mile to get to some of the venues...
Old September 9th 10, 06:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:22:08 on
Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Ivor The Engine remarked:
I must go down and scout it out when it's finished. Hopefully the
entrance to the park is near the station (like the Dome), not half a
mile round the corner?

Apparently the entrance will be at the station but people face a walk
of up to a mile to get to some of the venues...

Looking at some maps I see that the main stadium is actually further
from Stratford International station than the current/"regional"
station.
Old September 9th 10, 08:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep, 18:53, Roland Perry wrote:
The problems emerged only months after Southeastern trains began
running services

So they didn't wobble to start with?

It does seem to me that they have got worse recently. However, I
usually travel in the London-most car, which is a trailer, and it
seems to be the motor cars in the middle that have it worst, at least
in my experience.
--
Roy