Old October 12th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default District distress

On 12 Oct, 19:49, "Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

I agree about the speed issue, and seemingly nonsensical signal hold-
ups.

Why, for example, is the Eastbound District Line ALWAYS held up as it
approaches Earl's Court - from either the Wimbledon branch or from
West Kensington? There is no flat junction obstructing either entry.
There are also 2 platforms at Earl's Court, and rarely if ever does a
train from Wimbledon go into platform1 or a train from West Ken. go to
platform 2 (can't remember even if there are cross-overs allowing
this).

There is no route from the Wimbledon branch to platform 1 (according to
current Quail), but there is from West Ken to P2.

Paul S

But there is a route from Olympia to platform 1 (and 2). There's a
train currently arriving Earl's Court at 0712, for example.

Old October 12th 10, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

I agree about the speed issue, and seemingly nonsensical signal hold-
ups.

Why, for example, is the Eastbound District Line ALWAYS held up as it
approaches Earl's Court - from either the Wimbledon branch or from
West Kensington? There is no flat junction obstructing either entry.
There are also 2 platforms at Earl's Court, and rarely if ever does a
train from Wimbledon go into platform1 or a train from West Ken. go to
platform 2 (can't remember even if there are cross-overs allowing
this).

There is no route from the Wimbledon branch to platform 1 (according to
current Quail), but there is from West Ken to P2.

Paul S

But there is a route from Olympia to platform 1 (and 2). There's a
train currently arriving Earl's Court at 0712, for example.

I was really only intending to point out that a train from Wimbledon can't
reach platform 1. As you say ex-Olympia trains are another potential
conflict.

Paul S

Old October 13th 10, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote in message

I agree about the speed issue, and seemingly nonsensical signal hold-
ups.

Why, for example, is the Eastbound District Line ALWAYS held up as it
approaches Earl's Court - from either the Wimbledon branch or from
West Kensington? There is no flat junction obstructing either entry.
There are also 2 platforms at Earl's Court, and rarely if ever does a
train from Wimbledon go into platform1 or a train from West Ken. go to
platform 2 (can't remember even if there are cross-overs allowing
this).

There is no route from the Wimbledon branch to platform 1 (according to
current Quail), but there is from West Ken to P2.

Paul S

But there is a route from Olympia to platform 1 (and 2). *There's a
train currently arriving Earl's Court at 0712, for example.

And I should have said one leaving Earls Court at 0702 and crossing
all routes on the flat (given that from High Street Ken it's only
possible to get to platform 4, a departure to Olympia has to block
every track at some point, except the one from Wimbledon to platform
2).
Old October 13th 10, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for those helpful insights. So Olympia trains (to/from) have
the potential to block any line EXCEPT the line from Wimbledon into
platform 2, which has nothing obstructing it (except of course another
train in platform 2)?

M.M.

Old October 13th 10, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 13 Oct, 11:49, " wrote:
Thanks for those helpful insights. So Olympia trains (to/from) have
the potential to block any line EXCEPT the line from Wimbledon into
platform 2, which has nothing obstructing it (except of course another
train in platform 2)?

M.M.

Yes, basically. They have to start from platform 4, which they
occupy, and they have to cross to the track from platform 3 towards
either West Brompton or West Kensington, conflicting with anything
from platform 3. They duck under the track from West Brompton and
then cross the line from West Kensington on the flat.

Old October 14th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
" wrote:

I agree about the speed issue, and seemingly nonsensical signal hold-
ups.

This morning on a return journey from Dalston J to Temple the District
line driver decided he had to visit 'the smallest room in the house' at
Mansion House, explaining that we'd only be going slowly anyway.

At least the westbound indicators at Whitechapel were working.

But the ELL had a brainstorm - leaving Dalston we were told the next
stop was Norwood Junction, and then at Hoxton we were told this is
Dalston Junction, all change. After that it gave up. On the way back the
announcements and indicators were off.

E.