Old December 29th 10, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default What was an HST doing in Barnes?

"Graham Harrison" wrote

Reading is closed. What you saw was a divert from the west country.
Normal route to Westbury then reverse and down to Salisbury, Basingstoke,
Addlestone, Brentford to get in to the "correct" side of Waterloo. Going
back they use Richmond instead of Barnes. From Bristol/Swansea they
route to Oxford, Banbury (reverse) then down through High Wycombe to
Paddington

also bridge works where the Brighton Main Line crosses the South Western
Main Line means that capacity on the SWML has been limited, and the FGW
diversions have to come in on the Windsor Lines.

Peter

Old December 29th 10, 03:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 02:38:00 -0800 (PST)

Strictly speaking Barnes bridge is going north west , but I can't
figure out what sort of convoluted route would take it through the leafy
lines around Barnes to go north of the river presumably at some point to
head
south of the river again. Gauging issues perhaps with the Mk3's?

HSTs (rather than Mk3 coaches) are only cleared into platforms 17, 18 and
19. As this is a subset of the platforms allowing Mk3 coaches, the
suspicion is that it's the power cars themselves that are the critical issue
for gauging.

Once you've decided those platforms are to be used, an approach via the
Windsor lines is apparently less disruptive to other mainline services, and
there has also been limited track capacity via Surbiton these last couple of
days due to engineering work. Lastly, the HSTs are not yet cleared on the
SW main line east of Byfleet Junction.

Paul S

Old December 29th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:08:55 -0000, Graham Harrison
wrote:
Reading is closed. What you saw was a divert from the west country.
... From Bristol/Swansea they route to Oxford, Banbury (reverse)then
down through High Wycombe to Paddington.

Are you sure about this last bit? I was hoping they'd use the single line
alongside the Central Line through Park Royal, but I was told they were
going to/from Marylebone. Another option would be the Greenford branch,
especially as all trains on that line have been cancelled for the week.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old December 29th 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

newsp.vohv2ihrby8eno@sheepdog...
wrote:
Reading is closed. What you saw was a divert from the west country.
... From Bristol/Swansea they route to Oxford, Banbury (reverse)then
down through High Wycombe to Paddington.

Are you sure about this last bit? I was hoping they'd use the single line
alongside the Central Line through Park Royal, but I was told they were
going to/from Marylebone. Another option would be the Greenford branch,
especially as all trains on that line have been cancelled for the week.

Colin McKenzie

The Bristol/Swanseas are going to Paddington (it's in the Nat Rail Journey
Planner) . Some use the single, others the Greenford loop.

Old December 29th 10, 09:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Graham Harrison wrote:

wrote in message

On bank holiday monday I saw a full length HST trundle through Barnes
station going north. What would it have been doing on Southern region?

Reading is closed. What you saw was a divert from the west country.
Normal route to Westbury then reverse and down to Salisbury,
Basingstoke, Addlestone, Brentford to get in to the "correct" side of
Waterloo. Going back they use Richmond instead of Barnes. From
Bristol/Swansea they route to Oxford, Banbury (reverse) then down
through High Wycombe to Paddington

I can confirm that - i did it this evening. In case it's not obvious (it
wasn't to me until we did it!) the High Wycombe to Paddington bit is via
the New North Main Line (ie past Northolt) and the Greenford Loop. About
two and a half hours from Swindon to London; might have been quite scenic
during daylight hours.

While we're vaguely on the subject, has there ever been a plan to connect
Bicester Town station to the Chiltern main line? It'd make for a much more
convenient diversionary route than Banbury.

tom

--
SCIIIIIEEEEEEEENNNNNNCCCCCCCE!!!
Old December 29th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...

While we're vaguely on the subject, has there ever been a plan to connect
Bicester Town station to the Chiltern main line? It'd make for a much more
convenient diversionary route than Banbury.

Er... yes, it's the main part of Chiltern's Evergreen 3 project, they are
currently upgrading the route from Marylebone to Aynho Junction, but the
main part, connecting to Oxford, is yet to start.

It is going through TWA Order procedures; right now it is at the public
inquiry stage. There's a pretty detailed web site for the project he

http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk...oject-overview

Paul S