Old December 23rd 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Metropolian Line question

In article , Bill Hayles wrote:

With the advent of the A60 and A62 stock, scrapping started in
either 1961 or 1962 (I'm not sure). The last Uxbridge service was
on 15th March 1963, and the last of all on the East London line on
7th September 1963.

My ride on the East London line must have been only a few weeks before
the end of the service.

It's a shame none were preserved. They were unique, quite *[un]*like
anything before or since.

I'll second that. At that time my normal mode of travel was
wooden-bodied Q-converted District stock, and I also sampled early
standard tube stock somewhere (with centre door posts). That must have
been on the GNCR.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old December 24th 03, 04:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Matthew P Jones wrote in message ...

I have some details of the services through Amersham in the 1930s on my
web site - see sig below if you are interested

Matthew,

Your Websites are great. Then, the subject matter does interest me,
being a Bucks guy and a rail enthusiast. :-)

Adrian.

(Webmaster http://www.losangelesmetro.net/)
Old December 24th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:48:52 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
been on the GNCR.

District Q stock was steel bodied.

Which Q stock are you referring to, there was more than one?

Are you going to write the twenty page essay, or shall I, Colin?

To Cast_Iron - the story of the Q stock is a long and complex one on
which Colin and I have written extensively in the past in this group
and uk.railway.

There were a great many variations within the general classification
"Q", some obvious to the layman (Q38 versus the rest), others of
interest to the anoraks like me.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com
Old December 24th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote on Mon, 22 Dec 2003 -
In the 1950's I lived in North Harrow and think the Met had only two

tracks
running between Harrow on the Hill and Moor Park and beyond. A recent

photo
shows a second set of lines on the south west side of the station.

That could of course have been the BR (ex-GCR) lines. South of and

including
Harrow-on-the-Hill they are on the south-western side of the formation,
giving Harrow three island platforms (from south to north Marylebone
down/up, Met down and Met up). I can't remember whether this arrangement
continues north of Harrow Junction.

As far as I've been able to gather from various sources, Harrow-On-The-Hill
has always been the point where, heading south, the GC and Met parted ways.
In "Great Central Railway's London Extension" by Robert Robotham, two
different track plans are given for Harrow-On-The-Hill:

If it is of any interest, I have put a picture of Harrow on the Hill in
the 1930s here

http://www.metroland.nildram.co.uk/harrow.htm

I don't have full details of the picture to hand, but you can see the
new station being built over the old
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it