Old December 7th 10, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Oyster Card barrier blunders cost passengers £60m a year"

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2010...-blunders.html

Ian

Old December 7th 10, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Oyster Card barrier blunders cost passengers £60m a

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:39:50 -0000
"Ian F." wrote:
http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2010...60m-year-passe
gers-barrier-blunders.html

Well thats deliberate. In any sane system the exit gates wouldn't open for
you if you hadn't touched in so you'd have to go to the excess fares window
and find out why. The fact that they do means TfL are quite happy to collect
the extra revenue knowing most people either won't spot it or can't be
bothered with the fuss of claiming the money back.

B2003

Old December 7th 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 7, 12:46*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:39:50 -0000

"Ian F." wrote:
http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2010...kim-%C2%A360m-...
gers-barrier-blunders.html

Well thats deliberate. In any sane system the exit gates wouldn't *open for
you if you hadn't touched in so you'd have to go to the excess fares window
and find out why. The fact that they do means TfL are quite happy to collect
the extra revenue knowing most people either won't spot it or can't be
bothered with the fuss of claiming the money back.

B2003

They are also happy to collect the extra revenue that accrues during a
period of disruption, where passengers have to make alternative
arrangements. Last week I made a post about a journey from Central
London to Tottenham Hale when Tottenham Hale was closed due to the
tube strike. Passengers were advised to alight at Seven Sisters and
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at Seven
Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra fare.
Old December 7th 10, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Oyster Card barrier blunders cost passengers £

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:36:51 -0800 (PST)
Paul wrote:
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at Seven
Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra fare.

Yes, it does make me laugh when i hear "buses are accepting tickets" being
mentioned by official channels. Since when does a bus NOT accept an Oyster
or travelcard?

I'd also just love someone at TfL to explain why flat fares are ok for the
buses but not the tube. I suspect I'll never get a sensible answer to that
one.

B2003

Old December 7th 10, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at
Seven Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra
fare.

Yes, it does make me laugh when i hear "buses are accepting tickets"
being mentioned by official channels. Since when does a bus NOT
accept an Oyster or travelcard?

I'd also just love someone at TfL to explain why flat fares are ok
for the buses but not the tube. I suspect I'll never get a sensible
answer to that one.

Because most bus routes are relatively short, and most bus journeys
shorter still (as progress is so slow). You can go short or long
distances on the Tube -- would you prefer it if every Tube journey,
however short, cost £2.50 on Oyster, or £3.50 in cash?

Old December 7th 10, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at Seven
Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra fare.

Yes, it does make me laugh when i hear "buses are accepting tickets" being
mentioned by official channels. Since when does a bus NOT accept an Oyster
or travelcard?

I'd also just love someone at TfL to explain why flat fares are ok for the
buses but not the tube. I suspect I'll never get a sensible answer to that
one.

B2003

But surely, in those circumstances, where Oyster pay as you go is
being used, it is important NOT to swipe the card on the bus, in just
the same way that when I am transferred from a short-running bus to
the one behind, I NEVER swipe my card. Nobody has yet questioned my
refusal!

Marc.
Old December 7th 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

*wrote:
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at Seven
Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra fare.

Yes, it does make me laugh when i hear "buses are accepting tickets" being
mentioned by official channels. Since when does a bus NOT accept an Oyster
or travelcard?

Buses don't normally accept rail-based transport tickets, but they do
during disruption. The drivers don't always seem to get told, but
usually take the hint when a huge number of ticket-waving passengers
show up at once saying the same thing.

The signs on buses saying something to the effect of "valid tickets
accepted" do puzzle me.

I'd also just love someone at TfL to explain why flat fares are ok for the
buses but not the tube. I suspect I'll never get a sensible answer to that
one.

I'm not from TfL, but possible reasons are longer journey possibilities
on the Underground (give or take the X26 bus), inter-availability with
National Rail, and demand management - it is worth encouraging people
not to use the Underground for short trips (eg in Zone 1) if they don't
need to.

But there is no such thing as an LU ticket unless someone has been
ripped off for the cash fare.

So you either pay £4 and get the bus for free, or you pay £1.80 and
get the bus for £1.20.

Unless all buses charge £0 PAYG during LU disruption?
Old December 8th 10, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes

Because most bus routes are relatively short, and most bus journeys
shorter still (as progress is so slow). You can go short or long
distances on the Tube -- would you prefer it if every Tube journey,
however short, cost £2.50 on Oyster, or £3.50 in cash?

That would be quite a bargain for some, given that the minimum cash fare
in Zone 1 is already £4

In reality, for a flat fare on the tube to generate the same total
income as zonal fares, there would need to be a huge rise in the cost of
short journeys and a dramatic fall in the cost of long journeys. The
latter would cause a huge shift from NR to the tube for long commutes,
as the tube would become significantly cheaper, even if a little slower.
This in turn would have disastrous implications for passengers living
closer to the centre, who would find trains already loaded to capacity
when they arrived.

This doesn't happen with buses, of course, because of the shorter routes
and slow journey times.
--
Paul Terry
Old December 8th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 10:23:19 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:
But surely, in those circumstances, where Oyster pay as you go is
being used, it is important NOT to swipe the card on the bus, in just
the same way that when I am transferred from a short-running bus to
the one behind, I NEVER swipe my card. Nobody has yet questioned my
refusal!

Well your lucky then. On the odd occasions when I use a bus the driver is
always carefully watching to make sure everyone does swipe. In fact I'd
suggest its easier to dodge the fare on the tube than on a bus using the
old follow someone closely through the gate trick.

B2003