Old March 20th 11, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Why no assigned platforms?

On Mar 20, 7:23*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
*Picking one day in isolation is unlikely to give a balanced view.

I agree with you, John B's post was complete ****e.

You are such a profound idiot it's simply not worth expending any
energ... trails off in abject disinterest

Old March 20th 11, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote:
Picking one day in isolation is unlikely to give a balanced view.

I agree with you, John B's post was complete ****e.

You are such a profound idiot it's simply not worth expending any
energ... trails off in abject disinterest

Why don't you blow it out of your arse? Oh, you were doing, please
continue, ****nuts.
Old March 21st 11, 03:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:
It was nonsense Steve in that you'd singularly failed to look-up or
at least mention the cheap Advance rail fares (which will have been
available for weeks and weeks now, they haven't just been released)
and instead just quoted the fully flexible GBP 202.70 fare.

I quoted the only fare that National Rail quoted to me. They didn't
offer any advance purchase or any other fare at all.

Yes they did. I've just checked Wednesday April 27th on National Rail:

Leaving From To Arriving Duration Changes Details
Select Single journey
Single fares based on 1 adult
07:00 London Kings Cross [KGX]
Edinburgh [EDB]
11:32 4h 32m 0 Details
£28.50 (Cheapest fare) Advance More fares
07:30 London Euston [EUS]
Edinburgh [EDB]
12:21 4h 51m
1 Details
£135.00 First Class Advance More fares
08:00 London Kings Cross [KGX]
Edinburgh [EDB]
12:31 4h 31m 0 Details
£36.50 Advance More fares
08:04 London Kings Cross [KGX]
Edinburgh [EDB]
13:05 5h 01m
1 Details
£146.00 Anytime More fares
09:00 London Kings Cross [KGX]
Edinburgh [EDB]
13:37 4h 37m 0 Details
£36.50 Advance More fares

In other words, you're a liar and an idiot.

JB
Old March 21st 11, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

John B wrote:

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:
It was nonsense Steve in that you'd singularly failed to look-up or
at least mention the cheap Advance rail fares (which will have been
available for weeks and weeks now, they haven't just been released)
and instead just quoted the fully flexible GBP 202.70 fare.

I quoted the only fare that National Rail quoted to me. They didn't
offer any advance purchase or any other fare at all.

Yes they did.

No, they didn't.

I've just checked Wednesday April 27th on National Rail:

How nice for you. And did you check the fare as I did on the day that I
did? No you didn't.

What is it with you railistas, why does your love of rail blind you to
the experience of the users of rail?
Old March 21st 11, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

John B wrote:

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:
[...]

Wed 27 Apr London (All stations) to Edinburgh [EDB]

06:15 London Kings Cross [KGX] Edinburgh [EDB] 11:08
4h 53m 0 Details
£202.70 Off-Peak
close

18:12 Edinburgh [EDB] London Euston [EUS] 23:38 5h 26m
1
close
Change information
Travel by Leaving From To Arriving
Train 18:12 Edinburgh [EDB] Carlisle [CAR] 19:33
Train 19:49 Carlisle [CAR] London Euston [EUS] 23:38
Details

In other words, you're a liar and an idiot.

Old March 21st 11, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:
[...]

The NR planner - ojp.nationalrail.co.uk - is quoting me GBP28.50 for the
0615 for Wednesday April 27 (and for the 0700, while the 0800 is
GBP36.50).

06:15 London Kings Cross [KGX]
Edinburgh [EDB]
11:08 4h 53m 0 Details
£28.50 (Cheapest fare) Advance More fares

I'd like to believe that NR rigs their website so that objectionable
dickheads get offered higher fares than everyone else, which helps keep
rail travel pleasant for the majority.

But I think it's more likely that you're too dim to work it properly.

JB
Old March 21st 11, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On 2011-03-21, John B wrote:
(Steve Firth) wrote in
:
It was nonsense Steve in that you'd singularly failed to look-up or
at least mention the cheap Advance rail fares (which will have been
available for weeks and weeks now, they haven't just been released)
and instead just quoted the fully flexible GBP 202.70 fare.

I quoted the only fare that National Rail quoted to me. They didn't
offer any advance purchase or any other fare at all.

Yes they did.

Blimey, you can read minds?

Apparently he can, and he's telling lies anyway. The National Rail
website is offering these prices for a return ticket:

£202.70, the cheapest off-peak fare.
£255.00, the cheapest off-peak first class
£292.00, for a return ticket
£384.00, for a first class return ticket.
Old March 21st 11, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

John B wrote:

I'd like to believe that NR rigs their website so that objectionable
dickheads get offered higher fares than everyone else

In which case you would be paying the highest fare of all.

The cheapest single offered by National Rail for that day is £65 BTW,
but buying a single ticket was not the object of the exercise, it was a
return ticket and I quoted the cheapest return available.

You're clearly either (a) a liar or (b) unhinged or (c) both.

If finding a cheaper fare involves anything more than specifying start
and end points and asking for a return ticket then clearly it is
pointless.

I also note that you specified a ticket that involves a change of trains
at Carlisle and that arrives at 23:88, you really are a liar and an
idiot if you think that a train that arrives six hours after most
business have locked the front door and after the restaurants have
closed and hotels have probably junked your reservation unless you paid
in advance is of use to anyone other than an obsessive rail freak.

And that's assuming that Useless Rail(tm) actually manage to stick to
their timetable, which is unlikely. Ryanair is more punctual than rail.
Old March 21st 11, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:

John B wrote:

I'd like to believe that NR rigs their website so that objectionable
dickheads get offered higher fares than everyone else

In which case you would be paying the highest fare of all.

The cheapest single offered by National Rail for that day is £65 BTW,

No it isn't. I've literally just been to the National Rail website and
seen the GBP28.50 fares that I mentioned. I've even taken a screenshot:
http://twitpic.com/4bqnfs

but buying a single ticket was not the object of the exercise, it was
a return ticket and I quoted the cheapest return available.

Cheap train tickets are only sold as point-to-point fares, like budget
air fares. So, erm, no.

You're clearly either (a) a liar or (b) unhinged or (c) both.

If finding a cheaper fare involves anything more than specifying start
and end points and asking for a return ticket then clearly it is
pointless.

Luckily, it doesn't. Which is why I'm confused as to what you've managed
to get wrong here.

I also note that you specified a ticket that involves a change of
trains at Carlisle and that arrives at 23:88, you really are a liar
and an idiot if you think that a train that arrives six hours after
most business have locked the front door and after the restaurants
have closed and hotels have probably junked your reservation unless
you paid in advance is of use to anyone other than an obsessive rail
freak.

No, *you* posted that one. I was looking at trains that go directly from
KX to EDB, departing between 6AM and 10AM.

And that's assuming that Useless Rail(tm) actually manage to stick to
their timetable, which is unlikely. Ryanair is more punctual than
rail.

Sceptical, but it's not really relevant to the debate in general.

JB
Old March 21st 11, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Mar 21, 9:31*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:

hotels have probably junked your reservation unless you paid
in advance

Not convinced of that argument; most hotels of any size these days
will take a credit card number as guarantee, and I would be very
annoyed if my room if so guaranteed was given away even if I arrived
at 4am.

Possibly true for smaller hotels and B&Bs that lock up at night, I
suppose. But I have on a number of occasions, for business travel
purposes, travelled the night before and arrived at the hotel around
midnight. It isn't at all unusual if you've got a long journey,
something to do the day before and a 9am meeting.

Neil