Old December 4th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Network Card on Standsted Express?

Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

-roy

Old December 4th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Dec 4, 12:33*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:
Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

* * -roy

It's not valid for Stansted Express special online fares - that's the
only oddity about it.
Old December 4th 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Dec 4, 12:33*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:
Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

I don't remember any such discussion. I think the Network (Rail)Card
has always been valid on Stansted Express (when it began it was very
much an NSE branded and operated service, unlike GatEx which was
Intercity).

It's only fairly recently that HEx have started giving discounts to
Network Railcard holders - GatEx meanwhile doesn't offer a discount
for Network Railcards at all (so get the Southern or FCC service
instead, but bear in mind the £13 weekday minimum fare).
Old December 4th 10, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

(Roy Badami) wrote:
Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

If you use "Standsted" often enough, how soon do you think you can
persuade the airport to change the spelling?

Old December 4th 10, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
wrote:
It's not valid for Stansted Express special online fares - that's the
only oddity about it.

Thanks - must have imagined it then.

So, the particular case in point: if I have a ticket from Cambridge to
London Terminals, routed 'NXEA only' and discounted with a Network
Card, can I travel Cambridge to Bishop's Stortford and then pick up
the Stansted Express there to Liverpool St?

By the sound of it the answer is 'yes'?

-roy

Old December 4th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Mizter T wrote:

I don't remember any such discussion. I think the Network (Rail)Card
has always been valid on Stansted Express (when it began it was very
much an NSE branded and operated service, unlike GatEx which was
Intercity).

Thanks - maybe I'm confusing it with a discussion of Gatwick Express then.

It's only fairly recently that HEx have started giving discounts to
Network Railcard holders - GatEx meanwhile doesn't offer a discount
for Network Railcards at all (so get the Southern or FCC service
instead, but bear in mind the £13 weekday minimum fare).

Ah, I didn't realise that HEX had any discounts - interesting.

Cheers,

-roy

Old December 4th 10, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Dec 4, 12:55*pm, Bruce wrote:

(Roy Badami) wrote:
Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

If you use "Standsted" often enough, how soon do you think you can
persuade the airport to change the spelling?

I think Stanstead is winning - dunno where Standstead is though.

(I dare say though don't know that in ye days of olde it was spelt in
all manner of ways - the place that is, not the airport!)
Old December 4th 10, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Dec 4, 12:56*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:

wrote:
It's not valid for Stansted Express special online fares - that's the
only oddity about it.

Thanks - must have imagined it then.

So, the particular case in point: if I have a ticket from Cambridge to
London Terminals, routed 'NXEA only' and discounted with a Network
Card, can I travel Cambridge to Bishop's Stortford and then pick up
the Stansted Express there to Liverpool St?

By the sound of it the answer is 'yes'?

I reckon so - from Bishop's Stortford to Liverpool Street, the StEx is
in fares terms a regular NXEA service I think (though note that from
Liv St it's pick-up only at Tottenham Hale, even though I think plenty
of people use it for that journey anyway!).
Old December 4th 10, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:
On Dec 4, 12:55*pm, Bruce wrote:
(Roy Badami) wrote:
Do I misremember that there was a discussion here (one of
uk.transport.london or uk.railway -- x-posting to both) in which it
was suggested that the Network Card is not valid on Stansted Express?

This page seems to suggest it is valid:

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/Ticke...hrailcard.html

Has this changed, is that page wrong, or did I just imagine the whole
discussion?

If you use "Standsted" often enough, how soon do you think you can
persuade the airport to change the spelling?

I think Stanstead is winning - dunno where Standstead is though.

(I dare say though don't know that in ye days of olde it was spelt in
all manner of ways - the place that is, not the airport!)

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use. Until most
people decide to use some other spelling, of course.

I'm starting a campaign to change the spelling of "Cambridge" to
"Camebridge". That is what it sounds like, so that is eggsacktlee how
it should of been spelt.

We'll also have to change the name of the River Cam to "Came". Well,
spellings come and go, so this one Came and went. ;-)

Old December 4th 10, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2010\12\04 15:27, Bruce wrote:

Language evolves, Mizter T. We shouldn't talk about a spelling being
right or wrong, it should be whatever most people use.

No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling, unlike the
English language which we all own.

I'm starting a campaign to change the spelling of "Cambridge" to
"Camebridge". That is what it sounds like, so that is eggsacktlee how
it should of been spelt.

We'll also have to change the name of the River Cam to "Came".

Is the river pronounced "came"?