Old December 26th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

Cast_Iron wrote in message

Ian Smith wrote:

... Tax all income at the same base
%, rich or poor; and abolish all other forms of taxation,
which are nothing more than a tax on already-taxed income.

Yup, I'd go for that. I'm sure most pensioners and other non income tax
payers would welcome it.

Why?

Their income - whatever it happened to be - would fall into the category
"all income". As well as dividends and interest receipts, that would include
pensions, child benefit, jobseeker's allowance, supplementary benefit, etc,
etc (indeed, it would have to if *all* other taxes were abolished).

Don't forget it's an income tax, not an earnings tax.

Old December 26th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Greg Hennessy wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:09:19 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

So of all the people who commute into London by car (of
which there is still a significant number I understand)
none of them work in the vicinity of Charing Cross?
Seems a bit unlukely to me, especially as at least one
office block along the Strand has it's own sub-surface
car park.

Your attempt to move the goalposts is noted.

Merely respnsing to the previous post,

By attempting to introdce a straw man argument about cars
when none were mentioned.

Wasn't me that introduced cars, was it you?

Old December 26th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

As a fairly recent subscriber here, I noticed that..

"JNugent" and many other subscribers to this 'reducing congestion' thread
wrote about..

Housing and the lack of it..(tent & caravan shares are now on the up in the
UK)
Right to Buy council houses..(not forgetting negative equity)
Maggie Thatcher.. (aaarrrgghhhh!!)
Trade Unions.. (Gawd bless 'em)
Ted Heath.. (can't really remember him as PM)
Income tax..(we have to tolerate it)
Earnings tax..(same thing init?)
Tories..(can't stand 'em)
New Labour..( *any* kind of Labour Govt is better than a Tory Govt).

...with so many other subjects wrapped within the this thread.. I'd need a
week off work to catch up.

What seems to be conspicuous by it's absence in this thread are ideas on
*how* to reduce road congestion? I have my own ideas which would reduce
road congestion the UK.. "at a stroke" (to quote Maggie).

But, as this thread is already 3 miles long.. full of humps and hairpin
bends, and in all probability has run itself into exhaustion: I doubt very
much if any subscriber here would really want to know the most *effective*
way to reduce road congestion and make driving in the UK a pleasure once
more.

Believe me.. I know *exactly* how to bring that about. :-)

Luke.

Old December 26th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

JNugent wrote:
Cast_Iron wrote in message

Ian Smith wrote:

... Tax all income at the same base
%, rich or poor; and abolish all other forms of taxation,
which are nothing more than a tax on already-taxed income.

Yup, I'd go for that. I'm sure most pensioners and other
non income tax payers would welcome it.

Why?

Their income - whatever it happened to be - would fall into
the category "all income". As well as dividends and
interest receipts, that would include pensions, child
benefit, jobseeker's allowance, supplementary benefit, etc,
etc (indeed, it would have to if *all* other taxes were
abolished).

Don't forget it's an income tax, not an earnings tax.

Not quite true, some income is exmpt from tax, but like all things that can
be changed.

Old December 26th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Cast_Iron wrote in message

JNugent wrote:

Cast_Iron wrote:

Ian Smith wrote:

... Tax all income at the same base
%, rich or poor; and abolish all other forms of taxation,
which are nothing more than a tax on already-taxed income.

Yup, I'd go for that. I'm sure most pensioners and other
non income tax payers would welcome it.

Why?
Their income - whatever it happened to be - would fall into
the category "all income". As well as dividends and
interest receipts, that would include pensions, child
benefit, jobseeker's allowance, supplementary benefit, etc,
etc (indeed, it would have to if *all* other taxes were
abolished).

Don't forget it's an income tax, not an earnings tax.

Not quite true, some income is exmpt from tax, but like all things that

can
be changed.

No, that's not right. The PP posited a tax (and you supported it) on *all
income*.

If there were exemptions, it wouldn't be a tax on all income.

QED.

Old December 27th 03, 12:59 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Cast_Iron wrote:
"Aidan Stanger" wrote...
Cast_Iron wrote:

So of all the people who commute into London by car (of which there is
still a significant number I understand) none of them work in the
vicinity of Charing Cross? Seems a bit unlukely to me, especially as
at least one office block along the Strand has it's own sub-surface
car park.

Of course some people commute to that area by car. However, I'd expect
most (if not all) of those people to be commuting from other parts of
London.

London has an extremely large "travel to work" area that extends well beyond
its boundaries, so yes some people who work in central London certainly
commute from other parts of London, but there is a significant number who
live well outside.

Yes. However, commuting by car to the Charing Cross area from outside
London is far too much hassle for most people.
Old December 27th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:52:17 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

By attempting to introdce a straw man argument about cars
when none were mentioned.

Wasn't me that introduced cars, was it you?

Liar.

"A one hour commute by your favoured mode is only about ten miles at most."

greg

--
Once you try my burger baby,you'll grow a new thyroid gland.
I said just eat my burger, baby,make you smart as Charlie Chan.
Old December 27th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Conor" wrote in message...

Ah, you've missed the point of uk.rec.driving completely.

THe point of this newsgroup is to start a thread off with one on topic
post then see how far away we can get from it.

Conor

Thanks for that Conor.

Ah'm a little bitty wiser now :-)
Luke.