Old April 23rd 11, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

On 22 Apr 2011 19:18:37 +0100 (BST)
Theo Markettos wrote:
I had a wander down it this afternoon. The concrete beam sides have small
gullies (about 1" across and deep) across the top surface, about 2 or 3 per
beam. There's already what looks like freeze-thaw weathering, to the extent
that pretty much every gully has a crack leading down, that's the height of
the beam side (about 8").

It may be this is a design 'feature', but it doesn't bode well. These beams
were only laid last year. A few look like they've been bodge-patched with
cement.

In other news, the busway has finally been signed off by the contractor.
Only 2.5 years late...
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...er-21042011.ht

Sounds like its turning out to be an entire herd of white elephants. I'm
glad its not me paying council tax up there. I wonder if the law should
get involved at some point over this given how much less re-opening the
railway would have cost and how much more useful it would have been.
Something smells bad to me.

B2003

Old April 23rd 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:40:58 on Sat, 23 Apr
2011, d remarked:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...er-21042011.ht

Sounds like its turning out to be an entire herd of white elephants. I'm
glad its not me paying council tax up there.

The County Council has always insisted that the line won't cost council
tax payers anything. If it turns out that it does, then that'll be a
quite separate issue.

I wonder if the law should get involved at some point over this given
how much less re-opening the railway would have cost and how much more
useful it would have been.

The sort of problems involved in making the route fit for a bus would
have applied even more so for a train. There's no chance the route could
have been used for a train instead at anything like this price.

Something smells bad to me.

It's a fairly typical set of civil engineering over-runs, unexpected
glitches, and arguments about the specification. A railway would also
have needed fancy measures to be built over gas main, a new viaduct over
the river (and suitable drainage), a big new P&R car park. It doesn't
make sense, for example, to imagine that a railway station car park
would have had any different issues to the bus stop.
Old April 23rd 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 10:59:10 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
I wonder if the law should get involved at some point over this given
how much less re-opening the railway would have cost and how much more
useful it would have been.

The sort of problems involved in making the route fit for a bus would
have applied even more so for a train. There's no chance the route could
have been used for a train instead at anything like this price.

Umm, you are apparently unaware that almost all of the route actually was an
old mothballed railway line with most of the track and stations still in situ
up until the point that they ripped it up to build this busway.

B2003

Old April 23rd 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:16:06 on Sat, 23 Apr
2011, d remarked:
I wonder if the law should get involved at some point over this given
how much less re-opening the railway would have cost and how much more
useful it would have been.

The sort of problems involved in making the route fit for a bus would
have applied even more so for a train. There's no chance the route could
have been used for a train instead at anything like this price.

Umm, you are apparently unaware that almost all of the route actually was an
old mothballed railway line with most of the track and stations still in situ
up until the point that they ripped it up to build this busway.

I am perfectly aware of that. What you seem unaware of, however, is what
a poor state it was in ("mothballed" is a bit optimistic), and how much
work was required on ancillary aspects. I don't think any of the
stations were re-openable, for example, all the level crossings were
missing, and several large items like a viaduct over the river were
beyond repair.

Unless you can some to terms with that, you'll never understand why
reopening as a railway would have been very costly.

I'm not convinced that it's best as a busway, a tram would be by
preferred option. But the Nottingham tramway extensions are costing
vastly more than the guided bus, even though one of the extensions is
again mainly on an old railway line.

One of the objections in Nottingham is that the railway line is now a
nature trail, and the Cambridge busway would have been much more
difficult to justify had they not been able to accommodate walkers and
cycles (and some horse crossings) into the design.