Old September 28th 10, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern line lift at King's Cross

On 28 Sep, 07:58, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On 27 Sep, 21:39, Roland Perry wrote: When you enter the lift, are the escalators behind you, or are they
directly 'ahead' of you? Or to the side?

Behind you.

That is, behind you if you enter from "-3", ahead of you if you enter
from "-1".

Old September 28th 10, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
23:58:22 on Mon, 27 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
When you enter the lift, are the escalators behind you, or are they
directly 'ahead' of you? Or to the side?

Behind you.

So you've done a u-turn since going through the barriers, and are now
facing west...

If you go in from the ticket hall, turn
round and face the SAME way as the door you came in through.

So now you are facing east, which means the passage you are looking at
heads east (which is away from the original lifts, and toward
Pentonville Road).

and the opposite side to the exit at level "-3").

When the doors open on -3, are the majority of the platforms directly
ahead of you (ignoring any kinks in short connecting passages), or are
they 'behind' you?

Most of the platform is behind you (to your left and right). You are
facing the east end of the platforms, looking at the escalators
leading to the piccadilly line.

That's consistent; once again you are looking east (because the new lift
is at the eastern end of the platforms).

Unfortunately, in your original posting you said it was looking west

Old September 28th 10, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
23:56:45 on Mon, 27 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
On 27 Sep, 21:34, Roland Perry wrote:

That's plausible, but why is it tiled and lit like a public area,
rather than a rough finish like an emergency access passage?

I don't know. How long is the passage? I've asked some other questions,
tacked onto your initial posting.

The visible part is about as long as the eastern northern line
concourse.

I have no idea what that is (and therefore how long that is), sorry. For
example, are we talking more or less than the distance between the
platform faces?

At the end, does it disappear to the left, or the right?

Also, what would be the point of a passage connecting two lift shafts
together, when its already fairly easy to get between the lifts at
platform level, and surface level?

Perhaps one or other of the (upper/lower) access points to the emergency
lift will be obscured by some other of the current works. Although one
might imagine that the new public lift could entirely obsolete the
emergency one.

I still can't see why going up one lift half way, along a passage, and
then up the other lift, would ever be better than just going all the
way up one of the lifts?

Nor can I, but it was the best explanation we had, combined with a
general feeling that the expense of constructing these facilities
usually means there's a good reason for everything (even if we don't
immediately know what it is).

However, we now seem to have cleared up the confusion between "facing
the opposite way", and "turning round" (which at first sight are the
same activity)... and therefore the new passage would seem to head east
and not west. That is much more consistent with being a link to the
other new lifts which are on the reconstructed Pentonville Road passage,
and (if they also have a "secret doorway") would link all three of the
new deep lifts together for emergency purposes.
Old September 28th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Yes - the old KX Thameslink station's entrance on Pentonville Road is
still open these days albeit weekdays only between (IIRC) 7am and 8pm
(responsibility for it passed from FCC Thameslink to LU).

The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Surely one of the most annoying design features anywhere on the network - I
can think of few things which would do more to induce rage, were I in the
middle of a difficult journey, than huge lettering exhorting me to smile

:-)

Martin

Old September 28th 10, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Because ....?

Because, I assume (although it is not incredibly easy to read in that
photograph), the design on the inside of the tunnel is actually letering
that says "SMILE"

-roy

Old September 28th 10, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 Sep, 22:59, "Martin Rich" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

Yes - the old KX Thameslink station's entrance on Pentonville Road is
still open these days albeit weekdays only between (IIRC) 7am and 8pm
(responsibility for it passed from FCC Thameslink to LU).
The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Surely one of the most annoying design features anywhere on the network - I
can think of few things which would do more to induce rage, were I in the
middle of a difficult journey, than huge lettering exhorting me to smile

:-)

Martin

There's always the scrolling displays outside stations, that one only
ever gets to see when locked out due to disruption, saying "there is a
good service on all London Underground Lines".
Old September 28th 10, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roy Badami wrote on 28 September 2010 23:13:13 ...

The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Because ....?

Because, I assume (although it is not incredibly easy to read in that
photograph), the design on the inside of the tunnel is actually letering
that says "SMILE"

Oh, I see! I thought the splodges of colour were national flags or
something; didn't realise they were letters.
--
Richard J.
Old September 28th 10, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/09/10 00:04, Richard J. wrote:

Oh, I see! I thought the splodges of colour were national flags or
something; didn't realise they were letters.

Of course, that does invite the question: "why does the lettering say
'SMILE'?"

Perhaps it says 'SMILE' because this is the SMILE subway -- if so, we're
no closer to knowing why it's so called than before...

-roy

Old September 29th 10, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Sep, 00:10, Roy Badami wrote:
On 29/09/10 00:04, Richard J. wrote:

Oh, I see! I thought the splodges of colour were national flags or
something; didn't realise they were letters.

Of course, that does invite the question: "why does the lettering say
'SMILE'?"

Perhaps it says 'SMILE' because this is the SMILE subway -- if so, we're
no closer to knowing why it's so called than before...

South Midland Inner London Electrics
Old September 29th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 29, 12:04*am, "Richard J." wrote:

Roy Badami wrote on 28 September 2010 23:13:13 ...

The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Because ....?

Because, I assume (although it is not incredibly easy to read in that
photograph), the design on the inside of the tunnel is actually letering
that says "SMILE"

Oh, I see! *I thought the splodges of colour were national flags or
something; didn't realise they were letters.

And I thought you were asking me *why* it said "smile"!

There's a rather dark side to the passageway though, which doesn't
really match up with it's smiley façade.