Old December 20th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

Conor wrote:

We have entire villages where the only locally born people there are
those who bought their homes decades ago and never moved.

And they probably own the local pub and shop.

I'm sure they're very happy that they now have a local population of
wealthy stock brokers to replace the inbred mouth-breathers that once
resided there. :-)

Old December 20th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...

The world is full of people who would rather live in a/the house they can't
afford to buy.

This applies to people living and working in a rural community. People
like agricultural workers.

--
Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"
Old December 20th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...

Well I'm sure permission could be granted for the construction of a few
extra houses to satisfy some of the demand.

Nope. Govt policy on greenfield sites.

Old December 20th 03, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote...

... what is happening here is that
people living in the South East are selling up and moving up here to
retire because of the cheaper housing. The problem is that they
contribute so little to the local economy that the wages have remained
static whilst the house prices have shot up 100%. Even a couple on
decent wages for the area can no longer afford to buy a house on a 3
times multiplier of annual earnings.

This very different from what you usually tell us about house prices up
north.

Why is that?

Old December 20th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote:

It is compared to most of the country but the local wages are dire.
The
cost of housing in villages though has risen far faster than that of
the towns. You'll be lucky to find a house in a village for sale under
£150,000. Considering that the average wage around here is £12,000,
how
can even a working couple afford to buy?

They have to live with parents and wait to inherit. Just like it always used
to be.

Life goes on.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William

Old December 20th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote:

People
like agricultural workers.

As opposed to truckers. :-)

Old December 20th 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Silk wrote in message

Conor wrote:

People like agricultural workers.

As opposed to truckers. :-)

Hmmm...

(a) People are attacted to agricultural workers but can't stick truckers.

(b) Truckers can/cannot be like agricultural workers.

Hmmmm........