Old December 3rd 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Long DLR Trains to Stratford

As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

Not entirely sure if this was down to diversions as a result of a
breakdown or a general move to increase capacity (due to so many
people diverting to DLR from troubled routes).

Old December 3rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 3, 7:49*pm, MIG wrote:
As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

Not entirely sure if this was down to diversions as a result of a
breakdown or a general move to increase capacity (due to so many
people diverting to DLR from troubled routes).

It's a permanent change - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/17547.aspx

Excerpt:
---quote---
Three-car trains increase capacity on DLR Stratford to Lewisham route

Three-car trains have been launched on the Docklands Light Railway
(DLR) from Stratford to Lewisham with the extra carriage increasing
capacity by 50 per cent for each train during the morning peak.
[...]
---/quote---

The following is in the notes to editors at the bottom:
---quote---
During the morning peak, every other train will run a three-car
configuration while in the evening and off peaks, the longer trains
will run according to demand.
---/quote---
Old December 3rd 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 3, 8:03*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:49:34 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

Not entirely sure if this was down to diversions as a result of a
breakdown or a general move to increase capacity (due to so many
people diverting to DLR from troubled routes).

It's a planned increase in capacity to deal with patronage growth.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/17547.aspx

Snap! ;-)
Old December 3rd 10, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

Not entirely sure if this was down to diversions as a result of a
breakdown or a general move to increase capacity (due to so many
people diverting to DLR from troubled routes).

It's a planned increase in capacity to deal with patronage growth.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/17547.aspx

Snap! ;-)

So neither of my options then ...

I just didn't notice till today. Also pretty sure that it doesn't
need to involve Lewisham, in that I saw a long one terminating at
Canary Wharf.

I wonder what "according to demand" means though? There's certainly
been a lot of demand for the DLR this week.
Old December 5th 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:49:34 -0800, MIG wrote:

As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

I don't think the Beckton branch has 3 car trains? A couple of the
stations (including Beckton itself) haven't been upgraded for longer
trains....

Old December 5th 10, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 5, 11:03*pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:49:34 -0800, MIG wrote:
As far as I know, only the Lewisham, Bank and Beckton branches get any
regular service with long trains, but today at least some services to
Stratford have been long.

I don't think the Beckton branch has 3 car trains? A couple of the
stations (including Beckton itself) haven't been upgraded for longer
trains....

Presumably they use SDO as at Cutty Sark?

The Beckton branch, at least as far as Gallions Reach in service, gets
regular long trains because of depot runs to/from both Bank and
Lewisham.
Old December 7th 10, 12:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 6, 6:15*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:08:23 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On Dec 3, 8:03 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

It's a planned increase in capacity to deal with patronage growth.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/17547.aspx

Snap! ;-)

I had hoped that I might get here first but it was not to be! *

I see on District Dave that two DLR trains were spotted on 4/12/10 in
the low level platforms at Canning Town. Looks like the very early
stages of testing on the new line may have commenced.

The DLR system map now includes the new line in the dashed 'to be open
soon' fashion as such (perhaps it has for ages but I haven't noticed
this till now):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/dlr-route-map.pdf

The potential for a degree of confusion at large seems rather likely
I'd say! I liked the poster on the DD forum who coined the phrase
'Canning Chase' as the game which pax at Canning Town could end up
playing when trying to position themselves on the right platform to
the catch the next Beckton or Woolwich (and LCY) bound train! Some
shades of Camden Town tube stn - something I'm sure I've mentioned
before. I hope the PIS is up to it (...'like trying to organise a PIS
up in a multi-platformed modal interchange'... er, I think that proto-
quip needs quite a bit of work before it might catch on...).
Old December 12th 10, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 3, 8:03*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:49*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Well, they are certainly running some long trains today (Sunday).
That's the first time I've noticed any at the weekend since the London
Marathon.

This may make someone happy. It's not obvious that there's any
special demand today, so maybe it's a normal Sunday thing. There
aren't any obvious parallel routes that are closed and might overload
the DLR (apart from much of the DLR being closed).

Long DLR Train Part 2 MIG London Transport 1 August 7th 10 01:42 PM
Stratford Regional-Stratford Intl on DLR Mark Morton London Transport 7 April 8th 10 04:31 PM
Long DLR Train MIG London Transport 40 February 27th 10 09:40 AM
TfL Board gives approval for next step for DLR Stratford extension Stevie London Transport 57 June 6th 05 11:08 AM
DLR or Jubilee line extension to Stratford International - two questions Bob Robinson London Transport 7 May 4th 04 11:43 PM