Old March 13th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

On Mar 4, 11:07*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:34:44 +0000
Tom Anderson wrote:
Specifically, i think it's that there isn't room for a double track
bearing freight trains with overhead. Freight trains being taller than
passenger trains (passenger trains all fit in W6A in this country, i
believe; squinting at a map from 2004, it looks like the Canonbury curve
might be W9).

I don't think its the height so much as the profile. Passenger trains
curve in towards the top whereas container freight wagons are a box
shape which tend not to work in tunnels where the curved roof would cut
in on the boxy corners.

Iggsacktly, they're taller at the edges!

Could hack a bit out of each side of the tunnel, as at Crown Street!

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l...t/index4.shtml

Old March 19th 11, 06:41 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 4, 2:02*am, peter wrote:
To move away from the esoteric discussions of the Cannonbury curve ...

Is there now a case for reinstaing the Great Northern service to
Moorgate at evenings/weekends? *Highbury is a far easier connection to
the tube than Kings Cross, and with connections now to SE London as
well it is surely would be useful to many more people.

Most of the stations along the line are already staffed during tube
hours, so I can't see that there would be a great deal of cost. *Essex
Road may have to remain closed. *As for Drayton Park, its not
underground and *FCC don't seem to be adverse to serving unstaffed
stations eleswhere. *There may have to be special arrangements when
Arsenal are playing at home.

I am not an expert in these matters- there may be issues I haven't
thought about. *But as a customer I know which I'd prefer.

Back in the 1970s, when the GNCL and GN where electrified, the service
was good and well utilized. The travelling public found it very
convenient. The interchange with the Victoria Line meant that folks
could reach the inner GN Suburbs sans the battle at Kings Cross. I
never could understand why the service level was reduced.

Old March 21st 11, 10:52 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Is there now a case for reinstaing the Great Northern service to
Moorgate at evenings/weekends? Highbury is a far easier connection to
the tube than Kings Cross, and with connections now to SE London as
well it is surely would be useful to many more people.

I would certainly think there is such a case. I posted such a comment a
month or two ago.

If nothing else the interchange between the Northern City line and the
Victoria Line is a lot better at H&I than
it is at Finsbury park

Perhaps they should put it back on the tube map as well - the map looks a
bit odd without it.