Old February 20th 11, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mercedes Black Cabs

Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:03*pm, Adrian wrote:
"Graham Harrison" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I saw a Mercedes (Vito?) based black cab today. * I've seen a couple
previously but a thought occurred today. * I have this recollection
that, at some point in the past, one of the requirements for a black cab
was a minimum turning circle and that was a part of the reason why we
had unique vehicles. * Was I dreaming and have they changed the
requirement?

No, you weren't dreaming. No, they haven't changed the requirements.

The Merc Vito "black cabs" have rear-wheel steering to enable them to
meet that particular requirement.

http://www.randle.co.uk/clients/One80_1.html
The video's worth watching...

They still don't look quite right though - I think I'd feel a bit
short changed if I got one! That said, a single company having a
stranglehold of the supply of vehicles which complied with the Hackney
carriage spec was hardly an ideal situation.

A relative runs a black cab business in London and had a Vito Taxi on
trial for a month last year. He was very happy with it, particularly
when it came to carrying people in wheelchairs, something the Fairway
(traditional black cab) is very weak at. He said it was also
particularly comfortable for the driver, which is not something that
anyone could truthfully claim of the Fairway.

But his regular customers didn't like the Vito, and neither did the
drivers he employs, probably because it was unfamiliar to them and the
drivers probably needed some time to get used to it.

Prior to the Vito, there wasn't always a monopoly on supply of black
cabs. There was also the Metrocab which I think was originally made
by Metro-Cammell of railway carriage fame, starting in 1987. The
company had several subsequent owners and they finally closed the
factory doors as late as 2006. My cousin had one for three years in
the 1990s and loved it, but when he wanted to replace it there had
been a hiatus in production and he had to go for a TX4, now called
Fairway.

The cab he would really like to drive is the Fiat EuroCab, which is
also available here as a Peugeot (same design, different badge).
Sadly, while it is an excellent design that is approved for taxi use
across most of Europe, it doesn't comply with the requirements of the
Public Carriage Office. :-(

Old February 20th 11, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/02/2011 22:05, Bruce wrote:
Mizter wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:03 pm, wrote:
"Graham gurgled
[...]

Is there any noticeable difference in petrol costs?
Old February 20th 11, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ()
wrote:

On 20/02/2011 22:05, Bruce wrote:
Mizter wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:03 pm, wrote:
"Graham gurgled
[...]

None at all. They don't use petrol. They run on diesel.

HTH, HAND, etc

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 21st 11, 02:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\02\20 23:49, wrote:

Is there any noticeable difference in petrol costs?

The Vito uses less diesel, because it weighs less. If you ever choose to
take part in a head-on collision experiment between a Vito and a TX4,
choose to drive the TX4.
Old February 21st 11, 03:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\02\21 03:39, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\02\20 23:49, wrote:

Is there any noticeable difference in petrol costs?

The Vito uses less diesel, because it weighs less. If you ever choose to
take part in a head-on collision experiment between a Vito and a TX4,
choose to drive the TX4.

Although I've just found someone saying that the Vito is heavier than
the TX4, so... just ignore me

Old February 21st 11, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

If you ever choose to
take part in a head-on collision experiment between a Vito and a TX4,
choose to drive the TX4.

My unequivocal choice would be to drive the Vito.

Mercedes-Benz has always been at the forefront of passenger safety*.
The Vito, which is sold as a passenger vehicle under the Viana name,
gets very good ratings in Euro NCAP crash tests.

Meanwhile, the TX4/Fairway has never had a Euro NCAP test.

* The current main Euro NCAP test requirements for oblique frontal
impact are taken directly from the design criteria for the
Mercedes-Benz W124 E Class first introduced in 1983. Every
Mercedes-Benz model introduced since 1983 has achieved the equivalent
of a five-star Euro NCAP result in that impact test.

Mercedes-Benz cars also have to withstand the same oblique *rear*
impact, a requirement that Euro NCAP has yet to adopt. This
meticulous approach to passenger safety is one of many reasons why my
last four cars have all been Mercedes-Benz.

Old February 21st 11, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:
On 20/02/2011 22:05, Bruce wrote:
Mizter wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:03 pm, wrote:
"Graham gurgled
[...]

Yes, it uses significantly less fuel than its competitor. Vito Taxi
users are quoting a 15-20% reduction in fuel consumption.

Mercedes-Benz is a world leader in automotive diesel technology. The
four cylinder 2.2 litre turbo diesel engine in the Vito Taxi is almost
identical to the engine that is fitted to some Mercedes-Benz C Class
and E Class models where it returns well over 40 mpg.

Let's not forget that Mercedes-Benz cars are used as taxis all over
mainland Europe and beyond, and have been for over half a century.

Old February 21st 11, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:49:24 +0000
Bruce wrote:
Let's not forget that Mercedes-Benz cars are used as taxis all over
mainland Europe and beyond, and have been for over half a century.

The only reason they're not used here is the silly rules required for
taxis which effectively gave LTI a near monopoly for decades. Its the same
in new york except there whatever the rules are , they don't seem to take
utility into account as anyone who's been squeezed into the reverse tardises
they use can attest to.

Frankly I'd sooner have an accident in a normal car than the prehistoric
bus that LTI churn out and since minicab firms use standard cars quite
succesfully theres no argument for them not to be used by black cab drivers.

B2003

Old February 21st 11, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Mercedes-Benz is a world leader in automotive diesel technology.

Do you need to declare a professional involvement, Bruce? You're looking
awfully astroturfy.