Old March 5th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Why no assigned platforms?

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:14:12 +0000, Tristan Miller wrote:

OK, so maybe I should revise my question to "Given that both British and
continental railways allocate platforms well in advance, why is it that
continental railways are able to publish these allocations and generally
stick to them even in the event of delays?"

Because British culture and institutions as a whole have always preferred
flexibility instead of strict, rigid Germanic discipline. There's no
special reason why stations platforms should be any different, is there?

Admittedly this culture has been changing in recent years with British
elfin-safety regulations becoming stricter and stricter. Maybe other
aspects of British culture will follow suit - if so, we'll soon overtake
the Germans!
Old March 5th 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:30:58 +0000 (UTC), solar penguin
wrote:
Because British culture and institutions as a whole have always

preferred
flexibility instead of strict, rigid Germanic discipline. There's

no
special reason why stations platforms should be any different, is

there?

LM publish their platforms at Euston in advance, and are generally
very consistent.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old March 5th 11, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On 05/03/2011 11:30, solar penguin wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:14:12 +0000, Tristan Miller wrote:

OK, so maybe I should revise my question to "Given that both British and
continental railways allocate platforms well in advance, why is it that
continental railways are able to publish these allocations and generally
stick to them even in the event of delays?"

Because British culture and institutions as a whole have always preferred
flexibility instead of strict, rigid Germanic discipline. There's no
special reason why stations platforms should be any different, is there?

Admittedly this culture has been changing in recent years with British
elfin-safety regulations becoming stricter and stricter. Maybe other
aspects of British culture will follow suit - if so, we'll soon overtake
the Germans!

We long since have. When I went on a school exchange, the "xxx verboten"
signs were seen as noteworthy and foreign. These days they are
rereshingly sparse compared to all our "for the comfort and safety of
all users it is strictly prohibited to poke the tigers with a sharp
stick" notices.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK