Old April 27th 11, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
18:20:02 on Tue, 26 Apr 2011,
remarked:
The railway only extended to Fen Drayton by then.

About here then:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4580596

Oh dear, more track that we should have stopped people ripping up,
so they could run trains on it!

That was a railway under engineers' possession at the time.

I'd love to see them get an engineer's train down there. Were
things like the Milton Rd level crossing in a working enough
condition?

ITYF that's a common problem with railway lines under engineers'
possession, Roland! Presumably some engineers' attention could have
overcome the problems. My children travelled on it despite the fact that
the oldest was born more than 16 years after passenger closure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 27th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:10:39
on Wed, 27 Apr 2011, remarked:

About here then:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4580596

Oh dear, more track that we should have stopped people ripping up,
so they could run trains on it!

That was a railway under engineers' possession at the time.

I'd love to see them get an engineer's train down there. Were
things like the Milton Rd level crossing in a working enough
condition?

ITYF that's a common problem with railway lines under engineers'
possession, Roland! Presumably some engineers' attention could have
overcome the problems. My children travelled on it despite the fact that
the oldest was born more than 16 years after passenger closure.

Not difficult given that passenger closure was over 40 years ago. They'd
have last been able to travel on it in about 1990 I suppose, which still
gives 17 years for that vegetation to grow.
Old April 28th 11, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
It doesn't seem ambiguous to me (all Network Rail stuff):

"CAST.IRON trains will terminate at the west side of Milton
Road. Here two new platforms will be constructed, one for
CAST.IRON trains and one for Network Rail trains.

4.2. Network Rail Trackway

"A new 70mph track will be laid from Chesterton Junction to
Milton Road station, running parallel to the CAST.IRON access
track.

"This new Network Rail track spur will cross Milton Road to
reach the new station.... [and] will be overhead electrified.

The possible point of ambiguity being about who was paying for this. It was
clearly stated at the meeting I went to that this was included in
CAST.IRON's costings.

Theo

Old April 29th 11, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:52:50 on Thu,
28 Apr 2011, Theo Markettos
remarked:
It doesn't seem ambiguous to me (all Network Rail stuff):

"CAST.IRON trains will terminate at the west side of Milton
Road. Here two new platforms will be constructed, one for
CAST.IRON trains and one for Network Rail trains.

4.2. Network Rail Trackway

"A new 70mph track will be laid from Chesterton Junction to
Milton Road station, running parallel to the CAST.IRON access
track.

"This new Network Rail track spur will cross Milton Road to
reach the new station.... [and] will be overhead electrified.

The possible point of ambiguity being about who was paying for this. It was
clearly stated at the meeting I went to that this was included in
CAST.IRON's costings.

The estimates for Chesterton Sidings Station exceed CAST.IRON's *total*
costings for Cambridge to St Ives, and CSS needs less extra
electrification and no new level crossing on Milton Road. That's the
sort of thing which makes me sceptical about the costings and who is
paying what.
Old May 11th 11, 01:26 PM
Junior Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Every other day there seems to be some major signal failure or even
worse such as last nights power failure. Are there any competant engineers
left in this country?

B2003
I would have thought that the problems on the Jubillee Line were less to do with incompetent engineers, rather it is due to putting construction of the JLE out to the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for. I undertsand that the JLE has quite a few design problems making maintenance difficult. Engineers would never have built such a poor system without the undue influence of politicians and accountants.

When maintenance of the Central Line was taken in-house around 2000 it began to work properly despite issues surrounding the trains, proving LU engineers are better than contractors' engineers.

Last edited by Steve Gardiner : May 11th 11 at 01:30 PM
Old May 12th 11, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 19:43:34
on Wed, 11 May 2011, remarked:

Apparently this was the reason for the tripcock being cut out then
- the driver had to apply the rule at a signal, got tripped, and
then the tripcock couldn't be reset (it's reset by pulling on a
piece of rope and this can sometimes fail) and so it was cut out.

So his offence was not waiting for a second man?

That's what it looks like to me, yes.