Old May 5th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Out boundary travelcard 'the wrong way' ?

If I were in (say) Reading, and I wanted to (in this order):

- travel from Reading to London (once)
- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)

all in one day, I could buy from Reading a Reading to Z1-6 One Day
TravelCard (called an 'out boundary travelcard', I think), which would
let me do all that.

*But* I am in London, and I want to (in this order):

- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)
- travel from Reading to London (once)

all in one day. Readers will of course notice that this is the same set
of journeys, but in a different order. I have three questions:

1) Is a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC valid for this travel?

assuming it is, then:
2) Am I _allowed_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

assuming I am, then:
3) Will I be _able_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

Many thanks for any answers!

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old May 5th 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In oups.com,
Larry Lard typed:

*But* I am in London, and I want to (in this order):

- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)
- travel from Reading to London (once)

all in one day. Readers will of course notice that this is the same
set of journeys, but in a different order. I have three questions:

1) Is a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC valid for this travel?

No. A Reading Travelcard is the same as a Day Return + Z1-6 ODTC. If
you did as you suggest, you would be using the Return portion before the
Outward - not allowed.

assuming it is, then:
2) Am I _allowed_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

assuming I am, then:
3) Will I be _able_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

Wrong assumptions. What you need to do is to buy your Z1-6 Travelcard
in the normal way PLUS a CDR or SDR from Z6 boundary to Reading (you
will have to do this at a National Rail station. The combined fare is
likely to be little different from the Reading Travelcard.

To go back to your questions 2 and 3, there is no reason that you
shouldn't be able to buy such a ticket from your 'random station' as
long as it is NR - but as it's not the right ticket there's no nedd to
test it out.

--
Bob

Old May 5th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:

I am in London, and I want to (in this order):

- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)
- travel from Reading to London (once)

all in one day. Readers will of course notice that this is the same set
of journeys, but in a different order. I have three questions:

1) Is a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC valid for this travel?

No. You need to get a regular ODTC, and then get a CDR from Boundary
Zone 6 to Reading. Note that this ticket combination will only valid on
those TOCs that stop somewhere else in the Travelcard area after the
terminal, so you can't use FGW of the non-"Link" variety.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old May 5th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bob Wood" wrote in news:rhK6g.2184$Da5.975
@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Wrong assumptions. What you need to do is to buy your Z1-6 Travelcard
in the normal way PLUS a CDR or SDR from Z6 boundary to Reading (you
will have to do this at a National Rail station. The combined fare is
likely to be little different from the Reading Travelcard.

Is that cheaper than getting a Z-1 Travelcard and then getting a cheap one-
day return from Paddington-Reading-Paddington?
Old May 5th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Larry Lard wrote:

I am in London, and I want to (in this order):

- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)
- travel from Reading to London (once)

all in one day. Readers will of course notice that this is the
same set of journeys, but in a different order. I have three
questions: 1) Is a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC valid for this travel?

No. You need to get a regular ODTC, and then get a CDR from Boundary
Zone 6 to Reading. Note that this ticket combination will only
valid on those TOCs that stop somewhere else in the Travelcard area
after the terminal, so you can't use FGW of the non-"Link" variety.

Since 1 April 2006, it's all one franchise called First Great Western,
so surely that distinction doesn't apply any more?
--
Richard J.

Old May 5th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
. 109.145...
"Bob Wood" wrote in news:rhK6g.2184$Da5.975
@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Wrong assumptions. What you need to do is to buy your Z1-6 Travelcard
in the normal way PLUS a CDR or SDR from Z6 boundary to Reading (you
will have to do this at a National Rail station. The combined fare is
likely to be little different from the Reading Travelcard.

Is that cheaper than getting a Z-1 Travelcard and then getting a cheap
one-
day return from Paddington-Reading-Paddington?

But the OP said he wanted to "pootle around London (lots)"; that method
would restrict his pootling to zone 1.

Old May 5th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 05 May 2006 16:46:04 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

No. You need to get a regular ODTC, and then get a CDR from Boundary
Zone 6 to Reading. Note that this ticket combination will only
valid on those TOCs that stop somewhere else in the Travelcard area
after the terminal, so you can't use FGW of the non-"Link" variety.

Since 1 April 2006, it's all one franchise called First Great Western,
so surely that distinction doesn't apply any more?

That particular one doesn't, although AFAIK CDRs can still be used in
the evening peak on ex-FGWL services, but not "ex-FGW" ones.
Old May 5th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In . 109.145,
Tristán White typed:

"Bob Wood" wrote in news:rhK6g.2184$Da5.975
@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Wrong assumptions. What you need to do is to buy your Z1-6
Travelcard in the normal way PLUS a CDR or SDR from Z6 boundary to
Reading (you will have to do this at a National Rail station. The
combined fare is likely to be little different from the Reading
Travelcard.

Is that cheaper than getting a Z-1 Travelcard and then getting a
cheap one- day return from Paddington-Reading-Paddington?

There isn't such a thing as a Z1Travelcard.

Bob

Old May 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bob Wood" wrote
There isn't such a thing as a Z1Travelcard.

Which perhaps makes any future amalgamation of zones 1 & 2 easier to
implement.

Old May 5th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:
[snip]

Wow you people are fast. Thanks to everyone for your help

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please