Old September 30th 10, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Default I'm in the tunnel

In message , at 19:16:56 on Thu, 30
Sep 2010, " remarked:
Dover-Calais, even inside the restaurant, there's always some coverage
by UK or French networks on the passenger decks. Outside on top, it's
usually though not always possible to select one's UK network from
just outside Calais

You can already pick up French networks at high points in Dover.

From the beach below the cliffs, you can *only* pick up French networks!

Old September 30th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
wrote in message

What about National Rail?

They tend to use GSM-R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM-R

They will ultimately, but the infrastructure rollout and fit to the trains
has only just started. The reopened East London line is probably one of very
few lines where GSM(R) is the only option available, there are other areas
where it is used under trial conditions but with the obsolescent NRN and CSR
still available...

Paul S

Old September 30th 10, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 30 Sep, 15:10, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:46*pm, andy wrote:

[snip]
Dover-Calais, even inside the restaurant, there's always some coverage
by UK or French networks on the passenger decks. Outside on top, it's
usually though not always possible to select one's UK network from
just outside Calais

You can pick up the French networks when walking along the cliffs near
Dover.

Of course, but I didn't mention it because as this is mainly British
readers we'd be less interested in doing so

I was once surprised to get 14 networks shown on a search from the top
of the ferry, on an old phone with 1800 MHz only. It wouldn't actually
log in to the Dutch ones though.
Old September 30th 10, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sep 30, 9:34*pm, andy wrote:

On 30 Sep, 15:10, Mizter T wrote:

On Sep 30, 2:46*pm, andy wrote:
[snip]
Dover-Calais, even inside the restaurant, there's always some coverage
by UK or French networks on the passenger decks. Outside on top, it's
usually though not always possible to select one's UK network from
just outside Calais

You can pick up the French networks when walking along the cliffs near
Dover.

Of course, but I didn't mention it because as this is mainly British
readers we'd be less interested in doing so

Well, when I've been walking down that way with fellow Brits and
indeed others they've certainly been amused by it - it's a great
demonstration of just how close we are on this island to the
continental mainland, yet how this little bit of water has and indeed
still does mean so much. Well, that and the fact you can easily see
ruddy great chunks of the French coast across the channel no problem!

I was once surprised to get 14 networks shown on a search from the top
of the ferry, on an old phone with 1800 MHz only. It wouldn't actually
log in to the Dutch ones though.

I shall try and remember to do that next time. ISTR that the network
of the country you're coming from hangs onto you for much of the sea
crossing (putting aside manual selection).
Old September 30th 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.mobile Job Justification Hearings, Mizter T
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

On Sep 29, 11:59 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Presumably, providing universal 3G coverage to the emergency services
would be an entirely different kettle of fish. Very expensive fish.

Depends how it's implemented. One could suggest ditching TETRA and
running emergency service comms over Skype on Three,

You nearly got me there, until I looked up and saw it wasn't Steve Terry's
name on the post!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:18:38 up 7 days, 4:38, 7 users, load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00

Old September 30th 10, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 2010\09\30 22:02, Mizter T wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:34 pm, wrote:

I was once surprised to get 14 networks shown on a search from the top
of the ferry, on an old phone with 1800 MHz only. It wouldn't actually
log in to the Dutch ones though.

I shall try and remember to do that next time. ISTR that the network
of the country you're coming from hangs onto you for much of the sea
crossing (putting aside manual selection).

How do you know all of this? My phone just makes calls without giving me
any info about whether foreign networks are visible.
Old September 30th 10, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"andy" wrote in message
On 30 Sep, 15:10, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:46 pm, andy wrote:

[snip]
Dover-Calais, even inside the restaurant, there's always some coverage
by UK or French networks on the passenger decks. Outside on top, it's
usually though not always possible to select one's UK network from
just outside Calais

You can pick up the French networks when walking along the cliffs near
Dover.

Of course, but I didn't mention it because as this is mainly British
readers we'd be less interested in doing so

I was once surprised to get 14 networks shown on a search from the top
of the ferry, on an old phone with 1800 MHz only. It wouldn't actually
log in to the Dutch ones though.

Too far for a GSM phone to work on the normal time shift multiplex,
some North Scandinavian cells use double time slots which roughly triple
the distance possible, but at the expense of only half the number of
possible users

Steve Terry
--
"I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
without having guns pointed at me.

Old September 30th 10, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 30/09/10 23:32, Basil Jet wrote:

How do you know all of this? My phone just makes calls without giving me
any info about whether foreign networks are visible.

There will be a menu option to allow you to manually select the network
the phone is attached to. When you select this option, the phone will
present a menu of all the networks that are visible to it.

-roy

Old September 30th 10, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"alexd" wrote in message
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.mobile Job Justification Hearings, Mizter T
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

On Sep 29, 11:59 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Presumably, providing universal 3G coverage to the emergency services
would be an entirely different kettle of fish. Very expensive fish.

Depends how it's implemented. One could suggest ditching TETRA and
running emergency service comms over Skype on Three,

You nearly got me there, until I looked up and saw it wasn't Steve Terry's
name on the post!

I'm an advocate of GSM Pro PTT which has and does provided emergency
PR comms cheaply and securely in many countries for some 15 years.

I'd have to be foaming at the mouth insane to suggest Skype could replace
Tetra

I guess it comes down to whether a Gov in power at the time of such
decisions and issuing of contracts supports O2 or Ericsson?

If Ericsson, then that country is likely to get GSM Pro (at the cost of
£millions)
If O2 (or one of it's associates), then that country is likely to get Tetra
(at the cost of £billions)

Steve Terry

Old September 30th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 30/09/2010 21:34, andy wrote:
On 30 Sep, 15:10, Mizter wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:46 pm, wrote:

[snip]
Dover-Calais, even inside the restaurant, there's always some coverage
by UK or French networks on the passenger decks. Outside on top, it's
usually though not always possible to select one's UK network from
just outside Calais

You can pick up the French networks when walking along the cliffs near
Dover.

Of course, but I didn't mention it because as this is mainly British
readers we'd be less interested in doing so

I was once surprised to get 14 networks shown on a search from the top
of the ferry, on an old phone with 1800 MHz only. It wouldn't actually
log in to the Dutch ones though.

I don't think that you can log onto the French ones from the English
side as well.