Old February 25th 11, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC: Doors opened on moving Victoria Line Tube near Brixton

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 04:43:07PM -0000, Recliner wrote:

Probably more a case of the journos asking, "Were you terrified?", and
the pax mumbling something unintelligible. Or they just ask enough
people till one of them agrees they were indeed terrified (anything to
get their name in the paper, not that the ES even did that).

According to the Substandard, it was at 18:30, during the evening peak.
If I was one of the poor sods jammed up against the doors I'd be
somewhat more than "mildly perturbed"!

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE

Old February 25th 11, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes

According to the Substandard, it was at 18:30, during the evening peak.
If I was one of the poor sods jammed up against the doors I'd be
somewhat more than "mildly perturbed"!

Luckily there's seldom anyone still jammed up against the doors by the
time a southbound Victoria line approaches Brixton. But the consequences
could have been horrendous if it had happened further up the line.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 25th 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote on 25 February 2011 09:51:22 ...
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:07:05 +0000
"Richard wrote:
Presumably this is true for more modern stocks, which force you to wait
seconds while the nanny electronics works out whether you've actually
stopped. It's one of the pleasures of the Paris Métro to be able to
alight before the train stops (on some lines anyway) - quite like old times.

I tend to score most elf-n-softie legislation, but I have to say that allowing
people to get off a train while its still moving is a bit dodgy IMO. If
you slip and your leg goes between train and platform you're in deep ****.
With a routemaster its not so bad since you fall off you land in the road,
end of - and hopefully a following vehicle doesn't run you over , but with
a train it won't stop and you have a good chance of losing a limb.

I'm surprised that you of all people take such a nannyish line. The
train is about to stop anyway, the action of opening the door is
passenger-initiated, and nearly all Paris Metro platforms are straight.
The risk is minimal, no more dangerous than getting on or off a moving
escalator or stepping off a kerb.

Or in the case of slam door stock being whacked from behind by a door
opened by someone else.

I always alighted from the front door of an HST carriage in the old
days, as I reckoned there was a significant risk of being hit by your
own door if you used the rear door as the doors are so wide. Slam door
stock is a different order of risk.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever been on a D- or C-stock District
train that has opened its doors to enable me to alight while it was
still moving.
--
Richard J.
Old February 28th 11, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:48:58 +0000
"Richard J." wrote:
I tend to score most elf-n-softie legislation, but I have to say that

allowing
people to get off a train while its still moving is a bit dodgy IMO. If
you slip and your leg goes between train and platform you're in deep ****.
With a routemaster its not so bad since you fall off you land in the road,
end of - and hopefully a following vehicle doesn't run you over , but with
a train it won't stop and you have a good chance of losing a limb.

I'm surprised that you of all people take such a nannyish line. The
train is about to stop anyway, the action of opening the door is
passenger-initiated, and nearly all Paris Metro platforms are straight.
The risk is minimal, no more dangerous than getting on or off a moving
escalator or stepping off a kerb.

A few years back I ran to catch a train at City Thameslink. The floor was
wet, I slipped over and before I knew it one of my legs had gone down between
the train and platform. Luckily the train wasn't moving but I guess it just
made me more aware of how quickly accidents can happen on the railway.

B2003