Old November 24th 10, 07:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BBC London News

In message
Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 23/11/2010 23:17, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 23, 10:52 pm, Arthur
wrote:

On 23/11/2010 13:35, Graham Harrison wrote:

This is true. Let's face it when some of us were younger we just headed
off and hoped. On the other hand we are where we are. Look at what
happened to Rolls Royce recently, the Trent on the Qantas Airbus blows.
RR put their head down to identify the problem and say nothing in the
meantime. What happens? Armchair experts and "the markets" all panic and
the share price drops. That's just an example of how we all react these
days. Bottom line seems to be that these days we assume no news is BAD
news.

And it often is.

Is it? (Not a cryptic question - but I'm probably just being dense and
missing your nuanced point.)

How often does someone announce bad news if they don't have to?

They usually wait until someone blows up New York before announcing it.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Old November 24th 10, 07:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 23/11/2010 13:23, Mizter T wrote:

I think they're well aware of the reach of their signal, particularly
w.r.t. travel news (for general news it's not unreasonable to expect
that listeners would turn to their local, home counties station

Do the BBC ever do much general news which is heavily slanted towards
things of interest in the home counties?

BBC London, BBC Solent, BBC Whatever broadcasts to Sussex and Kent, etc.

Old November 24th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme wrote in
:

In message

amogles wrote:

On 23 Nov., 13:00, Graeme wrote:

And that's what the broadcasters generally have to work from.

However, if information is cryptic and unclear, the least they can do
is grab the phone and clarify.

And just who do they phone? And when?

They phone the help desk in Delhi of course

But because the people who parrot the information don't actually
understand it, they don't notice how potentially confusing or
misleading it can be.

And it all gives an insight into how meticulous and trustworthy these
folks will be in their other reporting.

You mean you believe what you read in the papers?

Old November 24th 10, 12:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
14:46:04 on Tue, 23 Nov 2010, MIG
remarked:

I'd expect whoever organises the shipping forecast to know something
about shipping and weather,

I doubt they know anything about shipping. Just weather over the sea.

and I'd expect whoever organises London travel news to know something
about London and travel.

But that's much more of an issue, and you'd expect some personal
experience and local knowledge might creep in.
Old November 24th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2010 08:21, Graeme wrote:
In
wrote:

On Nov 23, 10:40 pm, Arthur
wrote:
On 23/11/2010 09:04, Chris Tolley wrote:

MIG wrote:

The newsreaders just keep on dumbly reading it out every half hour.
You'd think that the London travel newsroom would have some vague
idea about transport in London.

Would you? Why? Do you think it is a requirement for people who mention
London in the things they read out to be Londoners?

Could be interesting for the shipping forecast...

I'd expect whoever organises the shipping forecast to know something
about shipping and weather,

As far as the broadcast is concerned you don't have to know about either. It
is a set formula that hasn't been changed in 70 years or more.[1] The hard
bit is actually reading it! The organisation is done by the Met Office. By
analogy it is not unreasonable for the BBC to expect whover supplies the rail
information to apply the same dilligence to their reports.

[1] Apart from adding a couple more sea areas about 30 years ago.

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 24th 10, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23/11/2010 23:40, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 23, 11:00 pm, Arthur
wrote:

Do the BBC ever do much general news which is heavily slanted towards
things of interest in the home counties?

Er, pass.

It was just a chip-on-shoulder northern comment...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 24th 10, 07:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 24/11/2010 08:21, Graeme wrote:
In
wrote:

MIG wrote:

[...]

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

The big ships get it all via satellite, the service is now aimed at smaller
craft, mainly small merchant ships, pleasure craft and fishing boats.

Old November 24th 10, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme" wrote in message

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Vice Admiral Fitzroy - a pioneer of weather forecasting...

I have the book 'Attention All Shipping'...

Paul S

Old November 24th 10, 08:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2010 20:06, Graeme wrote:
In message1aednUdiPe99wnDRnZ2dnUVZ8qGdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk
Arthur wrote:

On 24/11/2010 08:21, Graeme wrote:
In
wrote:

MIG wrote:

[...]

Captain of HMS Beagle of Darwin fame, Met Office bigwig, eventually
topped himself. But without Googling, I couldn't say exactly what he did
at the Met Office - founded it, maybe? Perhaps most importantly, he
doesn't share a name with a Spanish sea area.

Of course the achievements of Mr C Lightvessel-Automatic are now largely
forgotten...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 24th 10, 08:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"Paul Scott" wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Vice Admiral Fitzroy - a pioneer of weather forecasting...

I have the book 'Attention All Shipping'...

And commander of the HMS Beagle with one Charles Darwin on board.

I have the book 'Fitzroy'...