Old March 12th 11, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Default Why no assigned platforms?

On Mar 7, 9:40*am, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 13:44:30 -0800 (PST)

NM wrote:
On Mar 4, 3:29=A0pm, wrote:

1 minute is
more than enough for someone who's not physically handicapped to walk fro=

one side to the other.

No it isn't, in crowded conditions I would allow much longer. also
consider many travel with bags having a platform allocated is a great
help in these circumstances.

*shrug* I guess you're all slow walkers. Its never taken me very long to
do it.

Thalys is good, even tell you where to stand on the platform, FGW will
not tell you at Paddington which platform the Penzance train leaves
from until 10 minutes before departure even when you can see it parked
there.

Perhaps they're still cleaning the train and don't want passengers in the
way?

B2003

There is no reason why the punters cannot be let on to the platform
and admitted to the train when it's ready and the doors are unlocked,
the reservation gives the coach and seat number this can be spotted
easily through the windows thus pre-positioning of self and baggage/
grandchildren etc. can be easily accomplished without the usual scrum.