Old December 20th 03, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

Conor wrote...

What about people in rural villages who were born there but are unable
to buy property because people from cities have bought up all the
houses and pushed up the prices beyond reach?

In what sense are they "in" said 'rural villages' if they cannot afford to
live there?

Old December 20th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article , CastIron_881
@hotmail.com says...

But it is the question of affordability in relation to local wages that is
the cause for concern.

We have entire villages where the only locally born people there are
those who bought their homes decades ago and never moved. The rest
simply can't afford to buy. The sad fact is that the effect is also
spreading into the towns in East Yorks to the point that no locals will
be able to afford to buy.

--
Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"
Old December 20th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"JNugent" wrote the following
in:

Conor wrote...

What about people in rural villages who were born there but are
unable to buy property because people from cities have bought up
all the houses and pushed up the prices beyond reach?

In what sense are they "in" said 'rural villages' if they cannot
afford to live there?

They may have a house that's too small or be living with their parents
and trying to move out.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Robin May may be my name, but Robin is my first name.
Old December 20th 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote:
In article , CastIron_881
@hotmail.com says...

But it is the question of affordability in relation to local wages
that is the cause for concern.

We have entire villages where the only locally born people there are
those who bought their homes decades ago and never moved. The rest
simply can't afford to buy. The sad fact is that the effect is also
spreading into the towns in East Yorks to the point that no locals
will be able to afford to buy.

Basic laws of supply and demand, I'm afraid. In large parts of the country
it's now the case that someone on average wages can't get on the property
ladder. But life goes on, somehow.

In general the response to this seems to be that kids continue to live with
their parents to an ever later age.

Where locations are within commuting reach of major cities I don't see that
restricting second home ownership would make any difference.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William

Old December 20th 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message
.4...

"JNugent" wrote:

Conor wrote...

What about people in rural villages who were born there but are
unable to buy property because people from cities have bought up
all the houses and pushed up the prices beyond reach?

In what sense are they "in" said 'rural villages' if they cannot
afford to live there?

They may have a house that's too small or be living with their parents
and trying to move out.

The world is full of people who would rather live in a/the house they can't
afford to buy.

It certainly applies to me.

I bet it applies to you, and to the PP.

Old December 20th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote...

CastIron_881 @hotmail.com says...

But it is the question of affordability in relation to local wages that

is
the cause for concern.

We have entire villages where the only locally born people there are
those who bought their homes decades ago and never moved. The rest
simply can't afford to buy. The sad fact is that the effect is also
spreading into the towns in East Yorks to the point that no locals will
be able to afford to buy.

That's odd, Conor.

You are forever telling us how cheap housing is up there.

Hmmm? :-)

Old December 20th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"JNugent" wrote in message
Conor wrote...

CastIron_881 @hotmail.com says...

But it is the question of affordability in relation to local wages

that
is
the cause for concern.

We have entire villages where the only locally born people there are
those who bought their homes decades ago and never moved. The rest
simply can't afford to buy. The sad fact is that the effect is also
spreading into the towns in East Yorks to the point that no locals will
be able to afford to buy.

That's odd, Conor.

You are forever telling us how cheap housing is up there.

Hmmm? :-)

Heh - "certain villages" of course.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old December 20th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Oliver Keating wrote:

1) Social justice

People who are not prepared to work should get no money. That's social
justice.

Old December 20th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Conor" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Given the that the increased road congestion in Friday and Sunday
evenings
is caused by many people going and from to their country cottages

for
the
weekend, isn't it time that second homes attracted a punative rate

of
council tax?

An added bonus of this would be to free-up houses in rural and other
touristy areas that young people on local wages could afford to buy

or
rent
who would then spend money in the local economy.

Absouletely. Anyone with a second home should be made to absolutely

pay
through-the-nose for it.

Are you suggesting then that people who buy a small flat near their

place of
work and have a house in the suburbs or countryside where the rest of

their
family live should be penalised for it? Surely you would advocate people
living close to where they work and reducing their reliance upon the
transport infrastructure? Taxes like everything work both ways.

What about people in rural villages who were born there but are unable
to buy property because people from cities have bought up all the
houses and pushed up the prices beyond reach?

Well I'm sure permission could be granted for the construction of a few
extra houses to satisfy some of the demand.