Old December 4th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Network Card on Standsted Express?

On 04/12/10 15:27, Bruce wrote:

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use. Until most
people decide to use some other spelling, of course.

No - that's just an excuse to justify the fact that lot of people are
sloppy or poorly educated.

--
Tim Watts

Old December 4th 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\12\04 15:27, Bruce wrote:

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use.

No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling, unlike the
English language which we all own.

I'm starting a campaign to change the spelling of "Cambridge" to
"Camebridge". That is what it sounds like, so that is eggsacktlee how
it should of been spelt.

We'll also have to change the name of the River Cam to "Came".

Is the river pronounced "came"?

IME it's pronounced "wet".

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old December 4th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:39:42 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 04/12/10 15:27, Bruce wrote:

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use. Until most
people decide to use some other spelling, of course.

No - that's just an excuse to justify the fact that lot of people are
sloppy or poorly educated.

Hear hear.

--
Frank Erskine
Old December 4th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\12\04 15:27, Bruce wrote:
Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use.

No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling, unlike the
English language which we all own.

I'm starting a campaign to change the spelling of "Cambridge" to
"Camebridge". That is what it sounds like, so that is eggsacktlee how
it should of been spelt.

We'll also have to change the name of the River Cam to "Came".

Is the river pronounced "came"?

It will be, soon. ;-)

Old December 4th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/12/10 15:27, Bruce wrote:

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use. Until most
people decide to use some other spelling, of course.

No - that's just an excuse to justify the fact that lot of people are
sloppy or poorly educated.

You didn't spot the irony?

Whoosh!!!!

Old December 4th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling

Disagree entirely. No matter how many times the Murdoch-owned weekly
broadsheet refers to itself self-importantly as The Sunday Times, I
shall continue to call it the Sunday Times. Gap might offer cheap
clothes for "holiday", but I'd always call it a "Christmas sale".
British Midland might capitalise its low-cost offspring ridiculously;
I call it BMI Baby.

And so on. Up-themselves marketing departments are not the sole
arbiters of spelling and orthography about their own institutions, no
matter how much they might like to be.

Richard
Old December 4th 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:29:12 -0800 (PST), Richard Fairhurst put finger to
keyboard and typed:

Basil Jet wrote:
No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling

Disagree entirely. No matter how many times the Murdoch-owned weekly
broadsheet refers to itself self-importantly as The Sunday Times, I
shall continue to call it the Sunday Times. Gap might offer cheap
clothes for "holiday", but I'd always call it a "Christmas sale".
British Midland might capitalise its low-cost offspring ridiculously;
I call it BMI Baby.

You don't, however, refer to the Sudnay Times, a Christmas sail or BMI
Booby. You are entitled to insist that people spell your name as Richard,
not Ricard or Ritchard. There is a right and wrong spelling of all of
these, and the ones you normally use are the right ones. Capitalisation is
an entirely separate matter.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
Old December 4th 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Dec 4, 3:34*pm, Basil Jet wrote:

No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling, unlike the
English language which we all own.

Stansted Airport is an airport located near a village called Stansted
(Mountfitchet), with that spelling. Arguably the people who live
there get to define what the village is called, and the airport's name
derives from that...

Neil
Old December 4th 10, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mark Goodge wrote:
You don't, however, refer to the Sudnay Times, a Christmas sail or BMI
Booby.

Oh, I think I could manage the latter after they once managed to
deposit me at East Midlands Airport after the last bus had gone...

You are entitled to insist that people spell your name as Richard,
not Ricard or Ritchard. There is a right and wrong spelling of all of
these, and the ones you normally use are the right ones. Capitalisation is
an entirely separate matter.

I raise you one Whittlesea.

But yes, it's an interesting one. I'm not sure how I'd gloss the NAACP
for a British English-speaking audience.

Richard
Old December 4th 10, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Bruce writes:

We'll also have to change the name of the River Cam to "Came". Well,
spellings come and go, so this one Came and went. ;-)

Not forgetting the river Temms