Old December 11th 03, 02:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Black cabs

Simple question!
Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?
TIA
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.

Old December 11th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
Simple question!
Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?
TIA
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with

it.

Aren't they allowed to refuse anyone who has not already got into the cab
regardless
of reason?

DFF

Old December 11th 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Kat
writes
Simple question!
Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?
TIA

cheeky answer
only if they're blind drunk

serious answer
They can only refuse to take a blind passenger for the same reasons that
they may refuse any other passenger. Some examples a
Journey too long (more than 12 miles or 1 hour in London) or outside the
cab's licence area.
Passenger not 'reasonable'. Difficult to prove but examples would be
totally drunk and near enough incapable or abusive to the point of being
aggressive.

A cab driver cannot refuse to take a blind person's dog, except on
medical grounds - for example if the driver is allergic to dog hair -
and s/he would need to have confirmation of this from a doctor

Personally if I see a blind person I always give them preference over
other potential passengers, and will often waive the fare.

If this is an actual case then every effort should be made to find the
driver responsible and get him/her reported. People like that don't
deserve to be in the trade.

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
A *licensed* Brighton (and soon to be London) Taxi driver
Old December 11th 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Kat
writes

Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?

If this is an actual case then every effort
should be made to find the
driver responsible and get him/her reported.

This thread reads oddly because no-one has mentioned the cab driver's motive
for refusing. I don't know the details, but some or all disabled people have
some kind of card that gives them free or cheap cab travel. I don't know if
the driver is subsequently recompensed for his time and fuel by the Public
Carriage Office. Thus would be the real reason the driver refused - he is of
course breaking the rules, but you can see his reason.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 11th 03, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mike Hughes
writes

Personally if I see a blind person I always give them preference over
other potential passengers, and will often waive the fare.

Remind me to bring my mate Matthew to Brighton with me next week. A free
trip home to High Wycombe in your taxi will be so much nicer for us than
waiting for the train and having to pay for a ticket....... :-))))))
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old December 12th 03, 03:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Kat
writes

Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?

If this is an actual case then every effort
should be made to find the
driver responsible and get him/her reported.

This thread reads oddly because no-one has mentioned the cab driver's motive
for refusing. I don't know the details, but some or all disabled people have
some kind of card that gives them free or cheap cab travel. I don't know if
the driver is subsequently recompensed for his time and fuel by the Public
Carriage Office. Thus would be the real reason the driver refused - he is of
course breaking the rules, but you can see his reason.

OK, to answer all who have replied in one go, here's the full story.

I met two blind people, who were meeting each other, from trains on
Wednesday evening and escorted them from the station. They asked me if I
could find them a cab. No problem there because there's a rank right
outside. Unusually for evening peak there were four cabs waiting so I
took them to the first one (which is the way I think it works)
The driver had his doors locked but eventually opened the window and
spoke to me. I told him the destination (a local road) but he refused to
take them unless I was going too.
I then took the couple to the third cab (no driver in the second) who
told me I should take them to the first.
I explained the situation and he took them but said he couldn't
understand why the first had refused.
And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought to do
anything about it or not.
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.

Old December 12th 03, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Kat
writes

And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought to do
anything about it or not.
--

Yes you should. That is discrimination of the worst kind. Assuming the
passengers were not drunk or aggressive, had a vicious dog with them or

Cabbies have a good reputation generally - this guy needs to be reminded
of his rules.
Old December 12th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:46:39 +0000 Kat
said...

The driver had his doors locked but eventually opened the window and
spoke to me. I told him the destination (a local road) but he refused to
take them unless I was going too.
I then took the couple to the third cab (no driver in the second) who
told me I should take them to the first.
I explained the situation and he took them but said he couldn't
understand why the first had refused.
And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought to do
anything about it or not.

I know it's probably too late, but did you get the number of the 3rd taxi
who directed you back to the 1st one as a possible witness to the event?
I suppose his motive for not taking them was because he could be accused
of jumping the queue so to speak.

As others have suggested I would report the event, is it possible to get
your employer (LUL or a TOC?) to do it on your behalf as you were on duty
at the time?

Did the blind passengers managed to get to their destination without any
further problem?

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old December 12th 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Cabbies have a good reputation generally - this guy needs to be reminded
of his rules.

Cabbies refusing to take people to quite valid destinations is not uncommon.
I used to regularly get a cab from Wimbledon to Brixton in the evening. 25%
of the time the driver would refuse, and half of the rest wouldn't take the
quickest/shortest/cheapest route.

Of course I never had any problems going into central London where the
cabbie thought he'd get another fare quickly.

Dave.

Old December 12th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Phil Richards wrote the following
in:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:46:39 +0000 Kat
said...

The driver had his doors locked but eventually opened the window
and spoke to me. I told him the destination (a local road) but he
refused to take them unless I was going too.
I then took the couple to the third cab (no driver in the second)
who told me I should take them to the first.
I explained the situation and he took them but said he couldn't
understand why the first had refused.
And yes, I did take the guy's number but I'm not sure if I ought
to do anything about it or not.

I know it's probably too late, but did you get the number of the
3rd taxi who directed you back to the 1st one as a possible
witness to the event? I suppose his motive for not taking them was
because he could be accused of jumping the queue so to speak.

The way I read it, the third taxi did take them after the situation had
been explained.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Another high quality lesson from Robin May:
Your and you're are different words!