Old February 7th 11, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Balham to Richmond - nothing sensible running!

On Feb 7, 7:04*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:39:11 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

I think changing
at Leicester Square may be easier, because Vic to Picc at Green Park is
a notorious schlep, and the Vic is less than reliable at the mo.

Leicester Square can be a horrible interchange if you choose the wrong
passageway.

The easiest way to do Vic to Picc at Green Park is via the ticket hall -
probably best to avoid peak times though! I will get shot for saying it
but I did this when I was returning from Heathrow in early Jan. I had
guessed from some data I'd scribbled down that I could just catch the
first Vic at Green Park rather than have a 20 min wait at Kings Cross. I
simply wheeled my luggage to the up Picc escalator, crossed the ticket
hall and then down the Vic Line one and made my connection just as the
Vic Line train arrived. No stairs either. I don't think I'd have managed
it if I'd tried the lower level corridor.

....but ...but... that's not what Journey Planner says! ;-)

Old February 7th 11, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote on 07 February 2011 19:04:16 ...
wrote:

[...]

I've been telling people about that route for some time on TripAdvisor,
so the tourists are gradually being trained. Of course it helped you
that the Piccadilly timetable is so slack that the trains invariably run
early.
--
Richard J.
Old February 8th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 12:17:58AM -0000, Ian F. wrote:
Why do South West Trains and Londons Underground and Overground have to have
nothing running on the one route I need - to get from Balham to Richmond
tomorrow lunchtime?

Balham to Clapham Junction, then a replacement bus to Richmond then train to
Kew Gardens (my actual destination) seems the only option without a
four-change journey by tube via Stockwell, Green Park and Hammersmith.

That journey is always going to suck. London's public transport is
overwhelmingly predicated on people travelling between the centre and
the outskirts, rather than from one part of the outskirts to another.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way