Old November 24th 10, 08:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BBC London News

Paul Scott wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Vice Admiral Fitzroy - a pioneer of weather forecasting...

And, of course, Finisterre was the man who used to dance with Ginger
Rogers.

I'll get my top hat, tie up my white tie, and brush off my tails...

Old November 24th 10, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Offramp wrote:

Broadcasting House is constructed from papier-m?ch? made from chewed- up
diplomas in Art History, Marine Biology and Surf Studies.

ARCHITECTURE FACT.

tom

--
You have now found yourself trapped in an incomprehensible maze.
Old November 24th 10, 09:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Paul Ingerson wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Vice Admiral Fitzroy - a pioneer of weather forecasting...

And, of course, Finisterre was the man who used to dance with Ginger
Rogers.

I'll get my top hat, tie up my white tie, and brush off my tails...

Well, that went down a storm!

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old November 24th 10, 09:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

I've needed it while on board a sailing boat with nothing more
sophisticated than GPS, VHF, and an FM radio (well, and three smartphones
- all out of range of their networks). Alone, wedged against the tiller,
hunched over the endpaper of a novel in the freezing dead of night armed
only with a pencil and the ability to recognise 'Sailing By'.

Somewhere i have a nautical almanac with a grid designed for recording the
forecast - rows for the sea areas in the order they're read, columns for
the measurements in the order they're read. I think it was plastic, so you
could write on it with a marker pen, then wipe it clean before the next
broadcast.

tom

--
You have now found yourself trapped in an incomprehensible maze.
Old November 24th 10, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2010 20:06, Graeme wrote:
In message1aednUdiPe99wnDRnZ2dnUVZ8qGdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk
Arthur wrote:

There was Finisterre becoming FitzRoy.

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Captain of HMS Beagle of Darwin fame, Met Office bigwig, eventually
topped himself. But without Googling, I couldn't say exactly what he did
at the Met Office - founded it, maybe? Perhaps most importantly, he
doesn't share a name with a Spanish sea area.

Of course the achievements of Mr C Lightvessel-Automatic are now largely
forgotten...

!

tom

--
I think it would be a good idea -- Mohandas Gandhi, on Western
civilisation

Old November 24th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article . li,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

I've needed it while on board a sailing boat with nothing more
sophisticated than GPS, VHF, and an FM radio (well, and three smartphones
- all out of range of their networks). Alone, wedged against the tiller,
hunched over the endpaper of a novel in the freezing dead of night armed
only with a pencil and the ability to recognise 'Sailing By'.

If only Arthur Ransom were alive now.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old November 25th 10, 07:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

I've needed it while on board a sailing boat with nothing more
sophisticated than GPS, VHF, and an FM radio (well, and three smartphones
- all out of range of their networks). Alone, wedged against the tiller,
hunched over the endpaper of a novel in the freezing dead of night armed
only with a pencil and the ability to recognise 'Sailing By'.

If you'd had a radio capable of receiving LW, you wouldn't have had to
stay up so late.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632921.html
(40 088 at Crewe Locomotive Works scrap line, 1986)
Old November 25th 10, 05:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message Xq2dnVvfFN-DHXDRnZ2dnUVZ8v2dnZ2d@brightv
iew.co.uk, Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:14:10, Arthur Figgis
posted:

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Captain of HMS Beagle of Darwin fame, Met Office bigwig, eventually
topped himself. But without Googling, I couldn't say exactly what he
did at the Met Office - founded it, maybe?

You could Wikipede "Captain FitzRoy".

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old November 25th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25/11/2010 18:38, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london messageXq2dnVvfFN-DHXDRnZ2dnUVZ8v2dnZ2d@brightv
iew.co.uk, Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:14:10, Arthur Figgis
posted:

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Captain of HMS Beagle of Darwin fame, Met Office bigwig, eventually
topped himself. But without Googling, I couldn't say exactly what he
did at the Met Office - founded it, maybe?

You could Wikipede "Captain FitzRoy".

Aha - so he was a member of a popular beat combo, and is mentioned in
three episodes of The Simpsons (though one was apparently edited out of
the Serbo-Croat broadcasts). And there is a major controversy about how
to spell his name in Klingon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 27th 10, 01:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Chris Tolley wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Don't people who actually need it (rather than just like listening to
it) get it via a kind of on-ship fax gadget these days?

I've needed it while on board a sailing boat with nothing more
sophisticated than GPS, VHF, and an FM radio (well, and three smartphones
- all out of range of their networks). Alone, wedged against the tiller,
hunched over the endpaper of a novel in the freezing dead of night armed
only with a pencil and the ability to recognise 'Sailing By'.

If you'd had a radio capable of receiving LW, you wouldn't have had to
stay up so late.

I was going to be up late anyway. A sailing boat halfway up the channel is
not something you can just park so you can have a kip!

tom

--
Virtually everything you touch has been mined. -- Prof Keith Atkinson